isotonic drinks

pieman99
pieman99 Posts: 42
Hello, my local supermarket (morrisons) are selling their own branded name isotonic drinks, 3 for £1, 500ml bottles.
Now i know the drinks can be useful for training, but i was wondering do you think that these ones are any good or are just of such a low quality that all they are is flavoured water? i dont know what makes a good isotonic drink, so any information about this would be very interesting!

Thanks all.

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well I use Ribena in my bottles on all rides and I'd have thought those isotonic drinks would be better than it.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    CSB time - you know lucozade claim (or used to claim) that drinking their product gives 33% greater endurance than water? Well, I know a guy who was involved in the "research" that backed up this claim. Basically, they made the poor bast@rd (and others, obviously) run for two hours on a treadmill at a very high pace (to completely deplete glycogen) then sent him to bed without any food or drink, save for water. The morning after, they performed the comparisons that led to the 33% claim.

So yes, lucozade can make improve your endurance by 33% in you're in a seriously glycogen-depleted state. I wonder what effect it has on a properly fed individual? Or vs that old classic, squash + sugar and a bit of salt? My guess is the square root of f**k all.

Er, hope this helps.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    In answer to your question about information about drinks you'll find Google is a good source. Just enter 'isotonic drinks'

£1 for 1.5 litres is an enormous amount of money for something you could make yourself by the many gallons for £1.50.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    erm, try it?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    Recently been having cramp troubles and have founf pre-ride liquid intake mega important. Just use fruit juices and water (50-50) and a pinch of salt in each of your bottles and a SMALL pinch of salt in all your drinks during the day if you are a profuse sweater.

I am a wierdo and usually have 6L of water a day anyway so probably need the salt!
  • Nuun tablets?

Never drink that sticky sweet shit unless ifs MEGA hot and ive ridden a long way.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    coombsfh wrote:
    Recently been having cramp troubles and have founf pre-ride liquid intake mega important. Just use fruit juices and water (50-50) and a pinch of salt in each of your bottles and a SMALL pinch of salt in all your drinks during the day if you are a profuse sweater.

I am a wierdo and usually have 6L of water a day anyway so probably need the salt!
    If you're drinking 6 litres of water you will almost certainly needs salts otherwise you might be heading for collapse due to lack of electrolytes - which can be fatal.
  • I buy the tesco isotonic own brand drink. 36p each for 500 ml., less than that if you buy the 4 pack. Suits me fine. Just a bit sweet/string so I dilute it.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    High 5
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.