Training for an 80 mile ride

coopsman1
coopsman1 Posts: 337
I have just started to get into road biking after a few years of mountain biking. I have also decided to help raise funds for the BHF by taking part in an 80 mile bike ride.

My question is can anyone provide me with some helpful training tips into achieving this sort of distance. The most I have done before is 40 miles and I have to admit I did not take care of myself during the ride and started o suffer from cramps towards the end.

The event is on the 2nd Oct so I have a fair bit of time to train but it really was a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Can anyone provide some sort of structured training prog or even something I should be aiming to achieve each week?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• just get out and ride. Make sure you put some long rides in at the weekend (or whenever you're off work). If you just want to get round, there's no secret to it, you just need to get some miles in.

You don't have to ride 80 miles in training if you don't want, but getting up to 60 miles would be a good idea.

When riding, make sure you eat lots and drink electrolyte sports drinks.
  • p.s. the eat lots & sports drinks comments apply to longer rides. Not necessary on shorter rides.