Rank my ride?

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Took the Garmin 800 out for a spin yesterday for the first time. Things were going fine until I got close to home and then the thing decided it wasn't going to allow me to get there (you'll see the hugely convoluted route I ended up taking). I'm guessing it was avoiding doing any time on the A28 and couldn't figure a decent route so it kept recalculating and moving me further away.

Anyway, this was about my 4th ride of a decent distance (Brighton, Oxford and Ashford by a different route) and first where I have stats. After about 55 miles and when I realised the Garmin was laughing at me, and ran out of water, my legs noticeably died and my pace dropped.

Excuses out of the way... ave 17.2mph over 67 miles, 3000ft of climbing?
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108385089

(plus a dash to the train station later in the evening. No legs left by that point.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108385054)

MTFU or decent enough to find a local club and do the beginners runs out?

Had to be in work for 7 this morning... got the train in :oops:
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Looks like a decent pace to me. Faster average than I had on a recent sportive.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106693229

I guess what really matters, if you're concerned about performance, is that you're satisfied with yourself about the amount of effort you put in.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Yeah you'll be fine on a club run.
  • dhope
    notsoblue wrote:
    I guess what really matters, if you're concerned about performance, is that you're satisfied with yourself about the amount of effort you put in.

Mostly yes, only slacked off toward the end when I was staring at the Garmin and wondering WTF it was playing at sending me around the houses, so lots of pootling with one eye on the road and one on the GPS playing with the settings etc, then a pause to find my iPhone instead, then a pause at the pub to refil water etc. Other than that lot then was fairly consistent effort
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A good pace but you need to do a round trip to prove it - if the weather down South was like it was up North yesterday, that looks like 67 miles of tailwindtastic bliss!

Cadence looks a bit wierd - the dagger points at about 1:45 (2 of) and 3:40 most obviously but they aren't the only ones.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    Rolf F wrote:
    Cadence looks a bit wierd - the dagger points at about 1:45 (2 of) and 3:40 most obviously but they aren't the only ones.

Possibly, I'd only fitted it that morning so might be that it wasn't quite perfect alignment, or I nudged the sensor etc.

It's a shame the online Garmin stuff doesn't allow you to smooth the graph a bit more, say take moving 1min averages so that the little cadence jumps (say you pause to grab a water bottle, coast, drink, then carry on) don't make the graph look so odd.
    Rolf F wrote:
    A good pace but you need to do a round trip to prove it - if the weather down South was like it was up North yesterday, that looks like 67 miles of tailwindtastic bliss!
    Was cycling out to family do in Kent, they'd not have been too impressed if I'd turned up, waved and turned around. My legs would have revolted too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Surely a pace of 17mph over that distance is more than enough for at least intermediate club runs (dependent on the club obv.).
  • suzyb wrote:
    Surely a pace of 17mph over that distance is more than enough for at least intermediate club runs (dependent on the club obv.).

Especially as it was a solo run.
  • dhope
    suzyb wrote:

Wasn't sure having never done any group riding. I seem quicker than most while commuting, but that's all of 6 miles so hardly too representative.

Still, this all sounds promising :D

Certainly feel my legs a bit today though
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    With that kind of commuting base, you should be able to increase the distance you can do comfortably pretty quickly.

It's a very different sensation and tiredness when you're pushing into hour 5.
  • dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Wasn't sure having never done any group riding. I seem quicker than most while commuting, but that's all of 6 miles so hardly too representative.

Quicker than most when commuting usually equates to "have your arse handed to you" on a club-run, I find. Still, if you fall off the faster group, there's usually a slower one coming along in a few minutes.
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Quicker than most when commuting usually equates to "have your ars* handed to you" on a club-run, I find. Still, if you fall off the faster group, there's usually a slower one coming along in a few minutes.

Exactly :D I know that quicker than most just means quicker than people that probably cycle less.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yep, riding with a group makes a big difference. TBH that's why I like to ride alone most of the time - makes for better training IMH as there's nowhere to hide. Although obviously if you're planning on entering any Sportives or group rides then you really should get some group riding practice in first, although it's amazing how many people don't bother and then ride like complete c0cks.

Good effort btw. I managed a 56.76 miles in 02:53:47 (19.6mph moving). But that was only 2067 feet - a loop from Wandsworth over to Crocknorth/Boxhill and home. Annoying how the return trip into London always fecks up the average speed though!

More annoyingly I had to stop 3 times to stretch my back out as it was getting very sore. Thinking I may need to lower the saddle/move it forward. Things have got worse with my back since breaking my collarbone, which seems weird. Need to sort this as having to stop every 20 miles to stretch is not good at all.
  • rick_chasey

More annoyingly I had to stop 3 times to stretch my back out as it was getting very sore. Thinking I may need to lower the saddle/move it forward. Things have got worse with my back since breaking my collarbone, which seems weird. Need to sort this as having to stop every 20 miles to stretch is not good at all.

Yoga.
  • rolf_f
    dhope wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Possibly, I'd only fitted it that morning so might be that it wasn't quite perfect alignment, or I nudged the sensor etc.

Maybe - would be worth having a closer look at those dagger points - they are implying that your cadence gradually and extremely slowly built up from zero to normal rate over several minutes!

