Broomfield Casualties

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,632
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone else noticed the recent spate of injuries?

Last week I went up there and there was a guy sitting on the verge, bike nearby, another cyclist and a driver stopped already. I asked if they were ok and went on my way, he was talking and said he just needed a sit down for a bit.

Last night on my way home there was 4 or 5 cyclists stopped with their bikes on either side of the road, and one guy lying almost on the verge (slightly on the road) on the left as you go up the hill. Not sure how he managed that. He didn't seem in a good way, and they had him in the recovery position. Visible grazes on his back. Just as I got to the top of the hill an ambulance came past with it's lights on.

Anyone know any more about this? Hope he is ok.

Anyways, be careful on the hill.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• It's a easy hill to go fast on, I clocked close on 50mph the other day looking back at the GPS data. and that was just freewheeling (no spike but a smooth curve up and then down)

this said you have good sight lines bar one tree but pull further out and that isn't a issue.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    50 mph! Kph?

Yep, careful down there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    50 mph! Kph?

Yep, careful down there.

My thoughts exactly. 50mph on Broomfield? Surely not.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, a bit of a sketchy descent. I keep it on the left-hand side and have a watchful eye on the undergrowth: thar be dragons*

* deer and bunny wabbits
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I had a squirrel almost run into my front wheel down there a couple of weeks back. Would of been nasty.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Broomfield? Never heard of it. Must be somewhere in East Leeds (I never go there :lol: )
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp wrote:
    50 mph! Kph?

Yep, careful down there.

47mph though worth pointing out thats peak, plenty average 30mph and some get close to 40mph average.

I'm SS so once to honest I just freewheel down. i tend to feather the brakes for the first bend and then let the bike roll on. though that requires a clear run, I'm just not prepared to overtake etc. I normally take the trail by the side as gets you out of the way of cars and bikes.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    47mph is blood quick down there!

I brake for the first corner but don't risk it for the second; that's where I've seen most accidents. Folks go too quickly into the hill and then brake too hard on the second which straightens them up and puts them into the kerb.

I tend to take the first corner on the left and the second on the right when it's dry but the gravel between the two tyre tracks is always a concern.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    47 mph is about the fastest I've ever gone, and that was a far longer, straighter hill. I had to pedal fast to do it on a geared road bike. Seriously doubt you freewheeled to that on a short downhill corner. No offense.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Asprilla wrote:
    47mph is blood quick down there!

I brake for the first corner but don't risk it for the second; that's where I've seen most accidents. Folks go too quickly into the hill and then brake too hard on the second which straightens them up and puts them into the kerb.

I tend to take the first corner on the left and the second on the right when it's dry but the gravel between the two tyre tracks is always a concern.

yup I got overtaken on the brow of the hill a while back by a triathlete who I gave plenty of space and was glad of the fact as she jammed on the brakes just before first bend making her bike stand up and jump of line.

I pulled next to her and chatted for a while scarily she wasn't even aware how close she had come.

in the dry I scrub of speed before the first and once though the bend I come out to the right early to get the view though the bend. though I'm slowing by then as I'm just freewheeling.
  • pangolin wrote:
    47 mph is about the fastest I've ever gone, and that was a far longer, straighter hill. I had to pedal fast to do it on a geared road bike. Seriously doubt you freewheeled to that on a short downhill corner. No offense.

it's a short steep hill, the fastest (which I'm not) average very close to 40mph from the top to bottom. and plenty hit 42/43 mph or so. it's only a touch more.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Was out getting wet in the park tonight and saw a group stopped just after Richmond Gate, going ACW. One woman was in quite some distress but everyone was stood up and no riders appeared to be injured. I think it was a youth cycling club as some were quite young and there was one guy who was obviously the coach. Hopefully it wasn't anything too serious, just a strange place for something to have happened.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    Was out getting wet in the park tonight and saw a group stopped just after Richmond Gate, going ACW. One woman was in quite some distress but everyone was stood up and no riders appeared to be injured. I think it was a youth cycling club as some were quite young and there was one guy who was obviously the coach. Hopefully it wasn't anything too serious, just a strange place for something to have happened.

people bunch up at that point maybe?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    47mph down Broomfield Hill without pedalling is utter bullshit. It's nowhere near steep enough.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    47mph down Broomfield Hill without pedalling is utter bullshit. It's nowhere near steep enough.

watch people go down the hill and if really bored look at the the power data, and the story is the same power to the brow of the hill, only going back on once past both corners.

