Cyclists that 'think' they are faster than other cyclists

Comments

• Rolf F wrote:
    I've got a nice piece of cheese in the fridge!

Give us a bit
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've got a nice piece of cheese in the fridge!

Give us a bit

Nope - its aaalllll mine :P
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The-beast wrote:
    ...its a bit of fun between two people consenting to a race on the road... :roll:

Nooo. They can't know you are racing them, that takes all the fun out of it.
  • I sincerely believe I'm faster than I actually am. I suspect I may not be alone.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Only those with plenty of vanity need apply :?:
    bagpuss
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    amaferanga wrote:
    'Scalping' is so fcuking pathetic. If you want to race then get a licence and do a REAL race. Otherwise all bets are off.... losers.

Massive +1
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Asprilla wrote:
    SCR has nothing to do with the other person, what they look like or what they ride.

For me it's about seeing someone on the road who is going quickly and then trying to catch, stay with or overtake them as appropriate. They are just a motivation to put that bit of extra effort in for longer. It's the same as having a virtual partner on your garmin, but better.

Tell you what. Why don't you enter a time trial.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    This discussion is nearly as funny as the jersey discussion.

Find something serious to worry about, please. If you can't think of anything, pop up to your local children's cancer ward.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    SCR has nothing to do with the other person, what they look like or what they ride.

For me it's about seeing someone on the road who is going quickly and then trying to catch, stay with or overtake them as appropriate. They are just a motivation to put that bit of extra effort in for longer. It's the same as having a virtual partner on your garmin, but better.

I do occasionally. However, having a young family makes demands of my time at the weekend and I only manage to get out with the club maybe once a month. I probably only manage about six events a year. I do, however, do between 175 and 225 miles a week commuting. I take my exercise where I can get it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I do occasionally. However, having a young family makes demands of my time at the weekend and I only manage to get out with the club maybe once a month. I probably only manage about six events a year. I do, however, do between 175 and 225 miles a week commuting. I take my exercise where I can get it.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • A lot of you 'true racers' seem awful insecure about something...

Live and let live.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Hmmm - chip on shoulder from OP?

To paraphrase the great Morrissey/Marr: some people are faster than other people, some people are faster than other people, some people are faster than other people's mothers ....

I'm faster than some, slower than some. If I overtake someone I'll give them a cheery salutation. If I get overtaken I give them a cheery salutation.

If you're out and about and seee someone going for it its only natural to get a wiggle on and test yourself to see if you can catch them: its competitive, not competition ... Fine difference.

Admittedly whe I am out with my son on the back of my Plug then yes, I will chase lycra warriors down and blow my nuts to catch them up - when you go past always sit upright, control your breathiog and offer a cheery word. N2 child has also got into the habit of giving a cheeky grin and a little wave. 99% of times people will laugh and smile back - the other 1%:funk 'em: get a life.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The-beast wrote:
    ...its a bit of fun between two people consenting to a race on the road... :roll:

Nooo. They can't know you are racing them, that takes all the fun out of it.

Precisely. This is the point. It isn't meant to be real, it isn't meant to be a fair race - it's tongue in cheek and very obviousl silly (hence the S in SCR). It's actually about not taking yourself too seriously (which I think those foaming at the mouth on this one are probably guilty of themselves......).

As for time trials - in what way are they any more valid? It's all just blokes (mostly) playing silly, pointless games. The only thing that actually matters is that it is fun and keeps you fit - and that applies to both TTs and scalping games.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I am a fat hairy cyclist who could probably be beaten in a time trial by your nan on her folding shopper.

But when alone on the road resplendant in my Lycra I become SUPERCYCLIST, the fastest man on 2 wheels.(In my head)

On the occasion that someone scalps me I just ignore it or smile, the reality is they are faster than me. I don't understand the problem with being overtaken by someone who is travelling quicker than you????????
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Not that long ago, while riding a £4K+ TT bike home from work, I was overtaken by two riders on Bromptons :lol: It was the highlight of my day, really! 'cos I knew that if those guys played SCR they would gain mega points.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yossie wrote:
    To paraphrase the great Morrissey/Marr: some people are faster than other people, some people are faster than other people, some people are faster than other people's mothers ....

8) :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I was riding through Manchester on day, and there was this guy constantly overtaking me, going through red lights, anyway he was going slower than I wanted to when I was behind, but when I overtook he absolutely hung on me.

I thought wtf is he playing at, then I'm sure he was nodding all pissed off when I overtook him again for the last time thinking wtf is he doing there, he was taking loads of risks he must have thought he was playing Need For Speed or something.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I don't think i'm faster, i KNOW i'm faster..

:lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You do know the S in SCR stands for SERIOUS right?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mouth wrote:
    Having said that, if a 70 year old woman came past me on a Raleigh Shopper I'd step it up a bit or hope nobody else saw.

Sounds like 'the game' to me...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Dog Breath wrote:
    You can't 'beat' someone who isn't racing you.

This is absolutely true. I've met people on my commute who are pro racers, competing at really high levels, riding really very nice bikes. Were I to sprint off, they wouldn't bother trying to catch me, because it means nothing to them, and frankly they'd probably see it as dangerous and an unnecessary risk. That's their choice, and I wouldn't go around claiming that I'd beaten them

The same can be said of the hybrid riders, who see me pass with a cheery, "Hello", and off I go.

Between those levels, though, you can actually see the look of anguish, pain and suffering that I am causing by daring to be faster than them. You can hear them hauling their lardy arses into a response and desperately trying to cling to my rear wheel. Anyone who says they haven't felt this is kidding themselves. We *all* play the game, we have no choice.
  • brianonyx wrote:
    There are a lot of nobs who cycle and a lot of very nice people. Some of the nobs have shaved legs and some of the nice people have flash bikes.

A fair number of the nobs are obsessed sods who don't nod and say hello when out on a bike and think only about how much better they are than everyone else. A lot of them post on various internet forums.

I guess cycling is just a microcosm of everywhere else in society.

+1 :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    brianonyx wrote:
    A fair number of the nobs are obsessed sods who don't nod and say hello when out on a bike and think only about how much better they are than everyone else. A lot of them post on various internet forums.

You're just saying that because you're not as fast as me. I'm so fast I can't actually describe to you how fast I am. You wouldn't get it if I did. I'm that fast.

There's one rule. If you're on a bike you're racing. It doesn't matter where you started or where you're finishing, how long you've been out or what you're wearing. If you're on the same stretch of road as me we're racing. If you're not in lycra you're just trying to get some sympathy from me or are going to use it as an excuse when I thrash you. And don't say 'Hello' to me either. Just because you're on a bike doesn't make you my buddy; it makes you a frickin' target.

Oh yeah, chicks on shoppers and kids on BMXs, you're racing too! Dry your eyes, man up and get racing.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    edited August 2011
    You're just saying that because you're not as fast as me. I'm so fast I can't actually describe to you how fast I am. You wouldn't get it if I did. I'm that fast.

There's one rule. If you're on a bike you're racing. It doesn't matter where you started or where you're finishing, how long you've been out or what you're wearing. If you're on the same stretch of road as me we're racing. If you're not in lycra you're just trying to get some sympathy from me or are going to use it as an excuse when I thrash you. And don't say 'Hello' to me either. Just because you're on a bike doesn't make you my buddy; it makes you a frickin' target.

Oh yeah, chicks on shoppers and kids on BMXs, you're racing too! Dry your eyes, man up and get racing.

+1
    Too many people on here making snivelling excuses.

Everyone knows the score- it's a war out there, just make sure you can handle your weapon or you are toast!
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Problem is my 17 year old son refuses to wear lycra only gungy mtb/bmx/snowboarding type clothes and he is still 3 minutes quicker than me up Box HIll and miles quicker than me on a long run.
  • GiantMike
    If you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em.

Time to man up and take it up a notch or two. Break his bike? Take performance-enhancing drugs? Feign some disease to get his sympathy? At the end of the day it's all about winning by whatever means.
  • anto164 wrote:
    I don't think i'm faster
    :lol:

I don't think you're faster either :D

Alas I changed jobs a few months ago so my commute (and my SCR) came to an end.
    For me everyone on the road was a target. It helped keep the commuting interesting. It felt good, especially if you managed to catch someone from a distance, pass them and drop them.
    It was also good training for the few sportives I do a year (they are races too, I don't care what anyone says :) )
    I've *gasp* also posted a couple of comments on the SCR thread. Why not? If you've had a particularly good ride home and blasted past all in front of you then what's wrong with telling that to other people who would be interested in reading it?

If that subject matter offends the OP so much, they don't need to carry on reading it.
  • GiantMike
    Well Johnny, you might have 2 legs, but they're slower than mine. I'm that fast.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    its very satisfying when someone who has obviously gunned it to catch up, sat on my wheel to catch some breath and tried to drop me on a stretch that seperates and converges agian after a mile, then blows up further down the road. it just didnt add up how quickly he appeared from far away to sit on my wheel. I mainly just find it funny, even more so if you can re-overtake looking straight ahead.