Your heart rate is intriguing as well - a general ongoing slowing down as the ride goes on! Obviously, the tough stough was early on but there is a definite onward reduction which isn't really obviously explained by the terrain!
  • suzyb
    Rolf F wrote:
    Maybe - would be worth having a closer look at those dagger points - they are implying that your cadence gradually and extremely slowly built up from zero to normal rate over several minutes!
    Shouldn't it do that?
  • dhope
    Rolf F wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Your heart rate is intriguing as well - a general ongoing slowing down as the ride goes on! Obviously, the tough stough was early on but there is a definite onward reduction which isn't really obviously explained by the terrain!

Might have been the wine on Saturday and getting my body used to the idea that it was going to have to do some work that had it so high early on. That, plus a little bit more stop/start, London traffic etc?

Toward the end I'm not sure - tiredness and just got into a 'plugging away' mindset with less accelerating? Not sure. Will take the HRM out next time too and see if I can find a pattern.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe

Yoga.

Hmmm, I did try pilates for a while which helped, but there is nowhere near me that does classes at a decent time, and tbh I hate the idea of doing yoga or something after work, just cannot be arsed with it. Also doesn't help being the only bloke, both places I've tried this was the case. Reckon all the ladies just though I was there to perve.

I'm going to have another fitting done instead, just booked one in for Thursday at Bikelab in Richmond. If that doesn't sort then may have to look at Yoga/Pilates again.
  • rick_chasey

Yoga.

Hmmm, I did try pilates for a while which helped, but there is nowhere near me that does classes at a decent time, and tbh I hate the idea of doing yoga or something after work, just cannot be arsed with it. Also doesn't help being the only bloke, both places I've tried this was the case. Reckon all the ladies just though I was there to perve.

I'm going to have another fitting done instead, just booked one in for Thursday at Bikelab in Richmond. If that doesn't sort then may have to look at Yoga/Pilates again.

Yoga's a little less extreme than pilates (and usually cheaper). Once you learn the positions you can do them at home which helps.

No idea where you are but Fulham is groaning under the weight of yoga/pilates places.

If you go in citing a cycling injury I doubt people will think you're there to perve.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Reckon all the ladies just though I was there to perve.

You're married now so its safe, if you get odd looks just show em your ring... *ahem*
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe
    Reckon all the ladies just though I was there to perve.

You're married now so its safe, if you get odd looks just show em your ring... *ahem*

Ring? Pffft, rings are for fey, metrosexual, hen-pecked men. Awful new-fangled idea for men to wear them, no doubt imported from the States. Nope, no ring for me.*

*this may actually be because I would rather spend my money on other stuff.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Rolf F wrote:

Thats fatigue, no?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    my ride on Sunday was 60 miles - 2000 ft elevation. Did it in 3 hrs 50 mins moving so you're quicker than me and I've got myself around the beginners ride with Kingston Wheelers okay.
  • rolf_f
    dhope wrote:
    Toward the end I'm not sure - tiredness and just got into a 'plugging away' mindset with less accelerating? Not sure. Will take the HRM out next time too and see if I can find a pattern.

This is the odd thing though - tiredness would account for a drop in speed but I'd have thought your heart rate would remain relatively constant (ie because you are tired, you are working harder to achieve the same result).

Besides, the HR change seems more marked than the speed change!

I'll have to have a look more closely at mine - I've not noticed that sort of change before but it may occur. I did an 85 up to Malham and back on Friday which should give some clues! And I know on the Pendle Predator I was slowing over the day though that was so hilly that my HR readings were always up and down.
  • dhope
    notsoblue wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Thats fatigue, no?

Thought this might be it. Sure I'd seen somewhere that one indication of overtraining/fatigue was that heart rate would actually drop rather than raise. Possibly the same principle applies (though nobody could accuse me of overtraining)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    But if you're tired i.e. tired legs then you're not pedaling as hard or as fast therefore not needing as much aerobic effort.

That's how I feel when I'm tired anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    suzyb wrote:
    But if you're tired i.e. tired legs then you're not pedaling as hard or as fast therefore not needing as much aerobic effort.

That's how I feel when I'm tired anyway.

Exactly.

We've all been there that we're so tired that while you're putting in as much effort as you can, your legs just won't turn, and as such, you can easily chat to the guy next to you on how tired you are.

I remember calling my gf in a delirious (heading towards bonk territory) state, so totally shagged that I couldn't pedal any harder than the equivalent of walking effort, so I could easily call her to say weird stuff about sheep and going to the cinema, despite barely being able to hold my head up.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    This is the Dulwich Paragon Saturday ride (fast group) last Sat...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108126175

Can you see it? You'd be fine on the fast or at the very least, medium ride... Let me know if you're going, I ride with them either Sat or Sun most weeks...

The average was a little higher at the end of the ride, about 19.5mph I think but I forgot to switch the timer off and walked about outside the cafe with the bike registering 1-3mph for about 10 mins...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dhope

Can you see it? You'd be fine on the fast or at the very least, medium ride... Let me know if you're going, I ride with them either Sat or Sun most weeks...

The average was a little higher at the end of the ride, about 19.5mph I think but I forgot to switch the timer off and walked about outside the cafe with the bike registering 1-3mph for about 10 mins...

'You do not have sufficient privileges to view the activity with id 108126175.'
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:

Oh, hang on...
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:

Oh, hang on...

Anyone know how to change privacy setting for specific rides or the whole lot?!