Liquid Breakfast

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
Any know any proper liquid based breakfast type drinks?

My girlfriend runs but finds it difficult to eat and get out for half an hour before work. I mentioned this stuff to her as i have seen a few threads on it so I've been committed with the task of finding it now!

There was a thread about something called winter fuel I think? A few people were using it but can't quite remember the name/brand.

Any help appreciated.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You can buy flavoured ground oats from Myprotein. Mixed with water or milk it's not too bad though I'd prefer a bowl of porridge.
    More problems but still living....
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    You maybe thinking of Winter Training Fuel which is produced by ALLSPORTS. Have used it for years as a ride fuel. They also produce KICKSTART, which is a breakfast supplement which can be made with a glass of milk and takes away that morning hunger but without having to shovel down a proper breakfast. I think it would be adequate for a half hour/hour ride first thing.
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    Not that I am a good cyclist yet BUT I do exercise a lot and lift weights frequently. When I was building I had to eat a lot of calories and found the following useful in the morning.

-Milk (skimmed)_1 pint
    -Youghurt (low fat)_Half a large pot
    -Honey_1tbsp
    -Peanut Butter_1tbsp
    -Banana_1 whole
    -Whey Protein_1 cup (250 ml beaker)
    -Oats_1 handful

Blitz it all in a liquidiser, food processor, or hand blender and slug away. Not sure how many calories it has in but you can remove the whey if it isnt needed, add berries, other fruit etc.

As I said, I am not a proper cyclist or a nutritionist and my background is in competitive strength sports and am feeding a 15/16st body so perhaps not ideal for your needs but I found this very effective and most filling.

All the best,

Fred.

PS I have a mate who whizzes up tinned tuna and fruit juice, I have not tried it and yes, he is certifiable!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    cadseen wrote:
    a cup of coffee, train on that :lol:
    I'll raise you
    2 doppios
  • coombsfh
    Not being an experienced coffee head I find myself overcome with an inhuman urge to relinquish a stream of otters into the nearsest toilet then spend the next hour twitching!

No coffee for breakfast :oops:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    JGSI wrote:
    cadseen wrote:
    a cup of coffee, train on that :lol:
    I'll raise you
    2 doppios

I recently had 2 doppio 'ristrettos' from Costa, which the guy said was basically a stronger espresso He wasn't wrong. Was away on a stag weekend and I didn't sleep for the first 2 days. Maybe not ideal for training, but to get you home when struggling, can't think of any better (legal) suggestions.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • coombsfh wrote:
    Not that I am a good cyclist yet BUT I do exercise a lot and lift weights frequently. When I was building I had to eat a lot of calories and found the following useful in the morning.

-Milk (skimmed)_1 pint
    -Honey_1tbsp
    -Peanut Butter_1tbsp
    -Banana_1 whole
    -Oats_1 handful

Blitz it all in a liquidiser, food processor, or hand blender and slug away. Not sure how many calories it has in but you can remove the whey if it isnt needed, add berries, other fruit etc...!

I have roughly the same, but I would never put quite so much whey in there - coupla tablespoons is enough for me. Big handful of raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries sets it off a treat, too.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh wrote:

-Milk (skimmed)_1 pint
    -Honey_1tbsp
    -Peanut Butter_1tbsp
    -Banana_1 whole
    -Oats_1 handful

Blitz it all in a liquidiser, food processor, or hand blender and slug away. Not sure how many calories it has in but you can remove the whey if it isnt needed, add berries, other fruit etc...!

I have roughly the same, but I would never put quite so much whey in there - coupla tablespoons is enough for me. Big handful of raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries sets it off a treat, too.

Sorry Cakelovinbeast,

I don't brim it, anywhere between 1/2 to 7/8ths full. I am also a liar as today all I had was tea and a nana then went for a quick 10 mile blast.

On a little side note, anything I have liquids-wise I have taken to putting pinches of salt in since recent box-hill reps taught me how easily cramps can sneak up.

Also, I find the milky, oaty pint and then some beast quite heavy to exercise on up to an hour after having it...easily vomited up[ if you go wild immediately after.
  • Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that you're wrong to do it... Just that I use less. Whatever works for you is best!

I'm lucky - I don't do big miles in the morning, and my body doesn't crave sustenance when I first wake up, so I can get away with relatively little when I get up. For me, I have a banana with a small glass of smoothie, then about a pint of the stuff when I get to work with a brew.
    coombsfh wrote:
    Also, I find the milky, oaty pint and then some beast quite heavy to exercise on up to an hour after having it...easily vomited up[ if you go wild immediately after.
    Yup! It's why I tend to do most of my effort sessions in the afternoon/evening!
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • m00nd0g
    m00nd0g Posts: 176
    I struggle to eat first thing in the morning. I ofton just buy a can of Nutrient
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Optimum Nutrition - Oats and Whey can be made drinkable-ish

Expensive though but apparantly very very very tasty and the protein will sustain hunger until the next proper small meal (should she be eating more often in smaller portions)