Rank my ride?

2»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    This is the Dulwich Paragon Saturday ride (fast group) last Sat...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108126175

Can you see it? You'd be fine on the fast or at the very least, medium ride... Let me know if you're going, I ride with them either Sat or Sun most weeks...

The average was a little higher at the end of the ride, about 19.5mph I think but I forgot to switch the timer off and walked about outside the cafe with the bike registering 1-3mph for about 10 mins...

'You do not have sufficient privileges to view the activity with id 108126175.'

Oh, hang on...

Anyone know how to change privacy setting for specific rides or the whole lot?!

Settings - default privacy
    Or the padlock icon when editing the activity
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Anyone know how to change privacy setting for specific rides or the whole lot?!

Click the little padlock at the top of the page
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.

• Be aware of what you share (ooh, it rhymes). All your rides appear to start in the same place which indicates it could be where you live. Maybe start the Garmin a short while after you start (or maybe you do?). Just a thought, you don't know who reads the forums.

:?

Happy to delete this post, just say.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I always thought down south was flat. Obviously it's not.
  • Headhuunter

Be aware of what you share (ooh, it rhymes). All your rides appear to start in the same place which indicates it could be where you live. Maybe start the Garmin a short while after you start (or maybe you do?). Just a thought, you don't know who reads the forums.

Yeah, I thought of that... I'll lock it again now....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Be aware of what you share (ooh, it rhymes). All your rides appear to start in the same place which indicates it could be where you live. Maybe start the Garmin a short while after you start (or maybe you do?). Just a thought, you don't know who reads the forums.

I export mine from my account, top and tail the raw data removing the start and end and then upload them to a different account.

I'm paranoid.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Headhuunter
    suzyb wrote:

No, there are a few short sharp steepies averaging 16% and 20% in places and some longer, steadier ones. You can see on the map, just below London are the North and South Downs...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:

No, there are a few short sharp steepies averaging 16% and 20% in places and some longer, steadier ones. You can see on the map, just below London are the North and South Downs...
    I thought they were further west
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    suzyb wrote:
    But if you're tired i.e. tired legs then you're not pedaling as hard or as fast therefore not needing as much aerobic effort.

That's how I feel when I'm tired anyway.

Exactly.

We've all been there that we're so tired that while you're putting in as much effort as you can, your legs just won't turn, and as such, you can easily chat to the guy next to you on how tired you are.

The tiredness I feel at the end of a 4-5 hour ride is different to the tiredness I feel because of low blood sugar, lack of sleep, illness or just overtraining when I'm just starting a ride. If I'm aware of what my HR is I can try and increase it through pedalling faster or harder, but sometimes you just can't. I suppose effort, HR and aerobic activity don't always correlate. Having HR data gives you a bit more insight into knowing your boundaries?

Disclaimer: The above is mostly BS, probably.
  • Back on topic,

My personal advice would be to never over-estimate your abilities, and always start with the slowest group.

Club riding is about more than just average speed, you'll have to learn to ride close to others safely, in a chain-gang, hand signals, warnings, etiquette, etc... Most clubs prefer inexperienced riders (regardless of ability, kit, etc...) to ride the slowest group at least once. At the very least you'll learn the route, and maybe the location of a few of the nasty potholes that will be about.

You'll have to learn to pace your effort. Invariably sometimes you'll feel close to the limit, and it takes a few runs to learn the signs, to be able to recover at the back, before rejoining the group. Otherwise the elastic will break and you'll be dropped. Being dropped 20 miles from home when you're spent is not the best.

17.5mph on your own over such a distance is a reasonable pace (though depends a lot on prevailing wind as other posters mentioned).

A circular route, on my club run (intermediate run) would typically average 21-22mph over 40 miles on a reasonably flat route, usually with a strong headwind in one direction. Probably about 18-19mph into headwind, ~26mph average with tail wind.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    But if you're tired i.e. tired legs then you're not pedaling as hard or as fast therefore not needing as much aerobic effort.

That's how I feel when I'm tired anyway.

Exactly.

We've all been there that we're so tired that while you're putting in as much effort as you can, your legs just won't turn, and as such, you can easily chat to the guy next to you on how tired you are.

The tiredness I feel at the end of a 4-5 hour ride is different to the tiredness I feel because of low blood sugar, lack of sleep, illness or just overtraining when I'm just starting a ride. If I'm aware of what my HR is I can try and increase it through pedalling faster or harder, but sometimes you just can't. I suppose effort, HR and aerobic activity don't always correlate. Having HR data gives you a bit more insight into knowing your boundaries?

Disclaimer: The above is mostly BS, probably.

Probably.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Back on topic,

My personal advice would be to never over-estimate your abilities, and always start with the slowest group.

Club riding is about more than just average speed, you'll have to learn to ride close to others safely, in a chain-gang, hand signals, warnings, etiquette, etc... Most clubs prefer inexperienced riders (regardless of ability, kit, etc...) to ride the slowest group at least once. At the very least you'll learn the route, and maybe the location of a few of the nasty potholes that will be about.

You'll have to learn to pace your effort. Invariably sometimes you'll feel close to the limit, and it takes a few runs to learn the signs, to be able to recover at the back, before rejoining the group. Otherwise the elastic will break and you'll be dropped. Being dropped 20 miles from home when you're spent is not the best.

17.5mph on your own over such a distance is a reasonable pace (though depends a lot on prevailing wind as other posters mentioned).

A circular route, on my club run (intermediate run) would typically average 21-22mph over 40 miles on a reasonably flat route, usually with a strong headwind in one direction. Probably about 18-19mph into headwind, ~26mph average with tail wind.

Cheers,

No worries about my trying to rock up to a fast ride and thinking I'll be able to keep up. First steps would certainly be learning the etiquette and getting a feel for things.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • FWIW, I've been out now twice with Kenton RC - they only have the one ride on a Sunday and speed doesnt seem to be the main order of the day - averaging 15.3+ mph over 1750ft climb in ~45 miles. I found that to be less strenuous than my commute despite the extra distance. Even so I have found from time to time that the pace is a tad slower than I'd like and when I take my turn at the front I have to work hard to keep the pace down to a level the group is happy with. But then again I also know I couldn't maintain 17mph for any distance

I suppose it depends on the club and its members. One member, in his 70s and an ex-TT'er, seemingly stays in one gear all the time and maintains the same pace going up as well as down, I only hope I'm that fit in 20y time!

What I have found difficult is the close riding, I find that scary, but getting used to it, and the hand signals etc.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: