I can't index

2»

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    What are the 3 steps of correctly indexing the gears?

pick the 1st two steps and repeat over and over and over again.... forgetting the 3rd.... :oops:

Am I right in thinking that your limit screws were really, really set?

Oh yes. Superbly set.

And your cable tension was, erm, rather sloppy?

I have no idea what you're talking about.... :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    awwwwww :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,999
    What are the 3 steps of correctly indexing the gears?

pick the 1st two steps and repeat over and over and over again.... forgetting the 3rd.... :oops:

Am I right in thinking that your limit screws were really, really set?

Oh yes. Superbly set.

And your cable tension was, erm, rather sloppy?

I have no idea what you're talking about.... :oops:
    Just so you know, brakes have cables as well. Double check that yours have some, will you? I do worry so.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I hate everybody
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol::lol:

I can feel the love flowing in the room :)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i feel your pain my brother another mother, i have been trying to fit a disc brake onto my mtb for 2 days now an every time i do it keeps rubbing/ scraping

every guide i look at on-line says just unscrew the mounts pull brake, re tighten the bolts

does it work? does it eck!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i feel your pain my brother another mother, i have been trying to fit a disc brake onto my mtb for 2 days now an every time i do it keeps rubbing/ scraping

every guide i look at on-line says just unscrew the mounts pull brake, re tighten the bolts

Sticky Piston. What's happening is that when you pump it up and tighten the mounts it then only releases on one side and the other pad still drags on the disc. Strip them down and clean them to within an inch of their lives. :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    mudcow007 wrote:

Can you adjust both calipers? I undid mounts, tightened both calipers until the brake couldn't move, undid both a couple of notches so it moved (rubbing). Then pulled lever and did up the mounts. At this point it moved, albeit with rubbing, but was pretty level. Then I undid both calipers one or two more notches till it stopped rubbing.

Probably not the best way, but it worked for me. Avid bb7's.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    pangolin
    "caliper" = piston?

The caliper is the whole assembly on the end of the cable. You have one caliper on the forks and one caliper on the back of the frame. Each caliper has 2 (or 4) pistons, which push the pads onto the disc.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    cheers for all the suggestions peeps, but the brake is brand spanking new! so doubt its down to crud stuck somewhere, i think its "newness" plus it will make me have mega calves if im ridding with the brake slightly on, plus i will have awesome clouds of steam coming off the rotor when it rains 8)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    bails87 wrote:
    pangolin
    "caliper" = piston?

The caliper is the whole assembly on the end of the cable. You have one caliper on the forks and one caliper on the back of the frame. Each caliper has 2 (or 4) pistons, which push the pads onto the disc.

Yes sorry, I mean both pistons.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bails87
    mudcow007
    How much scraping is there? It can take a little while for the pads to bed down, a bit of scraping is normal, as long as the wheel still spins normally.

Otherwise, is the rotor bent?
    MTB/CX

• mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007
    How much scraping is there? It can take a little while for the pads to bed down, a bit of scraping is normal, as long as the wheel still spins normally.

rotor seems straight except it has a slight radial wobble (up an down)

i will take the beast out when its fully built for a test ride an see how it gets on, its almost like the gap between the pads isnt wide enough.....
  • bails87
    mudcow007 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007

rotor seems straight except it has a slight radial wobble (up an down)

i will take the beast out when its fully built for a test ride an see how it gets on, its almost like the gap between the pads isnt wide enough.....

Pretty common when brand new pads have been put in. You end up with miniscule clearance and get an annoying *sching shcing sching* noise for a while as the rotor brushes the pads. Just make sure the pistons are pushed all the way home (if they're hydraulic).
    MTB/CX

• mudcow007
    aye hydraulic (Clarks S2) i will see how i get on, if they keep scratching i might have to upgrade.....again whoohoo i think i have spent about £500 on it so far an its only a old hardtail, i have christened the bike "vordermann" as its getting on a bit but still looks tidy for her age
  • thecrofter
    edited August 2011
    For a bit of extra clearance I folded a business card (or a sheet of paper folded a couple of times) over the rotor then fitted the caliper over that (with the pads pushed well back) pumped the brakes and tightened the mounts. Then remove the card by turning the wheel. Worked a treat for me.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Excuse me - could you get your own "I'm completely incompetent and can't do basic maintenance" thread

This is MY handing in my manhood thread - go get your own.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • thecrofter
    Dear Kieren,

We have hijacked your thread, if you wish to see it again have 15 packets of Haribo (unmarked and used) ready for delivery, further instuctions will be sent. Do not inform the Police or Moderators if you ever want to see it in one piece again.

Signed

Peoples Front of Judea

:lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Excuse me - could you get your own "I'm completely incompetent and can't do basic maintenance" thread

This is MY handing in my manhood thread - go get your own.

Nah, this thread should serve as the girly men ghetto.

(so that I know where to check when I have to fix a puncture)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Hi - my name is Greg and I'm an mechanobollick.

I very nearly sent a brand new set of Campy brake calipers back to wiggle as they were "bent" when in fact the brake shoes were put on wonky by some child labourer in Somalia or wherever the Campy assembly compound is...

I have a workstand and everything

Apparently this doesn't make you in any way a mechanic - you just make a twat of yourself in the standing position.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Kieran_Burns
    thecrofter wrote:
    Dear Kieren,

We have hijacked your thread, if you wish to see it again have 15 packets of Haribo (unmarked and used) ready for delivery, further instuctions will be sent. Do not inform the Police or Moderators if you ever want to see it in one piece again.

Signed

Peoples Front of Judea

:lol:

What? Like pre-chewed? :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X