Pushing without a purpose

Logic
Logic Posts: 54
I was going to add to cabbage1879 "motivation" thread but as im coming from a different angle i thought I'd start my own.

Iv been road cycling for just under a year with the main goal of losing weight and getting into shape as I turned thirty. I have lost 2 stone and now back to my usual 11 and a half stone and feel great.

I really enjoy cycling and go on regular 30 mile rides ( which i know aint exactly far but all part of the enjoyment )

iv just started look at upgrading my bike and brought some new wheels, when talking to a friend about the perceived performance increase he asked me why I was bothering as Im not a racer and aint looking to compete?

This made me think for a minute and I couldn't asker the question without looking silly.

My question to others is why do we push ourselves so hard to achieve self worth without the glory of competition? Im not interested in competing at all, may do a sportive next year, but I push on every ride to get fast with no idea why?

But I love the feeling of beating those hills and dragging my butt home ahead of time. is this just the joy of cycling in its raw playful form?

Comments

• Logic
    Do We need goals to make our sport more enjoyable? would love to do some of the classic tour de france climbs mind.

I agree with the endorphins - lol
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Logic wrote:
    Do We need goals to make our sport more enjoyable?
    Only if they are achievable. :wink:

Otherwise, they'll just weigh you down. :x
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Competition is just one form of challenging yourself. Getting to the top of the next hill, doing your first 100, doing a certain number of miles in the year are all common targets that people set for themselves that are not necessarily competitive. Or you may wish to attempt a challenging tour, or do a couple of audaxes (audices?) or summat. You can do what you want, that's what's so great about it!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky - and I just like going fast. I'm growing old and was very unfit, but I'm slowly getting fitter. I've tried a couple of TTs through a club, but struggle to get there very often as they go out early evening. I've also done one sportive. So although I would like to compete, realistically its unlikely to happen.

However I like to get out and really push myself, regardless of how that compares with other people - for no other reason than because I can.
  • Logic
    I fully agree with you all - personal goals are what motivate us but do we have the goals because we cycle or do we cycle to complete the goals?

Iv heard people say that they trained for events and after completing they stopped cycling.

I think i have goals but i cycle because i love it. since writing this iv brough 100 climbs and next year I want to plan weekends away and go through the book and see how that goes. suppose the goal is to become a better climber?

it will give purpose to the turbo this winter - which i do so i dont lose performance of winter i guess. dont think any1 truely enjoys the turbo........do they - lol
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    burger and a beer
    i need more bikes
  • I've always enjoyed measuring myself: Whether that be against myself or against others; in a friendly way or competitively, it's just something that I've always enjoyed to do.

In the beginning, it's just a way of pushing yourself on. Take the theoretical hill that you've yet to conquer in a single go - you just want to get further than last time. Later on it becomes about doing it faster, or making it harder for yourself. I've only had my road bike for about 4 weeks, but I've been logging everything that I do using an iPhone app. Because I perceive improvements in myself (both physically and physiologically) and because I can back up those perceptions with data to show that improvements are being made, then it's a further motivator to go out and try harder.

Beating something for the sheer joy of it does not lessen the acheivement, because it's something you've worked for and then obtained. If new kit is a part of that and increases your enjoyment (and therefore makes you push yourself to go out more rather than stuffing your face full of crisps on the couch), then what the hell does it matter?
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • Logic
    i once again agree beasty - i was looking back on my mapmyride log and seeing that my average time over said route has gone down now end to the point im doing my 30 mile route in the time i was doing the 20 mile with 2 extra cat 5 climbs and it makes me proud to look back and see how far iv come -

I think we all have inner goals however silly they may be to others.
  • Logic wrote:
    But I love the feeling of beating those hills and dragging my butt home ahead of time. is this just the joy of cycling in its raw playful form?

I think you've answered your own question there