Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• fret
    fret Posts: 439
    That's a first :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not a problem, Russ. We don't need the wide ratios around here, unless you go over the back of Butser and around the Meon Valley. I cope with just going down to the 22T rear sprocket coming up Portsdown Hill every day.
    The wifli comes in handy on the QE park MTB course and the South Downs Way though

(For those who don't know, we live just 4 or 5 miles apart)
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Just catching up on some reading on this thread - interesting stuff!

I'd like to change my front mech as the microshift one is just awful - will something like a 105 work fine with the sram shifters? Do I need a specific front mech?

Thanks!
  • fret
    Which model do you have?
    The team is Sram, so fit an Apex or a Rival as they are a vast improvement on the Microshit and just as good as Red without the stupid expense. Many top CX racers use a Force front mech as it is more robust than Red.
    The Comp is Shimano, so a 105 would be better than a Sora, but not so vast that you would really notice. A Tiagra would be as good.
    Many gear shifting problems are down to cheap cables or bad routing. It seems the latest models do suffer at the hands of ham-fisted Halfords monkeys more than the old.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • bigmul
    Sorry, yes I have the team with SRAM, wasn't sure on compatiblity.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    bigmul wrote:

A Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra will work as a front mech, its the rear mechs which are NOT comnpatible with SRAM shifters
  • tincaman wrote:
    bigmul wrote:

A Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra will work as a front mech, its the rear mechs which are NOT comnpatible with SRAM shifters

Due to different pull ratios. As I found out...eventually. :(
  • bigmul
    Forgive my ignorance - but do I need 31.8 or 34.9?
  • bigmul wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance - but do I need 31.8 or 34.9?

• bigmul
    Just read a comment on Wiggle...

"I got this to go with SRAM APEX shifter but it doesn't work - seems Shimano changed the pull ratio with the 5700 series and they are no longer compatible with SRAM. Shame as it looked like a nice FD."
  • fret
    Much of the new Shimano series is only compatible with the same series, eg 6700 won't (alegedly) work with the old 6600, but will work with 5700.
    Basically, keep like with like to get the best out of them
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • bigmul wrote:
    Just read a comment on Wiggle...

"I got this to go with SRAM APEX shifter but it doesn't work - seems Shimano changed the pull ratio with the 5700 series and they are no longer compatible with SRAM. Shame as it looked like a nice FD."

Well obviously my 5700 FD didn't get the memo, it's working perfectly with an Apex shifter! :wink:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you want to play safe, this seems a good price for 5600: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360845986293
  • bigmul
    apreading wrote:
    If you want to play safe, this seems a good price for 5600: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360845986293

Thanks for heads up. SRAM ones cost about double!
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Well, I had a first this morning... The Missing Link on my KMC X10 chain gave up on me this morning. One of the pins pulled out of the riveted side of the ML and left me with a little walk to work. Needless to say I now have a spare ML in my saddle bag!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Had the FSA BB replaced with a Shimano today

Bugger all options for upgrading a 68x103 though.

Had to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the frame as well as there was none. The BB was full of water when it was dismantled
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • fret
    Hence why it probably died. :evil:

Good news.
    Wheels have arrived, 1410 grammes according to our very expensive scales at work.
    I shall do pics tomorrow and report on whether you can fit 28mm tyres.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Well, I had a first this morning... The Missing Link on my KMC X10 chain gave up on me this morning. One of the pins pulled out of the riveted side of the ML and left me with a little walk to work. Needless to say I now have a spare ML in my saddle bag!

Been there, done that, keep a spare in the bag too.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Had the FSA BB replaced with a Shimano today

Had to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the frame as well as there was none. The BB was full of water when it was dismantled

could i ask what size/model shimano you went for? agreed on the lack of 68x103 options.
  • fret
    New wheels fitted. They don't look anything special, but I can't believe how much heavier the OEM wheelset was. Fitted an Ultegra 11-25 cassette again as I prefer the closer ratios..........and it's almost 100g lighter than the WiFli
    As an experiment I fitted the OEM 35mm tyres and they seemed OK, but wouldn't quite settle down correctly on the rim with a slight up & down movement.
    I then fitted the 23mm gatorskins and they did the same.
    I also fitted the 35's from the Planet X and am sorely tempted to put them on that as they settled nicely and I'm sure the wheels on my CX9 were only 15mm wide.
    I've currently got the 28mm Gatorskins fitted as test for people who have asked if they work, so watch this space.

Took it for a run up & down the road and it certainly seems to get to speed quicker and you can certainly tell the lack of weight. Being 30mm aero rims will certainly help too.

IMGP3855_zps11371f7c.jpg

IMGP3853_zps76e7797b.jpg

Also fitted some Shimano M530SPD platform pedals to hopefully eliminate sideways movement for my damaged right ankle and leg. Yes, I know they are white and look gay, but at a fiver I can't complain and if I get on with them then I will get some M785 XT's.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Anyway, the OEM Ritchey wheels are up for sale now. Hardly used as I have always used the spare I got last year or the Kinesis wheels. Still true, with little run-out and just some up & down movement on the rear wheel that has been there since new and I never sorted as you can't feel it.

£100.00
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Dazza Doom wrote:
    Had the FSA BB replaced with a Shimano today

could i ask what size/model shimano you went for? agreed on the lack of 68x103 options.

BB UN55 Shimano. Not much else about. The Shimano should do the job though.

especially now that the water can get out of the frame :lol:
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Just checking the bike before a ride tomorrow & the dreaded rim tape monster has caused a flat, too late to buy some cloth tape so insulating tape will have to do. Glad I checked it today, during the week it was still inflated so it just punctures them when you are not looking.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Specialized Langster 2014
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • fret
    Supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'm getting out as well.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret wrote:
    Supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'm getting out as well.
    Plenty of sun & next to no wind forecast for down here, it'll make a change. Looking forward to an early start.
    Fret or anyone else, are you doing any CX sportives this year?
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • fret
    The one in March http://www.cxsportive.com/events/south- ... -mar-2014/
    Possibly the one a week later in Salisbury http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... b-mission/
    and the Wiggle June one http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... ic-mtb/and definitely the Fallen Leaves as that is ideal for a cross bike.

I also plan on doing more of the South Downs Way.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • I'm doing the Salisbury ride but it'll be on the Sunday road ride. Also fancy the Fallen leaves after reading about your ride Fret last year. I've done the south downs way on MTB's so look forward to CX'ing it this year too.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • BB UN55 Shimano. Not much else about. The Shimano should do the job though.

especially now that the water can get out of the frame :lol:

What size? Didnt think they did a 103mm UN55.
  • fret
    I must do some road sportives this year, Russ.
    Another good ride is the Meon Valley Railway and the old Midhurst Railway when they aren't waterlogged. I've done the Hayling Billy a few times, but it's a bit short unless I go via the Queen's Enclosre, through7around Havant Thicket and then back the same way. It's all gravle mainly so it's quite fast.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Fret I do the Hayling Billy quite often on my fixie as its flat & fast.
    Is the Midhurst railway the Centurian from Chichester to Lavant?
    I'm also going to Islay in the Western isle for the "Ride of the falling Rain" in August this year, a 100 mile road ride.
    Boardman CX Team 2012
    Specialized Allez 2004
    Dawes Edge tandem 1995
  • fret
    The Centurian? Is that what it's called? :oops:
    Hopefully I may do the D-Day beaches again this year. 280 miles in 3 days or so.
    Triumph Tiger 1200