Vuelta to be on ITV4

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Repost from Pro Race....in case you miss it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My mate has been hired as an editor for that!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Awesome! Thanks!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Life has a ray of sunshine afterall
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Moar live cycling :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wooooooooo hoooooooooooo!

I've said enough :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Great.

Although I have my folks sky id's for my xbox (I'm way too old to be at the folks house) - they don't have an xbox.... heh heh
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Bueno
  • Oh. My. God.

I've just got back from holiday and decided to liven up my evening with the Vuelta highlights on ITV4.

Two minutes in, and I want to kill that Antipodean commentator. With fire.

He sounds like he's reading a shopping list with poor inflection. He couldn't even inject any excitement into the bunch sprint with a pile up in the last 100m. What a tedious git.

And is he deliberately taking the p!ss with the team names? Co-feed-diss? Rah-bo-bank? Haitch-tee-see Highroad (every time in full; every time with the haitch).

Won't be watching that again, thank you very much.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • suzyb
    The commentator is pretty rubbish tbh. But it's still good having another big cycling event on terrestrial TV.

And his monotone droning mean I can still get work done while the cycling is on as theres never any excitement to draw my attention :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Was talking to my friend about this. He isn't doing the highlights.

Personally I couldn't stand the way the shots/scene jumps from one section of the race to another in no order (i.e. it would help if there was an order like breakaway, peloton and then the back) so I couldn't follow the race.

Also I hate the commentator his script seems like it's a random non-linear sequence of phrases written on the back of a fag packet. Of the two times I've watched it I don't think the guy actually explained who was in the breakaway, who was in what jersey, who was at the back and where was Bradley Wiggins.

So I've lost interest.

Terrible.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    Greg66 wrote:
    Oh. My. God.

I've just got back from holiday and decided to liven up my evening with the Vuelta highlights on ITV4.

He sounds like he's reading a shopping list with poor inflection. He couldn't even inject any excitement into the bunch sprint with a pile up in the last 100m. What a tedious git.

And is he deliberately taking the p!ss with the team names? Co-feed-diss? Rah-bo-bank? Haitch-tee-see Highroad (every time in full; every time with the haitch).

Won't be watching that again, thank you very much.

Seriously, stick with it a bit. I hate the commentator too but, to be fair, he knows his stuff. Infact, annoying though his monotone is, I think the real problem is that he is on his own. It would work far better if he had someone to talk to. But although initially I found myself struggling not to turn it off, I can tolerate it now and there have been some good stages!
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Was talking to my friend about this. He isn't doing the highlights.

Personally I couldn't stand the way the shots/scene jumps from one section of the race to another in no order (i.e. it would help if there was an order like breakaway, peloton and then the back) so I couldn't follow the race.

Stage racing is crap in highlight form anyway - every clip you know something significant will happen. There is none of the slow build up that characterises how the races develop. No point not watching the live show even if it is a real struggle time wise!
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:

Wha?

He's the best bit.

The coverage does have all the atmosphere of a midweek, tea time kickoff Uefa Cup match in some obscure Eastern European country.

I'd blame the poor quality of the Spanish host broadcaster rather than ITV4 or the Aussie commentator.

That said I haven't manage to sit through a full 1/2 hour yet....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm glad that its not just me having problems getting into this. As most have said, the commentator is dull, the coverage jumps around, its not very well explained etc.

I'm trying to persevere, but its hard.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • richred_uk
    richred_uk Posts: 167
    Just got back home from hospital after my drink driver assisted crash

The relief at having Eurosport commentary in place of the ITV4 bloke was huge - I'm thinking of adding about a grand onto my claim just to cover for having to watch the ITV4 coverage!
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Greg66 wrote:

Wha?

He's the best bit.

The coverage does have all the atmosphere of a midweek, tea time kickoff Uefa Cup match in some obscure Eastern European country.

I'd blame the poor quality of the Spanish host broadcaster rather than ITV4 or the Aussie commentator.

That said I haven't manage to sit through a full 1/2 hour yet....

I totally agree, the atmosphere has been near non-existent. The difference between the passion and flair of the vuelta and TDF is like chalk and cheese. I just realised the othrer day that the production company, Input Media, is based just across the road from a friend in Sheperds Bush, so I might go and have a word next Tuesday.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not a tour I've ever been able to get into. Post-tdf lack of interest. Who's winning? Someone Spanish?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    so dull...
  • +1 to all that's been said above. Super budget! They've successfully sapped all energy and excitement out of the race. Where are the interviews? Gonna stick with it, though.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Well today must have been a better experience. Mr Wiggins doing so well and an anglophone stage winner! T B H it is a very 'cheep as chips' operation and the commentators deserve credit for holding on to their sanity. The presentation from Spain is poor, someone on another thread suggested that it would do ICU a favour if they had a single production company for all the major tours along the lines of F1.

Still better than nothing.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • tailwindhome
    Roche%20and%20Martin%20stage%209%20Vuelta%2011.jpg
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Is it me or does riding on the tops make you look like a bit of a nodder?

Even if you're going up the Galibier.

Hoods or drops.
  • rolf_f
    Chadders81 wrote:

Hoods or drops.

Give him a job on the commentary team..........
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

Hoods or drops.

I was *somewhat* drunk when I wrote this.
  • cjcp
    Wiggins seems to be going nicely atm....
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    How nicely compared to the other GC guys.

I'm at work today so no live coverage :(
  • cjcp
    Froome beat him though, so Froome and Wiggo second and third atm. Froome could be in red tonight...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

Hoods or drops.

No, I meant it! :lol:

Froome in red, Wiggo third. Dunno if Wiggo was affected by the changing wind conditions or if he just did his usual overcooking it in the first section.....
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

Hoods or drops.

No, I meant it! :lol:

Froome in red, Wiggo third. Dunno if Wiggo was affected by the changing wind conditions or if he just did his usual overcooking it in the first section.....
    Overcooked it. All the late starters had the same conditions (Froome only started 4 mins ahead of Wiggins)

To be fair to Chadders, Dan Martin was nodding quite badly when he was away with Roche then Nibali. Great win, though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • suzyb
    WTF no live coverage on TV tomorrow cause of the touring cars. The day that will (as I understand it) decide who wins the damn race :evil:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    suzyb wrote:
    WTF no live coverage on TV tomorrow cause of the touring cars. The day that will (as I understand it) decide who wins the damn race :evil:
    Not on tv, no, but uninterrupted coverage online...

and extended highlights.

I am excite
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides