Probably a stupid question

mants1
mants1 Posts: 16
So you've been out on the bike, rode a decent distance, the next day legs are sore.

Do you go out on the bike again or rest them?

What does most people do?

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rest and recovery is just as important as training. if your body is telling you to rest then it is probably best to rest rather than punnish it further.

or as others will tell you. MTFU.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It depends. Sometimes riding again might be the right thing to do. Other times a short recovery spin on the bike might be better. Other times complete rest might be better.
    More problems but still living....
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Rest a day if you want. Or go out and just twirl for 30-60 mins. Soreness usually disappears once you get warmed through but don't overdo it!
  • mants1
    Well in the end decided to head out for a short ride tonight, 8km rode at 25km average on thr mtb, keeps the legs moving.
  • I generally just have a 15 mile leg spin. e.g. last night I did my club's chaingang. This morning went out for 15 miles and kept hr about 120 and cadence 90+. Was in the 42t chainring most of the ride to stop me putting to much power in.

The movement will get blood flowing to the muscles which will aid recovery. Better than rest in my opinion.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If I go on a recovery ride on my road bike I keep my HR around 120 and probably only average 14 or 15 mph.

I find no advantage in doing that though vs just not touching the bike.
    mants1 wrote:
    Well in the end decided to head out for a short ride tonight, 8km rode at 25km average on thr mtb, keeps the legs moving.

That does not sound like recovery to me, 25kmh on a MTB might aswell have not bothered with the bike.
  • mants1
    Dont really understand what you mean. It was along a tarmac cyclelane.
  • freehub
    What was your HR?
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Thats an average of 15 or so mph. Not bad on an MTB if its still set up for off-road with big tyres, suspension etc.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    freehub wrote:
    If I go on a recovery ride on my road bike I keep my HR around 120 and probably only average 14 or 15 mph.

I find no advantage in doing that though vs just not touching the bike.
    mants1 wrote:

That does not sound like recovery to me, 25kmh on a MTB might aswell have not bothered with the bike.
    Why not? He did not state what terrain it was on so how can you decide it was not a recovery ride?
    Probably just a bit too short but 15mph can be ok for recovery ride.
  • freehub
    His HR will show if it's recovery pace or not.
  • mants1
    Dont have a hr monitor, so not sure what it would be.
  • mants1
    Nairnster wrote:
    Thats an average of 15 or so mph. Not bad on an MTB if its still set up for off-road with big tyres, suspension etc.

Yeah the bike is a Giant hardtail with lock out suspension, fat tyre but they arent big mud tyres more with the sandy dirt here is Oz its to cope with that better.
  • freehub
    A HR monitor does help for recovery.

You could be going on a recovery ride and think you're not pushing too hard when you might be doing 140 odd HR which ain't recovery, it might not be hard but it don't help recovery.

Before I started using my HR monitor I used to go out on rides, come back, upload them to Garmin and have them names as "steadyish" or, not pushing too hard, when I'd be averaging 19-21mph and as soon as I got a HR monitor I found I was pushing over 160 which ain't steady! :lol:

Apparently for training though like intervals HR is not good to use, but It is for recovery IMO stop from going overboard.