Training on single speed

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Hi

I cycle a single speed into/out of work. I am thinking I may start adding in some more specific training around regents park after work.

Assuming the gear allows me to get my HR up, would this offer the same training benefit as the bike I intend to race on, or should I train on the bike that I race on? main difference are
- 1 gear v's many
- Cheap shoes with SPD's v's good carbon soled shoes with SPD-SL
- Less aggresive setup

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    If you can ride at the correct pace for your workout, then you'll be fine. The difference in position isn't likely to make much difference for an amateur.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd train on the geared bike. You'll almost certainly spin out on the single speed. Single speed or fixed is fine for just riding around, but far from ideal for structured training (e.g intervals) cos you'll almost certainly find yourself spinning out unless you run a massive gear.
    More problems but still living....
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Having always ridden gears and trained for road racing I thought I'd try riding 72" fixed for the winter over my training routes. In the spring I changed to gears. I then discovered that the single gear winter was a complete was of time. It was very painful trying to get back the strength that I had lost. So, never ever again did I do that.

I think that single gear training though has its merits. However I reckon it has to be fixed at about 72". The reason I say this is because I took part in a 72" fixed 10 mile TT once and it was excruciating. Now I know I had my foot position wrong for spinning and a 165mm crank would have also helped. So many time during that race I couldn't keep up the cadence because I was breathing like mad and I couldn't rest because I was on fixed. I was blown apart after each spin session and I realised then what an amazing interval session. But being on low gearing on the flat I didn't know were it fitted in to my training for road racing. Now a days they have spin classes which is supposed to be good for you so I guess single gear fixed has its something to offer.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • there has to be an advantage.. Because your working hard on the flat and on the climbs..
    But I have not found and proof for or against single speed training..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I train/cycle on a singlespeed.

I do it a) because I fancied a singlespeed round London and it's the only bike I have here, but also b) I find the lack of gearing forces me to MTFU and ride hard when it goes uphill.

I don't find it noticeably slower uphill (within reason, obviously), and I'm fine up Box HIll etc.

Round Richmond park is quite interesting. You manage your ride differently. The steeper bits are totally flat out, and you recover on the downhill.

I'm definitely a stronger rider for having ridden singlespeed, even if it just forces me to do harder intervals than a geared bike would do otherwise.

That and the simplicity of it makes for a more stress free ride.