lurkers sign in here.....

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
We haven't had a "flush them out" thread in a year or so.

Are you lurking around? Don't be a stranger, post a Hi!

New blood needed :D
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• sjacob33
    sjacob33 Posts: 38
    *pokes out head*
    yeap saw the sun spring will come back to australia great oh and hello
    *goes back to lurker laie*
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Not lurking so much, as newb/noob. Decade on a old Saracen in London, dozen years on a Trek HT in the country (Zummerset) & now a Spesh Roubaix for a short (6m e/w) commute. Just seeing how quickly I can blow another monkey (!) on gear. Mmmmm Rapha....

So hello! :D
  • 5tu-pid
    5tu-pid Posts: 22
    Hi,

New to this riding lark - bought a new road bike during the week of the Royal wedding (mainly to avoid watching it on tv) after a long break from cycling.

Love getting out on the bike now - longest ride so far is just over 60 miles and I have entered the Brockenhurst 100 in Oct.

Dont really say much on here for fear of being flamed due to my limited knowledge!

Stu
    '96 Kona U'hu
    '11 Specialized Camber Expert
    '11 Boardman Road Race
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Welcome lurkers or newbies! \o/

Don't worry about limited knowledge - doesn't stop the rest of us. ;)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nah, not me. To many Londump folk on here - we need the rest of the UK.

8)
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    Been on the forum for a few years and lurk in here from time to time, tend to be more into commuting side of things compared to mountain biking.

David
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Stu, Lex, SJ, David, Welcome!

'koff Fossy :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Agent57 wrote:
    Welcome lurkers or newbies! \o/

Don't worry about limited knowledge - doesn't stop the rest of us. ;)

+1 to all of that!

We tend not to flame anyone in this section of the forum because most of us wander round in a state of blissful ignorance, while those in the know take pity on us. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 5tu-pid
    5tu-pid Posts: 22
    I guess its just bad experiances on other forums in tha past......thanks for the warm welcome

It was only after I had replied earlier that I realised that I had commented in the 'Commuters' section - unfortunately my commute is too far at the moment (50+ miles) so sorry for hijacking this thread when I am not a commuter!

Stu
    '96 Kona U'hu
    '11 Specialized Camber Expert
    '11 Boardman Road Race
  • _Lizz_
    _Lizz_ Posts: 17
    Hello, long time lurker here! More of a mountainbiker in my free time than a cycle commuter but I do take the bike to work sometimes.
    I don't post much because usually everyone else has already said what I would have (and have progressed to arguing about it). 8)
  • Guilty as charged. Been lurking for ages.
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • Niccoss
    Niccoss Posts: 9
    Hello, I've been lurking for years.... time I joined in and contribute!
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Owing to work pressures, I can't even remember the last time I posted.

I just about catch up with reading the threads once a week (i.e. I'm a Lurker).

And I'm steadily dropping down the SC Stats league, even though I'm doing the same mileage :cry:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It''s tempting to ask the lurkers which posters they rate and which they don't.

Then again, I think I'd come off quite badly.

Welcome!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Welcome all the lurkers - get invloved!

We all ride bikes and we all like to commute.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    SimonAH wrote:
    We haven't had a "flush them out" thread in a year or so.

Are you lurking around? Don't be a stranger, post a Hi!

New blood needed :D

I thought you were on holiday? Shouldn't you be sunbathing or something rather than posting here?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I lurk and post occasionally.

I got my C2W bike nearly four years ago but only properly got into commuting this year. I've had the occasional bike and train mix before. It's 22.5 miles each way and I've been doing it about once a week since March (with some gaps). My best achievement so far was on Thursday last week when I rode both ways with all my gear, change of clothes and laptop which was quite a satisfying achievement. Previously I've left a change of clothes and my laptop in the office overnight.

The worst point was getting stopped by the police for taking up too much space on a narrow road with pinch points, see a previous thread for the sordid tale, I've reviewed the spot every time I ride through it and can only conclude he was completely wrong.

