Cyclists that 'think' they are faster than other cyclists

124»

Comments

• brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    rake wrote:
    its very satisfying when someone who has obviously gunned it to catch up, sat on my wheel to catch some breath and tried to drop me on a stretch that seperates and converges agian after a mile, then blows up further down the road. it just didnt add up how quickly he appeared from far away to sit on my wheel. I mainly just find it funny, even more so if you can re-overtake looking straight ahead.

Clearly, the guy was an amateur. I always turn off just after overtaking and catch my breath for a few minutes just so that doesn't happen.
  • Wow, there's some fast people on here. Maybe a race is needed to sort out who's really best. Oh, wait...

:D
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    I'll talk to anyone on a bike*...unless i'm on a race with myself..lol

*That look like theyre a cyclist.

Majority let on but some are just plain ignorant tho' I do IGNORE a certain club with a vengence !!!
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • Half the time, I can't be bothered. I'll say hello as I overtake, or he/she goes past, but half the time, as I said, I just plain cannot be bothered.

Unless they are riding a tourer with all the pannier bags. Then I have no choice.... :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Or if it's a woman and she has a nice bum. Then I'll happily sit there all day..... :lol:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Interesting to read so many other people's posts on something I encounter every day.

My perspective is perhaps different from most - I'm a runner who likes to cycle and commutes by bike. My commuting bike is a mountain bike as (a) my journey to work is relatively short and undemanding (around 6 miles) and (b) I don't take it that seriously - it's a way of getting to and from work cheaply and healthily and helps top up my training.

Although I would only normally be overtaken by someone on a road bike, and even then, going at a decent lick, I'm content with the notion that were we on foot I'd soooo kick their ass that they're more than welcome to any consolation they can get from passing an MTB'er.
  • Although I would only normally be overtaken by someone on a road bike, and even then, going at a decent lick, I'm content with the notion that were we on foot I'd soooo kick their ass that they're more than welcome to any consolation they can get from passing an MTB'er.

I'm a bit like that. Except when someone overtakes me, I'm content knowing that they couldn't eat as many jaffa cakes as I can...
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Well Johnny, you might have 2 legs, but they're slower than mine. I'm that fast.

:D lol
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Although I would only normally be overtaken by someone on a road bike, and even then, going at a decent lick, I'm content with the notion that were we on foot I'd soooo kick their ass that they're more than welcome to any consolation they can get from passing an MTB'er.

I'm a bit like that. Except when someone overtakes me, I'm content knowing that they couldn't eat as many jaffa cakes as I can...

Ha ha ha, that's brilliant. Reply of the year!
    :lol:
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    The only racing I do is against my son because being fat forty and not that fit I know the thin lad on MTB can beat me if he tried so why worry
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    The only racing I do is against my son because being fat forty and not that fit I know the thin lad on MTB can beat me if he tried so why worry
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    in my courier days in Bristol , there was a mildly swanky bike shop at the bottom of park street called bike tech , back in the days of GT lts and similar carbon bike , owl hollows and litespeed , i was fit as a fiddle doing the courier job . first job was taking a 65Lb franking machine to an office workers home etc .

i used to service my mates bikes and offered a free collection service , you guessed it , i would pick them up and take them away riding with the collected bike on my shoulder .

i have gone up park street hill before on my mountian city slick courier bike , carrying another full size bike on my shoulder in ripped jeans and trainers, sitting down at 9mph overtaking a couple of litespeed boys standing on the pedals , the biggest feeling of self assured smuggness ever.

cheers Tim :wink:
    Britannia waives the rules
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    How do you safely carry a full size bike on yer shoulder? Was you riding one handed?
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    freehub wrote:
    How do you safely carry a full size bike on yer shoulder? Was you riding one handed?

indeed left hand on bike i was carrying's stem , and right hand on my itching trigger finger !! :mrgreen::wink:
    Britannia waives the rules
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    That shop's still there, or at least was when I was at uni. It's a specialized concept store, went in looking for a cheap runaround a few years ago and left with a red face.

Also have only been passed once so far, and that was a lad in full sky gb kit so I didn't feel too bad.
    FCN: 6
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    straas wrote:
    Also have only been passed once so far, and that was a lad in full sky gb kit so I didn't feel too bad.

Ooh, ooh, how exciting, you've cleverly managed to merge in another hotly contested topic into this thread.

Had they earned the right wear said kit?

If I may be so bold as to continue...

You folks who keep getting overtaken, what average speed are you doing? Maybe if you go a bit faster, say 20+mph, maybe it won't happen so much. Thank god I don't wear a helmet, so much more streamlined.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    nice. bit of distraction then.. drop in the depth charge. throw them shapes morstar :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    haha I think he might have, see a few of them knocking about on their way to/from the velodrome here and he was pulling away from me whilst I was doing ~ 26

I can't say I've ever managed a 20mph average though, far too many traffic lights!
    FCN: 6
  • morstar
    straas wrote:
    haha I think he might have, see a few of them knocking about on their way to/from the velodrome here and he was pulling away from me whilst I was doing ~ 26

Well, that's all well and good....

But, more importantly, did he wave at you?

Mattshrops, glad you liked my previous effort, I think I'm on a roll now!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    morstar wrote:
    straas wrote:

He wouldn't have got away from you if you'd been using campag :wink:
  • morstar
    bompington wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    straas wrote:

He wouldn't have got away from you if you'd been using campag :wink:

I see what you did there!

Nice touch.