How do I stop or reduce incidence of cramp?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
Just done 79 mile sportive (NF Rattler) and suffered from cramp for last 20 miles. Seemed to be worse when standing on pedals going uphill. I think I had a good intake of fluid, with isotonic powders (salts). What can I do to help stop cramping?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I've had two bouts of it and both were down to my position. I'd recently been fiddling with my position and ended up with the saddle way too far back. Moved it forwards and it was all cured.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Was it you first long ride? If you're not used to the effort / distance you can get cramp. Happened to my favourite rider on my favourite stage of my favourite race, so it's not just a problem for amateurs. More miles should help, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOD5ouvWxVk

I almost cried and had sympathy cramp.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    As regards to Unixnerd's comment, an experienced rider told me when I was starting out that my saddle was too high. Lowered it an inch and never got cramp in my calves again. Seems I was elongating them too much.
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    Saddle height/position is the key I think. Either over stretching your muscles or having your saddle too low and giving your muscles space to contract will make them ping. I've (so far) never suffered any cramps going any distance but I do on occasion get to see my friend pull a face like somebody swapped his saddle out for a spike. Doesn't look like much fun!
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I use High5 Zero to keep cramp under control.

I also need to ensure my feet stay warm else I start getting toe and arch cramp.

I also get cramp in big events as I push much harder and my legs are not used to that for that period.

I think everyone is different. You need to find the root causes for your cramps.
  • mr_goo
    Thanks for the replies. With regards to the drinks ie High 5 Zero. I know this is difficult to get exact due to different physiology, speeds, course, weather conditions etc etc, but on average how many litres should one take in per 25kms. Am just trying to get an idea of averages.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. With regards to the drinks ie High 5 Zero. I know this is difficult to get exact due to different physiology, speeds, course, weather conditions etc etc, but on average how many litres should one take in per 25kms. Am just trying to get an idea of averages.

You can't take up more than about 60g carbs per hour - so if you need more liquids - drink water or water with just electrolytes in (no carbs). Bike fit may be an issue as might cleat position but tiredness and heat in themselves might be an issue too. (in hot weather you not only run the risk of getting dehydrated /salt depleted but the heat itself means your body's busy keeping vital organs (brain) cool rather than looking after the status of individual muscles. Some people find magnesium tablets taken before bed over a period of weeks help cramp generally.
    As I guide I rode 80km (fast for me) 3 hours on Sunday - used one 750 ml bottle of energy drink. Well rested & hydrated beforehand though. Others might drink the same every hour, whilst others might only drink water and eat a banana
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    750ml for 3 hours doesn't sound like very much at all to me. I'll go through twice that in 3 hours easily. The best way to gauge hydration requirement is to go out on a ride and drink plenty. Weigh yourself before and after - subtract the amount of water consumed (1kg per litre) and see if you're up or down in terms of weight. If you're heavier you don't need as much water, lighter and you want to be drinking a little more.. As for ratio's I'll usually have 1 bottle of water and one of carb/electrolyte drink. Whether I take carb or electrolyte it doesn't seem to make any difference in terms of performance, I think as long as you have something sugary in one bottle it helps mentally. I don't know if cramps are related to saddle position or hydration, or both; but I never get them. A little bit of science seems to pay off in these 2 areas so take the time out to make sure you've got both right and you should be fine :)
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Stop cycling :roll:
  • mr_goo
    cadseen wrote:
    I think that some people can be more prone to cramp than others.
    Old fashion remedy is bitter lemon with quinene.

I only get cramp if I push myself harder than normal.

As an extra to this, read that drinking Indian Tonic Water (quinine) the week leading upto a long sportive can be useful. Looks like I'll be on G&Ts from now on.
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    dropping my saddle by 2 cm seems to have cured my recurent calf cramps
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    McBoom wrote:
    Have to say this makes sense, sounds like what I get when racing when not fully prepared.
    As the report says difference between whole body cramps and localised.
    It would seem odd to have a local reduction in sodium and hydration levels :D