cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not bad at all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Amazing price, just bought some myself! Will knock 200g per TYRE off my current 2.2s!
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Will be buying some when I get home. Cheers for the heads up..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • 70s_kid
    70s_kid Posts: 56
    Very tempted to buy some of these, they seem a bargain.

I ride a mix of conditions and want to use the same tyres all year round, are these suitable or would I need to avoid certain conditions?
  • Just to let those that don`t already know these are Cube branded and are grey with a black stripe (although this appears to be the other way around if you look at the following link);

http://walkerscyclingshop.co.uk/product ... ductID=385

Probably not that relevant or important but worth knowing all the same....
    2017 YT Jeffsy 27 AL Comp
    2016 Specialized Allez Elite DSW
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport Compact
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Just to let those that don`t already know these are Cube branded and are grey with a black stripe (although this appears to be the other way around if you look at the following link);

http://walkerscyclingshop.co.uk/product ... ductID=385

Probably not that relevant or important but worth knowing all the same....
    I can confirm that mine arrived this morning, and yes, they are exactly as described on the web site... :?

i.e.
      Grey with black stripe has small Cube logo on the sidewall
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • supersonic
    Mine arrived too - but not as described. Weighed a whopping 540g. Not happy.
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    As these are the EVO tubeless ready version does anyone know if they have a stronger sidewall than the standard one?

Got one of those from on-one earlier in the year and it lasted one ride before being ripped on a rock... :cry:
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Have ordered a pair of these as well but wont be impressed if they are that heavy!! Rocket Rons are ment to weight about 445g give or take a bit. If these weight over 500g then whats the lightest Rocket Ron tyre?
    Dont mind having a 'Cube' logo on the tyre for that price though.
  • guy72277
    guy72277 Posts: 74
    Just read this in an "Upgrade" article on Bike Radar - worth thinking about in this context...

"Even if your bike came with 'name brand' (Maxxis/Schwalbe/Continental/WTB/etc.) rubber, the tyres may well be plasticky OEM ones (cheaper versions made to be sold with full bikes) rather than more grippy aftermarket ones. Beware of this when buying upgrade tyres online, too – if a price seems too good to be true, it may well be an OEM product."

http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/article/t ... none-30297
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    The Rocket Ron 2.25 evos that came on my spark tipped the scales at 404g and 406g
    I would not be impressed with 540g!!!!
  • guy72277
    guy72277 Posts: 74
    If these tires are the "plasticky OEM ones" and weigh more than the stated 445g, I'm pretty sure you'll be within your rights to ask for a refund if +/-50g and hard rubber compound is not your thing. It's not going to make that much of an impact on your riding, and £14.99 is one helluva bargain though....
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Just to clarify..

i have ordered one for the back wheel. It will run perfectly well with a tube and on a set up designed for inner tubes?

Again, i won't be impressed if they are over 500g as i got them for the bargain price but also as they are light and that is what i want!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Just to clarify..

i have ordered one for the back wheel. It will run perfectly well with a tube and on a set up designed for inner tubes?

Again, i won't be impressed if they are over 500g as i got them for the bargain price but also as they are light and that is what i want!

its designed to run with tubes

I run mine tubeless with stans and it runs just fine zero issuses
  • evo3ben
    Wont be able to get mine till monday as on holiday but i will def send them back if they are not as discribed.
    Im not trying to be fussy but i did buy these to be a lighter tyre than the ones im already using to test in my next race but if over 500g then not much point.
    I really hope On-One are not selling the cheaper tyres as stated above in the Bikeradar artical :?
  • supersonic
    OnOne have kindly agreed to refund. Their test sample they said weighed 520g.
  • ^^ that clears it up then these are OEMs that why the price is silly low,they need to change their website otherwise people are well within rights for refund.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • supersonic
    They are the triple nano evos though - not sure where the extra weight is.

Still a very good price for what it is, but not the lightweight option it is made out to be. +/- 20g I'd have been happy, but just too much extra.
  • evo3ben
    Had a search around and Bikeradar reviewed the Rocket Rons in 2010 saying that they have dropped weight from 510g to 465g. Maybe they are old stock and not the newest, lightest version Rons.
  • A set of nobby nice just arrived this morning from on one - £19.99 each. They aren't oem and arrived properly boxed. They are the 2009 model though so are heavier than the 2011s as stated on the website.
    Not if I can help it!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    As these are the EVO tubeless ready version does anyone know if they have a stronger sidewall than the standard one?
    They're not the 2011 TLR Pace Star ones, they're older ones, which so still work tubeless very well. However no, the 2011 Tubeless Ready ones don't have tougher sidewalls, just a different bead. Anyway... Evo Rons have always been lighter than 540g, I've had several sets of 2.1s, and they've all been <420g. Shame these are so weighty, was gonna get a set!
  • evo3ben
    Weighed mine today, 508g and 522g. They are 2.25 version. They have not got the Cuge logo on them but do have the Evo triple compound logo.
    Going to stick with these for the rest of the year and see how i get on. Still 150g lighter and less rolling resistance over my panaracerfire xc pro 2.1's so not all is lost.
  • Matt RH
    Matt RH Posts: 30
    i mainly ride in the surrey hills, up at holmbury, BKB etc

would people recomend these or pay the extra 5er per tyre for the nobby nics? here http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCNICEVO/ ... lding-tyre
    someone above mentioned these are not OEM but are a 2009 model

not had any experience of either so any help would be appriciated
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They are the older model, but the weight they're claiming still seems excessive. I use Rons around the Surrey Hills, and they're spot on.

Personally, as these are coming out so over weight, I'd pay a little bit extra and get pukka Rons, which will be about 400g in a 2.1, from here.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    njee20 wrote:
    They are the older model, but the weight they're claiming still seems excessive. I use Rons around the Surrey Hills, and they're spot on.

Personally, as these are coming out so over weight, I'd pay a little bit extra and get pukka Rons, which will be about 400g in a 2.1, from here.

I'l buy them cheap and overweight... believe me... 150g is going to make VERY little difference to my bike or the overall weight :)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Not static weight no, but we're talking about rotational mass where the effects are very different.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    Just picked up my pair of these and I am happy to keep them.

I currently have a set of Nobby Nics 2.25 front and back on the bike, do you reckon it is worth swapping out the rear for a Ron or should I just hang on to these until next summer? Riding around Sheffield, ie Houndkirk, Blacka Moor and Stanage.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    A set of nobby nice just arrived this morning from on one - £19.99 each. They aren't oem and arrived properly boxed. They are the 2009 model though so are heavier than the 2011s as stated on the website.

Just got my Nobby's this morning - boxed silver striped Evos with 570g on the box. A year or two old but half the normal price is fine with me.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    weeksy59 wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

I'l buy them cheap and overweight... believe me... 150g is going to make VERY little difference to my bike or the overall weight :)

150g doesnt sound like a lot but its actually over a 1/4 lb, just something to think about :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Anyone know how the Big Apples size up? Quite tempted by a pair of those for my commuter. (if the sizing's accurate I'll want the 2.0 but if they come up undersize I'll want the 2.35)
    Uncompromising extremist