I read when I can and get lots of useful information. The biggest problem with this forum is it convinces me that at four years old and nearly 1000 miles my Giant SCR2 "has" to be replaced by a Specialized Tricross sport for the winter, even though I really don't need a new bike and there is not enough space in the shed.
  • Hi

Most def a lurker, post now and then. Despite the tag name i do commute almost daily now. I generally lurk as others have said by the time i could reply the moment has passed.

Also, being a midland/northerner i find it fasinating to read about those that commute in london town, having never had the urge to live in a city centre, it is interesting to see how everyone fights for their life on a daily basis. :D

My commute consists of 14 miles each way, on the way in 2 mile in the town, on the way home go through the quite hills where i meet very few cars. I did however have my first abuse the other day, did chuckle to myself as to the absurbity of it.
    Chris
  • Damn, I thought my post-count / date joined ratio would see me top of the league of lurkers, but I think paulintheforrest has got me beat here.
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    Often read the forum, but generally don't post. So definatelya lurker!

I commute daily either to station or into London depending on mood, weather and which bike I want to ride that day.

Although due to a accident with a dog whilst standing on the towpath, I am now sidelined witha a broken tib and fib, so not sure how long before I get back on a bike.... and then I will be passed by everyone and his dog, due to lack of fitness and muscle :(
  • ariba
    ariba Posts: 48
    I read more than I post! Have to confess being a avid follower of "the game", and i think I've seen a few on their (fast) way along Jamaica Road. I couldn't always make a positive identification because of red-shift. :)

and i lurk ... like a lurker ...
    --

Battaglin C13 (white)
    Cube Analog (green/white)
    Decathlon 7.3 (yellow)
    Pinnacle Arkose 3 (grey)
    Looking for bike n+1
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    This forum is quite addictive to read :-)
    Too lazy for posting, anyway riding to work with an old Raleigh roadie, and training and leisure with a new Spesh bought with Cyclescheme (I know it should be the opposite, but the bike parking at work it's too dodgy to leave there the new one...).
  • brigez
    brigez Posts: 31
    Damn, I thought my post-count / date joined ratio would see me top of the league of lurkers, but I think paulintheforrest has got me beat here.

Mmm......close run with me :)
    gimee time, i'll think of something.........
  • Guilty as charged!

Joined up years ago for the MTB side, then didnt really use it! I've just started regular commuting so do quite a bit of reading through the commute and road sections.....
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • I used to be a lurker, and now they can't get enough of me (it is alleged). And I'm not even a commuter, as I am not working and therefore a member of the underclass, but a bike (I have 3) is my default means of transport and I live in an urban area, so a commuting thread most closely addresses the sort of issues I have deal with in everyday cycling. This makes me a hijaker, I suppose, but people on here seem to be tolerant enough.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Hi I'm Nick, definately a lurker! Read a lot of posts on this forum but rarely post myself.

Got into mtbing last summer then took my mtb with me to uni to cycle to uni, its only a 3 mile round trip so I've never really counted myself as a proper cycle commuter. As I go to uni in Leicester and thus mtbing is limited I started doing road rides and fell in love with road cycling, got my first road bike a couple of months ago, an Allez Sport which will be coming back with me to uni this year :)
  • bigbelly
    bigbelly Posts: 83
    Definitely a lurker too. I have made a few posts but certainly enjoy reading up and generally soaking up the atmosphere which can vary fro the truly eye opening :shock: to side splittingly hilarious. :lol:

I mainly commute in London having trained from Hertfordshire to Kings Cross and onwards to Canary Wharf. Gotta back into the habit of weekend rides near Welwyn Garden City on the road bike.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm doing it backwards, drifting to being a lurker having faffed about on here for so long that it's like Groundhog Day sometimes. Toss me a nice helmet debate though and I could be tempted. :wink:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm not a lurker, more of a sporadic poster. Sometimes there'll be something I want to contribute to, sometimes I can't be ar$ed, sometimes I'm away doing riding my bike.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Another lurker emerging from the shadows! Registered some time ago after picking up some useful info but never posted anything.