Tapered head tubes and Hard Tails

2»

Comments

• Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    wondered why a fair amount of the newer FS bikes come with a tapered head tube
    To be brutally honest, it's almost entirely fashion.
    This.
    Never have i thought, you know what my steerer tube and frame are just too flexy :wink:

I believe it is actually increased weld area, hence increased strength at the headtube junction without (as much) extra weight when compared to a full 1.5" headtube, rather than stiffness in the steerer. Possibly might be worth researching a bit more before just slagging off new tech.
    i ride a hardtail
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The way manufacturers have combatted the extra leverage and flex is to increase the thickness of the steerer tube. This adds weight. It does make sense to increase the tube diameter and thin the thickness.

Tapered steerers are lighter and stiffer than 1.125. Though the extra size headtube and headset can add weight back in.

When Manitou released their Millenium fork back in 2000, it had 5 inch of travel. It flexed backwards FOUR inches under braking! The only option then was to have heavy thick steerers. Which we still see compared to the XC units they used to have.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    h34e0f wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:
    but I gave you some examples! most of the new Ragley frames including the ones you claimed to have looked at! bored now...

That was aimed at yeehaamcgee, as every post I make he seems to think it's his job to come back with arsey comments.
    excuse me?

Pretty much as said there. If you require further discussion on the subject I suggest it is not in the confinement of this topic.
    I fail to see how anything I've said has been arsey.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mmmbop has a 1.5, which is the best of the standards since everything fits in it. Though it does look a bit awful, especially on a skinny bike. IIRC the rest of the Ragleys have that new standard that's 1.5 compatible?

Tapered isn't just about the fork standards remember, it also gives a wider headtube, which makes for a lovely big weld area.

It's not total balls... Tapered and 1.5 give you better choice of forks and also a bit more flexibility- you can vary the geometry by more using angle-adjusting headsets like from Works Components.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Boardman is tapered... Makes the Reba feel a whole lot stiffer than my old 1 1/8th Rev team on the P7/Meta.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Northwind wrote:
    Mmmbop has a 1.5, which is the best of the standards since everything fits in it. Though it does look a bit awful, especially on a skinny bike. IIRC the rest of the Ragleys have that new standard that's 1.5 compatible?

Tapered isn't just about the fork standards remember, it also gives a wider headtube, which makes for a lovely big weld area.

It's not total balls... Tapered and 1.5 give you better choice of forks and also a bit more flexibility- you can vary the geometry by more using angle-adjusting headsets like from Works Components.

this
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    i know this aint the crud but damn alot of people are jerks tbf probably why i like it here :?
    h34e0f basically you rub people the wrong way by not seeing the mistakes in your posts even though pointed out to you, but still get used to hot headed trolling, think through your posts if you don't want it tearing to bits and we can all eat cake
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:
    I agree it's not totall balls, but it does seem to often crop up in places where it offers little real world advantage.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, agreed. I honestly reckon most people couldn't tell the difference between a tapered and standard steerer version of the same fork. I'd still love to take something available in all standards- Sektor probably- and blind test some journos. Specifically MBR journos :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist