Severe weather warning issued for London

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    CycleKat wrote:
    What was great was this was my first puncture out on the road when I had all the right puncure repair kit and felt like a proper commuter. It's the small things right?

Nothing better than having something go Pete Tong only for you to be able to turn it round under your own steam as you've got the right kit and also now how to use it...

Well done you.

I had a proud moment last year when i had engine failure on take off as my chain snapped. Made a safe glide land - popped out my chain tool (I once laughed at Jash when he said he carried one - then I thought mmmmmm) and spare links - spin spin whirr whirr - fixed. delighted with myself.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    coriordan wrote:
    Went out in the normal daily summer gear and got soaked. Its all sitting in a crumpled pile in a binliner inside my backpack, possibly start growing something and be warm when I have to put it back in

Tempted by waterproofs now. Not for the ride itself, just so I dont have to get back into wet kit.

Richmond this evening is a no-no

Crumpled wet clothes in a bag = school boy error.

Waterproofs will make no difference, to keep water out they seal you in which means you'll get hot and sweat and what you're wearing will be wet. Tried and tested FACT.

If you don't mind getting wet and cyclists don't. Then wear what your wearing (choose longer sleeves/legs for the colder weather) and hang them up/place behind PC/warm place so they dry ready for the return journey home.

It's why we wear lycra, quick drying.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    coriordan wrote:
    Went out in the normal daily summer gear and got soaked. Its all sitting in a crumpled pile in a binliner inside my backpack, possibly start growing something and be warm when I have to put it back in

Tempted by waterproofs now. Not for the ride itself, just so I dont have to get back into wet kit.

Nothing wrong with riding in warm rain in normal summer gear, it shows you have naturally high levels of MTFU in your system, but if you can, take your stuff out of the bin bag and dry/air it out.

Putting on dripping wet gear is HORRIBLE.
    If your ride home is dry and your gear is wet you won't get to ride around Richmond, but if you dry it out now, Richmond is back on.
    Warm, wet cycling gear is perfect growing conditions for bacteria so it will all smell when you leave at the end of the day.

There is no downside to drying your stuff.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I've taken to stuffing bike shoes with newspaper (redoing with new paper halfway through day) and hanging up clothes in order to improve the ride home. Newspaper: an oldie but a goodie.

This forum is really addictive.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    CycleKat wrote:
    I've taken to stuffing bike shoes with newspaper (redoing with new paper halfway through day) and hanging up clothes in order to improve the ride home. Newspaper: an oldie but a goodie.

Having wondered 'what's the point in that' for ages, I finally got round to doing it. It's a revelation - even without a second stuffing halfway through the day (snigger) it really does dry them out.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Crumpled wet clothes in a bag = school boy error.

Waterproofs will make no difference, to keep water out they seal you in which means you'll get hot and sweat and what you're wearing will be wet. Tried and tested FACT.

If you don't mind getting wet and cyclists don't. Then wear what your wearing (choose longer sleeves/legs for the colder weather) and hang them up/place behind PC/warm place so they dry ready for the return journey home.

It's why we wear lycra, quick drying.

The correct "waterproofs" *do* make a difference on short, 10-15 commutes. The kind of waterproofs I'm talking about often have vents and are NOT like wearing a binbag like you are inferring. Tried and tested FACT.

and there's a difference between being wet in the summer and wet in some of the "summer" conditions we are currently experiencing such as twenty down to twelve within 24 hours.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2011
    Oh for peat sake. I remember the days when this place used to be light hearted.

:roll:

"I'm more right than you!"

"No I'm more right!"

Who are you trying to ram scoop that down, me or the Easter bunny?

1. All experience and preference is subjective.

2. Bit overkill to be wearing waterproofs for a 10 - 15min commute. I'd barely start to sweat.

3. My experience of waterproofs - most are vented - is that they boil in the bag and are best avoided replaced by quick drying warm clothing.

5. I ride in all weather and most condition - not ice. Being warm or keeping cool and allowing the skin to breath is most important (for me). If the weather is like it is today 15degrees and raining, which in my book is relatively warm. Being warm, keeping cool and allowing the skin to breath is most important. Waterproof's don't do this. Even in the bitterly cold sub zero of December to February I wouldn't wear waterproof.

As I said being wet ain't really my issue (given that when in dry weather sweat can make my clothes er wet and clothes can dry), being warm or keeping cool and allowing the skin to breath is.

4. The most important thing is, the person I was actually talking to hangs their clothes up and dries it.

You may disagree with the above.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Pete's sake
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    fatherted wrote:
    So , let me get this right.
    When it rains in the morning you take a complete change of cycle clothing ( shoes as well ?? ) to work with you rather than try and keep your jersey and maybe base layer from getting soaked thorugh ?

There are comments about people hvaing to cycle home in "wet gear" because clothing doesn't dry out.
    My point is why not wear overshoes and a reasonable technical rain jacket, at least your shoes will have a chance to dry out [1]

[1] Assuming the commute isn't more than 14/15 miles each way.

I have a server room @ work - everything is dry now :)
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Think you mean Pete's Sake.

Turn's out this is what is known as a 'minced oath'.

I never really had DDD down as a mincer (NO HOMO), but you live and learn.

light-hearted enough for you? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD
    fatherted wrote:
    Pete's sake
    Ah attacking the typo not the argument.

I see your need to be correct, despite actually ignoring the point, knows no bounds.

They can treat that you know
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Think you mean Pete's Sake.

Turn's out this is what is known as a 'minced oath'.

I never really had DDD down as a mincer (NO HOMO), but you live and learn.

light-hearted enough for you? :wink:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm with DDD on the waterproof thing. Unless you have a short slow commute, my experience is that you end up every bit as wet. I carry a Featherlite jacket for emergency breakdowns as I'd like to avoid exposure but I never wear it riding.

I've worn my vented eVent jacket as a windproof layer at temps from -5C to -11C but that's it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that waterproofs are one of the least useful bits of cycling kit I've ever bought for my 30+ miles RT commute. I'd take windproof materials over waterproof any day of the week.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I ride that damn fast that the raindrops dare not actually land on me. I suggest you lot do the same.
  • I'm with DDD on the waterproof thing. Unless you have a short slow commute, my experience is that you end up every bit as wet. I carry a Featherlite jacket for emergency breakdowns as I'd like to avoid exposure but I never wear it riding.

I've worn my vented eVent jacket as a windproof layer at temps from -5C to -11C but that's it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that waterproofs are one of the least useful bits of cycling kit I've ever bought for my 30+ miles RT commute. I'd take windproof materials over waterproof any day of the week.

+1.

I have tried 3 different water proof jackets and even the expensive ones don't really do it for me. For commuting I just want to ride at a decent pace and get there - in whatever waterproof I have used this just makes me sweat.

Waterproofs are of some value either when riding slowly in very cold conditions or when on long tours when I'm unlikely to get a chance to dry kit off. In this case - I'd put the waterproof on to try to keep dry but would stop riding and try to take cover. When rain stops, take waterproof off and resume the journey.
  • I prefer really cheap waterproofs for cold wet weather. They're windproof, waterproof but they don't breathe.

What I tend to do is to have a thing base layer (Helly Hansen are my fav), a top and a merino l/s jersey. I'll still sweat but at least I'm warm and sort of dry (in my own heated sweat). This coupled with cheap 3/4 length trousers and waterproof trousers with overshoes kept me snug for a 90mile ride in the cold and wet last year.

I have been thiking of getting one of the giant raincapes that covers you and your entire bike like a tent.
    --
    FCN 9
  • DonDaddyD
    I prefer really cheap waterproofs for cold wet weather. They're windproof, waterproof but they don't breathe.

What I tend to do is to have a thing base layer (Helly Hansen are my fav), a top and a merino l/s jersey. I'll still sweat but at least I'm warm and sort of dry (in my own heated sweat). This coupled with cheap 3/4 length trousers and waterproof trousers with overshoes kept me snug for a 90mile ride in the cold and wet last year.

I have been thiking of getting one of the giant raincapes that covers you and your entire bike like a tent.

momsays-i-m-cool-posters.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• meanredspider

I've never used one and can't understand who'd use one except the local vicar or Old Granny Miigins. Since, at any sort of speed I'm likely to (attempt to) travel, wind resistance is the biggest factor, adding a parachute to my kit looks like being everso slightly counterproductive....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have been thiking of getting one of the giant raincapes that covers you and your entire bike like a tent.

I wonder, Chad, have you met Ndru? You guys would get along famously.

• I have been thiking of getting one of the giant raincapes that covers you and your entire bike like a tent.

Since it's a giant tent-shaped cover you'd be getting we could call it the .....

wait for it......

marquee de chad....

Since it's a giant tent-shaped cover you'd be getting we could call it the .....

wait for it......

marquee de chad....

*Applauds the punnage.*

Made out of rubber, naturally?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm with DDD on the waterproof thing.

Me too. I tend to be too warm whenever I'm on the bike anyway, so the other week when it went quite chilly in the mornings I was just in a short sleeve jersey, and bibshorts with baggies over the top.

Got rained on properly a few weeks back, and it meant I was nice and cool for once, then it dried off within ten minutes of the rain stopping (wind assisted evaporation FTW!). If the forecast is for rain and it's not freezing cold then I'll just put my overshoes in my bag, as cold feet aren't nice, but the rest of me can get wet. I'll be having a shower at either end of the journey anyway.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    If the forecast is for rain and it's not freezing cold then I'll just put my overshoes in my bag, as cold feet aren't nice, .

Ditto - I hate squelchy socks or putting wet shoes on - and you'd have to ride a very very long way for them to dry out on their own.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    We have individual shower rooms at my office. 10 minutes with the hairdryer nozzle stuck into each shoe/sock and I'm sorted for the ride home

8)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I find a liberal application of MTFU lotion all over my body keeps me warm and dry even in the worst weather*

*that and leg warmers, a merino jersey and a mavic waterproof.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    ...and I wore my waterproof jacket today. To be honest, it would have been fine just to ride without as I was that wet anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    I wonder how fatherted feels now that the Internet has confirmed that he is wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

• meanredspider
    kelsen wrote:
    We have individual shower rooms at my office. 10 minutes with the hairdryer nozzle stuck into each shoe/sock and I'm sorted for the ride home

8)

I used to put them on the radiator in my office - but my team complained about the smell in meetings...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Waterproof gillet today - overshoes and dose of MTFU. Enjoyed the ride in.