Commuting and keeping your bits healthy

2»

Comments

• mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    Blimey. reading this makes me think I'm a filthy sod. I commute 7 miles each way and change my shorts weekly. How dirty cn they get if your showering before/after riding ...?
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Sports Direct do some Karimore [sp?] padded cycling shorts for about £10-15 a pop IIRC, and they're fine for me. You can always wear baggier stuff on top if you feel self concious.

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    mousetoo wrote:
    Blimey. reading this makes me think I'm a filthy sod. I commute 7 miles each way and change my shorts weekly. How dirty cn they get if your showering before/after riding ...?

There is still nasty bacteria down there which start bredding right away no matter how clean you try and get yourself.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ah this is a topic i can get my nuts into.

Background
    My thighs are quite big and so rub together, I've spent years burning through jeans,
    trousers and underwear and having to deal with that sore spot around the crotch area.

OK the sore bit of skin between the thigh and crotch.
    This, to my understanding , can just happen. For me it was mostly never due to clothing but more to do with the friction of skin rubbing against skin. Wearing underwear underneath the lycra I don't personally believe helps.

So needless to say I've spent many years dealing with the aforementioned pain.

Cocoa butter, Vaseline or some such rubbed into the area where you are sore or where soreness can occur (as a preventative see) as I've found to be enough to protect that area and seal any broken/sore.

Padded shorts
    I can't be arsed with non padded shorts and padded underwear - seems excessively British to me. I just go for padded shorts and that's it. For me that's the most comfortable solution however everyone is different.

Non padded shorts
    I rode 53miles wearing non-padded shorts, never again. It wasn't uncomfortable due to the lack of a pad - though the pad is very much about absorbing sweat I found - it was uncomfortable due to a seam in the tights constantly rubbing against and along the shaft of my 'tings'. Rubbed me raw that did - never again.

Commuting clothing wear
    I have 5 pairs of padded shorts, 3 pairs of 3/4 length tights, 4 pairs of full length tights, and one 3/4 length bib. In an ideal world I would have 5 shorts, 5 3/4(three quarter) lengths tights and 5 full length tights. That way I would be equipped for a full week of whatever weather.

I wear a fresh pair of shorts everyday but wear the same pair to and from work. I do this with socks as well unless it's raining.

I find bibs the most comfortable of all cycling clothing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ah this is a topic i can get my nuts into.

Background
    My thighs are quite big and so rub together, I've spent years burning through jeans,
    trousers and underwear and having to deal with that sore spot around the crotch area.

Yep same here, just noticed my fave pair of jeans is starting to wear, have to start hunting for a pair that fit and that I like again now
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    As already mentioned about shorts/bibs etc, clean pair every day. I suffered with this after wearing lycra shorts without a pad = bloody ouch!!

I find a bath, with a little Dettol/Savlon added to the water, once a week (with a couple of showers a day as well) keeps any irritations/infections at bay.
  • Prevention is better than cure - clean shorts and chamois cream - IME Sudocrem is OK but it is no where near as good as proper chamois cream (currently using Udderly Smooth- mmm)

Getting a shower and then talcing up helps - medicated talc can help with mild irritations.
    If you can't ge a shower go for a good wipe around - I've used surgical spirit and then talc in the past , it gets you clean and helps to toughen the skin. But be warned,if you do have any abrasions it'll sting like a b@st@rd.

However I've always found the real problem to be what to do when you do get sore.
    There are two main types of sores -

The boil / third testicle / saddle sore - depends on how big it is (gets) but you can look to burst it, although some people will say you should never do this for risk of infection. Then treat with witch hazel or other astringent - you could go for the surgical spirit as above but again it'll sting - lots. Hydracotezone cream helps too , but you can't use it that often as it actually weakens the skin.

chaffing/sweat rash - a few ways to treat this - use a medicated talc after washing but make sure area is dry first (use a hairdryer) . This will eventually clear it up but it takes time. Use a cream - I've found Canesten athletes foot/jock itch cream to be the best, will clear up quicker than powder but again can take a bit of time. Quickest way is also the most painful - ourold friend surgical spirit folowed by the Canesten cream . This will really,really sting to the point of you almost going into shock but it is definately the quickest way to get rid.

Although the surgicalspirit methods above work I cannot stress enough how painful it can be - but its short lived and IME clears up any irritations faster than any other method

Once your clear of all irritations carry on with the same post wash routine for a few days. Make sure you apply chamois cream before riding and get a few different pairs of shorts with different pads to alternate pressure points. Make sure you are dry as well as clean after washing and apply talc.
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • For me at least talc seems to make things worse - blocks pores or something?!? Anyway I'm more likely to get boils or soreness with talc than without. Perhaps I'm just using the wrong brand?

My approach is clean + dry only. Creams have helped if problems develop or for super-long days in the saddle but wouldn't bother usually.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem