Broomfield Casualties

2»

Comments

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    50 mph.. thats nothing.

I went down there the other night and my Garmin said I was approaching 186,282 miles per second. As my training partner Albert pointed out, at these speeds my mass and my length approached infinity (even without panniers). However, the benefit of this is that my volume decreases to zero which was lucky, as I managed to fit between the gap between two cars as I approached the roundabout.

Relatively speaking, 50 mph is peanuts
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    50 mph.. thats nothing.

I went down there the other night and my Garmin said I was approaching 186,282 miles per second. As my training partner Albert pointed out, at these speeds my mass and my length approached infinity (even without panniers). However, the benefit of this is that my volume decreases to zero which was lucky, as I managed to fit between the gap between two cars as I approached the roundabout.

Should that be "relativity"?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Gussio wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    50 mph.. thats nothing.

Should that be "relativity"?

thatsthejoke.jpg

;)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    pangolin wrote:
    Personally my 62.8 mph best was set during my cameo in the London Surrey Cycle Classic Road Race, which I went on to win.

You must've done very well indeed, as the route didn't even go down Broomfield ;)
    Yes well I was quite far ahead so decided to add a detour to let the others catch up a bit. you may have seen pictures of me in my Assos gear when I was letting them ride with me.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    Saw a Ambulance at the bottom of the hill again tonight, not sure what it was for as i was coming down from the Pen Ponds.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited March 2013
    You London boys and your hill descending.... :roll: :roll:

:wink::wink::D

ETA - just noticed that it was a thread resurrection by some spamming muppet - but, still....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pangolin
    In our defence meanredspider, this was 2 years ago. We've all managed 60mph down there now.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    pangolin wrote:
    In our defence meanredspider, this was 2 years ago. We've all managed 60mph down there now.

I should think so too. Roger has since done 80mph on a unicycle though 8) :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pangolin
    A fixed unicycle no less. Truly an inspiration to behold.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    One of my GPs is a keen cyclist and she did hit a squirrel or a rabbit going down Broomfield. She broke 4 ribs and damaged a lung. She says she's a lot more careful down there nowadays.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    One of my GPs is a keen cyclist and she did hit a squirrel or a rabbit going down Broomfield. She broke 4 ribs and damaged a lung. She says she's a lot more careful down there nowadays.

I bet. When I'm descending quick I tend to have my "motor racing head" on (ie blank out the consequences of a major "off") whilst concentrating very hard.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    ..... she did hit a squirrel or a rabbit going down Broomfield. ...... She says she's a lot more careful down there nowadays.

A friend on mine once had a nasty experience with a beaver. He's a lot more careful about going down there nowadays too :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I find it a great hill to learn descending. As a descender, I would say I am not an 'ambiturner'. I am quite happy making a sharp left at speed at the top of sawyers, using the cobbles to mark the racing line, but always chicken out down Broomfield. Its actually easier if you don't brake, keep looking up and use good descending technique to hold your line.

After about 18 months of laps of that god forsaken park, I am now happily freewheeling down without braking. Don't think i've hit 40 yet. 36 I think is my best, perhaps 38 if I pedal hard after passing the big tree.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Come on Roger, GPS log or it didn't happen!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Actually at the moment, it's a bit sketchy descending Broomfield. There is some kind of construction going on down the little track to the left ( http://goo.gl/maps/xZgPc ) - so there's a lot of dirt on the road at the top of the hill (there are some helpful signs warning you of mud on the road - but no sign of anyone actually cleaning it up!). The mud isn't actually on the hill - but once you've gone through a load of dirt, I find I don't quite have the trust I normally do in my tyres for a few hundred metres until they've cleaned up again.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    I noticed the cars have tracked the mud down the hill, there is a lot of loose sh*t on the side and in the middle of the road. Did three laps on Wed and was descending in the "clear tyre tracks", didn't fancy going hell for leather plus the wind was bitter!!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I've been twice this week - but it's been fairly dry. Now we've had a bit of rain, it'll be a bit hairier as more mud gets carried down the hill.

Just needs a bit of extra caution on the top section.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sketchley wrote:
    I had a squirrel almost run into my front wheel down there a couple of weeks back. would have been nasty.

Yeh you could have squashed it then how would you feel? bad man!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:
    47mph down Broomfield Hill without pedalling is utter bullshit. It's nowhere near steep enough.

+1

Sorry your garmin or whatever must be fooked, i've hit +50mph once in Wales and once in the Alps on very long descents and I have the weight to make that work, so hitting 40mph in a few hundreds yards can't be right.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    itboffin wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    47mph down Broomfield Hill without pedalling is utter bullshit. It's nowhere near steep enough.

+1

Sorry your garmin or whatever must be fooked, i've hit +50mph once in Wales and once in the Alps on very long descents and I have the weight to make that work, so hitting 40mph in a few hundreds yards can't be right.

I hit 42 on Broomfield. #280lb+ and pedalling at the time...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    yeh but do you have garmin data? no? well i do and i went 4,386.0 mph

FACT

see http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200931932

it's on my garmin so it must be true

see me? AWESOME I am
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    On looking it might have been 39.7 http://app.strava.com/activities/13672672#z981|1010

Still, I'm pretty sure that's the run I finished with brown bibs.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?