Single ring on a AM/Trail Hardtail

2»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    andyrm wrote:
    I run a 34t Blackspire ring with a Superstar Plasma device and a PG990 11-34 cassette. Race and ride on it every week including trail centres, natural and local trails. TBH with a wide ratio cassette, there is zero reason anyone shouldn't be able to do it. It's just down to developing the fitness.

What I've found is that I often run out of grip before I run out of power- there's quite a few climbs round here where the smoothness of a lower gear gets me up, but the neccesarily pulsy power of the middle ring overwhelms the traction.

I imagine I'd have missed the 22T more in France, there's just something about riding up a tour de france climb that climbs twice the height of ben nevis on a fat tyred 6 inch full suss that makes you want lower gears :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    I did the 50km Skyline Trail (Red) in Afan Forest yesterday (7 hour ride) and never used granny once. I was in the stiffer range of the middle ring for most of the time. In fact, I only used my big ring on the road on the way there and back to the car park. I think a single may be too much of a jump at first, so maybe ease into it with a dual, and see how much I actually end up using both rings...
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Just because you CAN get up something in the middle, doesn't mean it won't be easier, faster and more efficient to get up it in the granny.

it's all a pi55ing competition up a wall really isn't it

"i can run a single ring so i'm better than you".

Funnily enough, i ran a single for 2 years, i realised about 65km into the Afan Monster when i simply had NOTHING left in my legs, i needed a granny ring.

Nowdays i run a double... i don't use the granny often... but occasionally it's SOOO much easier to spin a light gear than push a hard heavy one.
  • h34e0f
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Just because you CAN get up something in the middle, doesn't mean it won't be easier, faster and more efficient to get up it in the granny.

Funnily enough, i ran a single for 2 years, i realised about 65km into the Afan Monster when i simply had NOTHING left in my legs, i needed a granny ring.

Nowdays i run a double... i don't use the granny often... but occasionally it's SOOO much easier to spin a light gear than push a hard heavy one.

I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying, I just can't stand the pulsing movement you get from the granny, I'd rather stand up and stomp in a slightly higher gear, or walk
  • weeksy59
    h34e0f wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying, I just can't stand the pulsing movement you get from the granny, I'd rather stand up and stomp in a slightly higher gear, or walk

The concept of walking up a hill is completely alien to me. I've had to do it once or twice when XC racing as it was ridiculous.. but to have that as a regular occourence... i just can't comprehend.
  • h34e0f
    weeksy59 wrote:
    The concept of walking up a hill is completely alien to me. I've had to do it once or twice when XC racing as it was ridiculous.. but to have that as a regular occourence... i just can't comprehend.

Oh by all means it's not a regular thing. I did it once on my 50k ride yesterday, and that's because it wasn't worth putting my seat up for the short (but steep) section and I just couldn't be bothered to stomp it with my full-face on as it was too hot. For the sake of a 25m slope, I don't feel it's worth having a granny.

The only other time I'd consider walking is on stupidly rooty/rocky sections where I can't gain enough grip in a lower gear
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    weeksy59 wrote:
    If it gets you to a good bit of down and it's not much of a push but a savage steep climb that leaves you with no energy for the down, then I'm all for it. But then I don't do XC races and my riding isn't about climbing.

Still, some XC whippets prefer to walk down, which is what I can't comprehend ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46cCfiQv ... re=related
  • h34e0f
    deadkenny wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    If it gets you to a good bit of down and it's not much of a push but a savage steep climb that leaves you with no energy for the down, then I'm all for it. But then I don't do XC races and my riding isn't about climbing.

Still, some XC whippets prefer to walk down, which is what I can't comprehend ;)

:shock: that's what? A green? :lol: . I'd have taken the drop off the side on that :P
  • h34e0f
    & I wouldn't have to wear Lycra to manage it 8)
  • weeksy59
    deadkenny wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:

I'm going to save this forever as you called me an 'XC Whippet"..
  • h34e0f wrote:

What I don't understand is how you know that you don't like the 'granny ring'.

You said very specifically that you have never used it, and you don't even know if your bike will shift into it.

If you try it, perhaps you will be surprised! :)
  • h34e0f
    Razor1548 wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:

What I don't understand is how you know that you don't like the 'granny ring'.

You said very specifically that you have never used it, and you don't even know if your bike will shift into it.

If you try it, perhaps you will be surprised! :)

That is clearly an exaggeration.

I've also not only had the one bike for the past 20 years and have so had the displeasure of having a granny ring on previous bikes.
  • h34e0f wrote:

That is clearly an exaggeration.

That's what they call it these days is it? :D