gravity will do the work for you it doesn't need to be that steep play with various bike power calculators if you don't believe me.

which was my original point that you don't need to be fit or skilled to go fast, just need gravity.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The only time I've found a hill up North that I've touched 50 was coming off the top of Swaledale down to Kirkby Stephen and the Southeast side of the Nick of Pendle. I find the hill needs to be seriously steep and have total visibility and a decent length of straight. Doesn't happen often. To be fair, practice makes perfect but the hill outside my house is probably a match for the worst London has to offer and I rarely beat 40 coming down that. Maybe I'm not heavy enough!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pangolin
    I clocked close on 50mph the other day looking back at the GPS data. and that was just freewheeling
    Care to post the data?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Not sure I'd be able to get close to high 40's freewheeling. Looking at my fastest overall descent of Broomfield I hit high around 36mph and that would have been powering into the top corner at close to 30 braking for the right bend and then back on the power.

EDIT: looking at more recent rides I'm consistently hitting 37-38mph, pedalling but not flat out.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2011
    Funny how the max speeds quoted on the internet far exceed mine (by 20kmph easily), but yet I've never come across a cyclist who can descend significantly faster than me when I'm riding with them.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I clocked close on 50mph the other day looking back at the GPS data. and that was just freewheeling

Sorry Roger, I'm going to have to join the pile-on here! I can hit 40 going down broomfield if I really give it beans but at that kind of speed the corner becomes pretty hazardous unless you can use the oncoming lane to ride it out. I doubt you could do it freewheeling unless you hit the rise at 30! I think there was an anomaly in your GPS readings ;)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    High thirties for me. I may have grazed 40 once or twice but no more than that.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I hit 87mph down there the other day
    <a>road</a>
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I hit 87mph down there the other day

Little bit more effort and you could have gone back to 1955.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    This thread is becoming very confusing. Obviously on a normal day we are all careful not to exceed 20mph down the hills. Were these quoted speeds recorded during the London Duathlon? Or one of the Richmond Park time trials? I think we should all be clear about this in our posts.

Personally my 62.8 mph best was set during my cameo in the London Surrey Cycle Classic Road Race, which I went on to win.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sketchley
    Hmmmmm my top speed down there has been low 30's although I'm not 100% flat out as I don't have the confidence on the bends. Maybe just maybe, if I came round the corner at the very top flat out then free wheeled in a tuck and didn't use the breaks for on the sweeping right hander I'd be 30+ on the exit of the bend, if I then really put the power down to the RB at robin hood gate I might just inch above 40mph. I'd have to take a big dose of MTFU to do it and should probably head straight out at Roehampton gate down priory lane and check myself in at the priory as I would clearly be mad and have death wish. Roger are you 100% sure you don't mean KPH?
    --
    Chris

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    pangolin wrote:
    Personally my 62.8 mph best was set during my cameo in the London Surrey Cycle Classic Road Race, which I went on to win.

You must've done very well indeed, as the route didn't even go down Broomfield ;)

47mph down Broomfield? I'm surprised with the SS awesomeness of the poster (all the Surrey hills are trivial on a SS after all) that he didn't do 47mph on the way up!
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

47mph down Broomfield? I'm surprised with the SS awesomeness of the poster (all the Surrey hills are trivial on a SS after all) that he didn't do 47mph on the way up!
    :lol:
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Am I the only one who has visions of losing the front end and becoming impaled on one of the stakes?

Low 30's for me, it freaks me out. I actually prefer going up it...

EDIT: Hell, there isn't even any stakes! Like I said, it freaks me out...
  • sketchley
    Am I the only one who has visions of losing the front end and becoming impaled on one of the stakes?

Low 30's for me, it freaks me out. I actually prefer going up it...

No your not. It's taken a long time for me to realise that the apparent gravel on the road there isn't gravel and is in fact fairly sticky. When the squirrel ran out all I could think about was this and how much it was going to hurt. Fortunately said squirrel turned round and ran back.
    76039319_f5e81e4f93.jpg
    --
    Chris

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    It is a great hill. I stay off the brakes completely (unless some dimwit car has overtaken at the top and then crawls down the hill infront of me :roll: ) and freewheel down mid-30's. Have tried, but never broken 40mph there.

Worst moment was coming round the bend by the tree, to find a black Merc overtaking up the hill leaving very little space for me to squeeze by. Still rates in the top 3 most scary things to happen to me on a bike and not sure how exactly I got away with it. Palms sweaty at the memory and it happened a few years ago.