Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• Hey guys I'm new on here and have just purchased a boardman cx comp 2014 just wondered if anyone new the best mudguards to get for it as the shop is telling me i mite have to modify mudguards cuz of the disc breaks not sure if this is true any help would be super thanks
  • fret
    fret Posts: 439
    As usual Halfords are talking bollocks.
    SKS Chromoplastic P45 (I use P35's) See photo for bend in the stays
    IMGP3420_zps2ca023f3.jpg
    or use the SKS VELO 55 or similar clip on type. These are some £6.00 cheapies but the V55's get good reviews.
    IMGP3433_zpsca5b3d79.jpg
    Lack of mud clearance is the only issue with guards fitted.
    Modded CX 8.5kg, SRAM red/Force
    Planet-X XLS Flanders Ultegra
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    edited October 2013
    fret wrote:
    Now in full winter kit....
    Conti Gatorskin Hardshell 28mm tyres

Hi fret, how do you find the Gatorskin Hardshells? Quick enough? Are they okay for the odd excursion off road and made trails?

Do you use folding or wire bead?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • Hi guys,

I got mine (Team) early last week after the shifters failed on my boardman road. Was quoted £250 with a few other problems a local bike shop so decided to get a new one and look at repairing the road later by sourcing parts.

Got 33% discount (well nearly doesn't add up as 2 reductions of 10% a time) - Reserved on Halfords 10% weekend; 10% British cycling membership and purchased the vouchers from Halfords business with code from Hotuk deals for payment 10% off again. Oh and 3% Halfords top cashback

Anyway I have the clicking so this will need to be checked and head office were very vague about the recall. Local store said will swap the frame when this comes in to stock. Not sure on this but will obviously lose the 10% weekend discount if I demand a refund here now.

And the brakes take a while to stop not what I expected from disc - set up incorrectly or need retuning?
  • newtonuk
    Hi Gazza1000, I was told that they would replace the entire bike when the new stock became available, in about 5-6 weeks time. I hope so because after 4 miles the brake cables are already cutting into the forks!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • newtonuk wrote:
    Hi Gazza1000, I was told that they would replace the entire bike when the new stock became available, in about 5-6 weeks time. I hope so because after 4 miles the brake cables are already cutting into the forks!

Cheers for replying. Interesting will have to broach this with them. Would make sense I suppose as legally you could ask for a full refund now. I suppose they can do a frame only order and transfer across. Am miffed though now I know they've said that to you!
  • fret
    edited October 2013
    gazza1000 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I got mine (Team) early last week after the shifters failed on my boardman road. Was quoted £250 with a few other problems a local bike shop so decided to get a new one and look at repairing the road later by sourcing parts.

Got 33% discount (well nearly doesn't add up as 2 reductions of 10% a time) - Reserved on Halfords 10% weekend; 10% British cycling membership and purchased the vouchers from Halfords business with code from Hotuk deals for payment 10% off again. Oh and 3% Halfords top cashback

Anyway I have the clicking so this will need to be checked and head office were very vague about the recall. Local store said will swap the frame when this comes in to stock. Not sure on this but will obviously lose the 10% weekend discount if I demand a refund here now.

And the brakes take a while to stop not what I expected from disc - set up incorrectly or need retuning?

Brakes need setting up correctly. If they become contaminated they also become rubbish. New discs need bedding in as well. A decent bike shop will tell you how.
    The clicking could be as simple as an incorrectly tightened wheel. The CX seems very prone to loose wheels front and rear. :evil:
    newtonuk wrote:
    fret wrote:
    Now in full winter kit....
    Conti Gatorskin Hardshell 28mm tyres

Hi fret, how do you find the Gatorskin Hardshells? Quick enough? Are they okay for the odd excursion off road and made trails?

Do you use folding or wire bead?

I have the wire ones as they were cheaper (already my boy) and they do trails and gravel fire roads no problem, although generally I refit the OEM wheels and tyres for off road stuff. We used to use normal road tyres in the 70's & 80's in the wodds/mud /local trails with no problem.

