Tapered head tubes and Hard Tails

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited August 2011 in MTB general
I've been looking into a lot of different Hardtail frames, and haven't come across one with a tapered head tube and it got me thinking; is there a reason they're not including them on HT frames? Cost? Or is it simply something that has no use on a HT?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have not been looking hard enough. plenty out there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • h34e0f
    I've been mostly looking at the common AMHT style frames that most people use such as the Stiffee, Blue Pig, Mmmbop, TransAM etc.

These are some of the most popular/common HT frames, yet none have it. I'd have expected the more common ones to have the 'better' technology
  • nicklouse
    the One-on 456 carbon is the first I think of. and there are many many more.

a lot of the focus and trek frames.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    h34e0f wrote:
    I'd have expected the more common ones to have the 'better' technology
    Some would say it's not neccesarilly a "better technology" anyway.
  • nicklouse
    h34e0f wrote:
    I've been mostly looking at the common AMHT style frames that most people use such as the Stiffee, Blue Pig, Mmmbop, TransAM etc.

These are some of the most popular/common HT frames, yet none have it. I'd have expected the more common ones to have the 'better' technology

you call frames from a small UK Brand to be more common?

focus makes more that any "UK" brand and Trek is massive so I would say it is the opposite way round.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Some would say it's not even a technology, it's a fitment type.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    isnt the Mmmbop a 1.5" steerer anyway?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    The Mmmbop (and most other ragley frames) have a full 1.5" steerer. Combine that with the right headset means you can run a fork with various steerer widths.

It does seem like some of the other steely manufacturers are being left behind a bit though...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f wrote:

Hence the inverted commas.

nicklouse wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

focus makes more that any "UK" brand and Trek is massive so I would say it is the opposite way round.

What I meant by this is, most discussions regarding hardcore/am hardtails tend to boil down to someone mentioning, or buying a frame like the ones listed above.
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
    Quite right.

But anyway, why are you (OP) even concerned about a tapered headtube?
  • nicklouse
    h34e0f wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

Hence the inverted commas.

nicklouse wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

What I meant by this is, most discussions regarding hardcore/am hardtails tend to boil down to someone mentioning, or buying a frame like the ones listed above.

they are available, CRC has them. the rest are bikes and not online.
  • h34e0f
    Quite right.

I'm just trying to learn; and so wondered why a fair amount of the newer FS bikes come with a tapered head tube, but most of the HT frames I was looking at have a standard one.
  • CycloRos
    h34e0f wrote:
    Quite right.

I'm just trying to learn; and so wondered why a fair amount of the newer FS bikes come with a tapered head tube, but most of the HT frames I was looking at have a standard one.

But they don't! :roll:
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • h34e0f
    CycloRos wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    Quite right.

But they don't! :roll:

What don't? FS bikes with tapered head tubes?
  • Anonymous
    h34e0f wrote:
    wondered why a fair amount of the newer FS bikes come with a tapered head tube
    To be brutally honest, it's almost entirely fashion.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tapered may be preferred on bikes with longer travel (hence AM+ types) as the stiffness and strength benefits are going to be more useful than on an XC type bike.

On HTs you'll find them more on hardcore frames. Simple. Everything trades off in someway.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    h34e0f wrote:
    wondered why a fair amount of the newer FS bikes come with a tapered head tube
    To be brutally honest, it's almost entirely fashion.
    This.
    Never have i thought, you know what my steerer tube and frame are just too flexy :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • CycloRos
    h34e0f wrote:

see my earlier post. there are plenty HT frames with non-standard head tubes.

agree with most that it does just seem to be the latest thang. Next years Giant Anthem X has a tapered head tube ffs!
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • CycloRos
    h34e0f wrote:

see my earlier post. there are plenty HT frames with non-standard head tubes.

agree with most that it does just seem to be the latest thang. Next years Giant Anthem X has a tapered head tube ffs!
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • h34e0f
    CycloRos wrote:
    see my earlier post. there are plenty HT frames with non-standard head tubes.!

See my earlier post saying "most of the HT frames I was looking at have a standard one."
  • Anonymous
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:
    see my earlier post. there are plenty HT frames with non-standard head tubes.!

See my earlier post saying "most of the HT frames I was looking at have a standard one."

I beg to differ...
    h34e0f wrote:
    I've been looking into a lot of different Hardtail frames, and haven't come across one with a tapered head tube and it got me thinking; is there a reason they're not including them on HT frames? Cost? Or is it simply something that has no use on a HT?
    Basically, you're looking at frames that don't have tapered headtubes. If you were looking at frames that DID have them, you would be seeing them. simpelz.
  • h34e0f
    Basically, you're looking at frames that don't have tapered headtubes. If you were looking at frames that DID have them, you would be seeing them. simpelz.

Well we appear to have deduced from this post, however convoluted, smart-arsey and aggressive the answer may have been, that my search was not wide enough, and that I must search elsewhere rather than this friendly forum for an example or two, or some information on tapered head tubes and their use within a Hardtail frame.
  • CycloRos
    but I gave you some examples! most of the new Ragley frames including the ones you claimed to have looked at! bored now...
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • Anonymous
    h34e0f wrote:

Well we appear to have deduced from this post, however convoluted, smart-arsey and aggressive the answer may have been, that my search was not wide enough, and that I must search elsewhere rather than this friendly forum for an example or two, or some information on tapered head tubes and their use within a Hardtail frame.
    So you don't like being incorrect huh?
    Humility goes a long way, you know.

So far, you've been told of a few hardtail frames with tapered head tubes, and why some people don't think it's an issue.
    What else do you actually want to know?
  • h34e0f
    CycloRos wrote:
    but I gave you some examples! most of the new Ragley frames including the ones you claimed to have looked at! bored now...

That was aimed at yeehaamcgee, as every post I make he seems to think it's his job to come back with arsey comments.

The Ragley frames have 1.5in head tubes; I'm confused how this can be the same as a tapered variety?

So you don't like being incorrect huh?
    Humility goes a long way, you know.

So far, you've been told of a few hardtail frames with tapered head tubes, and why some people don't think it's an issue.
    What else do you actually want to know?

Yes of course I was incorrect, when I was asking a question and clearly had no knowledge of the subject. I would be incorrect if I'd come in and said "No hard tails have tapered head tubes."

As above really. I gained an answer, and I had learned that I had missed the frames I was wondering about; so there was no need for your smart arse comments.

Lighten up.
  • CycloRos
    a tapered head tube is simply a tube which is wider at the bottom than the top, so with the correct head set you can fit a fork with a tapered steerer into a 1.5" head tube, simples.
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • h34e0f
    CycloRos wrote:
    a tapered head tube is simply a tube which is wider at the bottom than the top, so with the correct head set you can fit a fork with a tapered steerer into a 1.5" head tube, simples.

Thank you.
  • Anonymous
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:

That was aimed at yeehaamcgee, as every post I make he seems to think it's his job to come back with arsey comments.
    excuse me?
  • CycloRos
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:

Thank you.
    no worries (although I do hate repeating myself :wink: )
    Current Rides -
    Pics!
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f wrote:
    CycloRos wrote:

excuse me?

Pretty much as said there. If you require further discussion on the subject I suggest it is not in the confinement of this topic.