Quick report on a chain after a year of use. I do 90 miles a week commutin, every week when working, plus the odd weekend excursion. Occasionally I use the road bike when it's nice weather.
    I worked out in the 42 weeks of use since last November I have done 3500 at least just to and from work, plus around 500 on various excursions both on and off road, so 4000 miles and the chain is just within limits after checking it on the Park Tool I bought only yesterday. It's past the 0.5% limit and some of the chain passes the 0.75% limit, but in many places it's worn.
    New chain, £20.00, far cheaper than £50.00 for a rear cassette or £70+ for new chain rings. I may go for the SRAM RED/FORCE specific hollow pin chain, but to be frank I think the standard 10 speed Rival or Apex type is adequate.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
    Double Bass, Fender 75 Jazz Bass, Fender 94 Fretless Jazz, 2014 Fender Precision Bass, 2007 Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Modern Player 5 String
  • Back in stock at halfords and the old team has £140 off...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    only large and extra large though?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • As per another thread and Essex Commuter's idea, here's a quick thread for Boardman CX riders to record their thoughts and experiences.

Well the thread kinda took off didn't it!

Happy milestone(s) to my CX...10'000 miles reached today.
  • fret
    :lol::lol::lol:

Didn't realise there was so much information available and passion for a single make of cycle.
    So many variations of upgrades and practically universal items fitted such as SKS mudguards.

Looks like Boardman may have ruined it with the new one though :evil: :cry:
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Grr. I decided to join the chromoplastic crowd. I'm sure they will be great when on, but I have to say my efforts at stay bending to clear the bb5s have resulted in a somewhat less than elegant look.
  • Time to decide a new 2014 Boardman CX Team or an old 2013 Boardman CX Team.

Might have to wait on the 2013 Model for 6-8 weeks as awaiting build up (so probably ready for Xmas) or do I risk the 2014 with the cracking - but from all accounts it could be the paint cracking.....

Any advice welcome!
    Summer Bike - Orbea Onix (Ultegra)/American Classics Carbon 58 wheels
    Winter Bike - Boardman Team Carbon (Rival)/Mavic Krysiums
    Commuter - Reynolds Steel Single Speed
    Family Bike - Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Training -Specialized Langster
    MTB -Carrera Vengeance
  • I've got a set to fit to mine this weekend.... will see how we get on.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Shrimp_Stu wrote:
    Time to decide a new 2014 Boardman CX Team or an old 2013 Boardman CX Team.

Might have to wait on the 2013 Model for 6-8 weeks as awaiting build up (so probably ready for Xmas) or do I risk the 2014 with the cracking - but from all accounts it could be the paint cracking.....

Any advice welcome!

It is the paint. If you go in and get one, you can get 10% off that model but you won't be able to go in a year later asking for a replacement frame as you've accepted it.
  • B1257
    B1257 Posts: 1
    Hello....first post on here after finding it via a google search.

CX Team (2012) gets picked up this weekend. Bought with C2W vouchers after years on MTBs. Excited? Is the pope catholic?

Getting it with 10% extra off this weekend in the Halfords bike weekend thing (£729!!). Getting them to check the BB30 and have some Gatorskin 700x25s on order. Will be using it for 30 mile round trip commute and weekends in Dalby/Hamsterley/Guisborough.

Bought some M540s and going SPD for the first time.

Will be checking the rim tape and keeping an eye on the BB and trying to follow the guidance on getting the BB5s working properly.

Anything else I should look out for or just get on and ride the thing!
  • fret
    The QR skewer tension seems to be critical on these bikes. I have found if they are not tight then the front wheel moves under braking and the rear creaks, which took ages to track down thinking it was the BB.

Apart from that, ditch the Microshit front derailleur for a SRAM one and get on and ride.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • fret
    Just discovered I picked up my first puncture of the year :evil:
    A flint the size of Mt. Everest. Being at work means I could do it in the nice warmth of the warehouse.
    Not bad for the Gatorskins after about 3000 trouble free miles, but even those get defeated at times.
    Took the opportunity in the light to also remove a piece of glass the size of a pint glass and several more flints.

Don't you just love winter commuting in the dark and wet?
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • As per another thread and Essex Commuter's idea, here's a quick thread for Boardman CX riders to record their thoughts and experiences.

Well the thread kinda took off didn't it!

Happy milestone(s) to my CX...10'000 miles reached today.

I think a huge debt of thanks is owed to essex-commuter and meanredspider for the genesis of this thread, now some 66 pages young! Well done on cracking 10,000 miles BTW - thats quite a few turns of the pedals!

I wonder how many of us have based purchasing a Boardman CX (or at least amending the spec.) upon information contained within these pages? Maybe the CX is becoming a bit of a modern cycling classic as this blog testifies to the fact that it can be most things to most people! :D :!: Well done to all who have contributed!!!!!
    Anyone going slower than me is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac
  • newtonuk
    This thread was certainly conducive to my purchase. Started fitting my 28mm Gator Hardshells and SKS Chromplastics to my 2014 CX Team yesterday, based on the information provided in this thread... I'm just waiting for Halfords to swap my bike out for one that doesn't have the cracked filler/paintwork now.

One thing I have noticed with the 2014 model is that it feels unbalanced towards the back end when picking it up. I know that there is a lot more gubbings on the back end of a bike, but I don't notice it with my MTB or my road bike in the way that I do with the CX. First thoughts are the PG1030 cassette which is quite heavy compared to last years model which specced a PG1050 (I think).
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    More than anything, you wont notice it with the MTB because presumably it has front suspension.

I am not sure if this balance is a problem anyway though - surely it depends on what point you are holding when picking it up and the geometry of the bike. You may be holding the bike further forward due to the frame shape and therefore feel rear heavy but actually it is just as balanced in terms of weight over each wheel - or even front heavy, there is just no way to tell from lifting it. Accurate weighing scales under each wheel would be the only realy way.
  • newtonuk
    Ah yes, never thought about the suspension fork balancing it.

Anyhoo, it was just a feeling thing, I can't say I've ever noticed it with any of my other bikes, but did with the CX. It usually has both wheels on the ground anyway, so in use it's a bit of a non-issue... But I will be using it as an excuse to upgrade my cassette at some point :-D
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • newtonuk
    The Chromoplastics don't come with a bolt that is long enough for the 2014 forks!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • fret
    Does the hole go all the way through then on the new model?
    The "proper" model has just a threaded hole. :lol::lol:

If you want a longer one,use a bit of stud bar and some nuts & washers.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • newtonuk
    Yes, all the way through. A threaded hole sounds much better. I'm not an engineering type, so I'll probably try to find a longer bolt from a shop, must admit to being a bit nervous of crushing the fork... Took me most of yesterday afternoon to fit the rear mudguard ;-)
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • fret
    You should be OK, my old Cannondale CX9 had a bolt through fork.

I think I now know the reason for much of the brake drag we get with the BB5's. The pads don't return properly and I believe a stronger spring is needed on the cam.
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • Chromoplastics now fitted to last years model. Aesthetically, bit too much clearance with the 28mm gatorskins. Not sure if they'll fit the 35mm excavaders because I have a topeak velocity rack fitted at the back and its too narrow to let the mudguards go quite as far up as they ought to.

New cable cutters cut through the stays like butter. Again aesthetics, but my stay bending to clear the front brake left a lot to be desired. On the back, no bending or even cutting required.
  • Just a slight plea for advice on Mudguards, which despite my many years of cycling I've never owned a set ...........

I'm looking to fit a set to mine (2013 model) for Winter riding and as far as I can tell the consensus seems to be that SKS Chromoplastics are the ones to go for (not clear on what the difference is between these and the SKS Bluemels :?)

What is the best size to go for, is it the 35's or the 45's? As far as I can tell there does not seem to be enough width at the rear seat stay bridge to fit a 45 mm wide guard?

I'm planning to run both conti 28mm 4 seasons and 35mm excavators (and similar cyclocross type tyres)

Any help and photo's much appreciated! :mrgreen:
    Anyone going slower than me is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac
  • fret
    I use the 35's, which fit the 28mm and the OEM Excavaders, but only just, so I would go for the 45's if I had to change them as the 35's are not really recommended for the 28mm tyres.
    There isn't really enough room for mudguards at all if you take it off-road, even with clip-ons. Only MTB seatpost type ones are any use there. On page 65 there are also pics of mine.

Below with 28's

002_zps7b737e75.jpg

And with the OEM in the snow

IMGP3420_zps2ca023f3.jpg
    Triumph Tiger 1200
  • newtonuk
    I've just fitted 45s to my 2014 model. Admittedly I had to squeeze the guards a little to be comfortable on the rear seat stays, but nothing much. I'm running it with 28mm Gator Hardshells as recommended in here.
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)