Commuting and keeping your bits healthy

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm sure this question has been asked several times before, but I can't find any help using the site search engine.

For a few months now I have been suffering to a lesser or greater degree with irritation along the crease between my inner thighs and my nadgers. I do appreciate that it will probably have begun with me wearing regular boxer briefs beneath my shorts and that the lining will no doubt have broken the flesh. Whether the area has then become infected or not I am not sure, but I have treated it with Sudocrem and a generic anti-fungal. This seems to keep me on top of it, but has not halted the problem completely. So, I now accept that it's time for me to take the matter seriously, and given the selection of shorts I already own, that means buying more. I have no problem buying top quality clothing, but I am not 100% certain what to do. Do you guys who ride commando use a fresh pair of shorts for each journey, or is it perhaps better to use unpadded shorts with a week's supply of padded undies? Am I right in thinking their are shorts you can buy with removable inserts and if so, can you buy several inserts to swap over into the same shorts? Is this hygienic?

All thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    When I've worn shorts/underwear in the past it gets pretty uncomfortable after a couple days of cycling. I have a few pairs of lycra bibs that I rotate and wash every time they've been worn. Works fine for me, no irritation.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Fresh pair of shorts every day. I tend to use the same shorts, so in the wash every night. It's important during the day that you get them dry - if no facilities use a desk fan - I hang my kit in a corner, and blow them dry with a fan.

As for treating the damage - carry on with sudocrem. If you don't have a shower at work, make sure you at least have baby wipes for a clean down.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    When I've worn shorts/underwear in the past it gets pretty uncomfortable after a couple days of cycling. I have a few pairs of lycra bibs that I rotate and wash every time they've been worn. Works fine for me, no irritation.

Thanks! I was just about to add the question, is a few pairs of quality shorts the best solution?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I use a fesh pair each day but the same ones for the return journey home, getting out of the right away and showering and letting it all dry completely and usually wearing loose stuff for the rest of the night if I can.

After suffering with a pretty big sore in exactly that place which eventually popped luckily 5 days before a trip to arran and the mull of kintyre cycling I know how much discomfort it can cause. I have to use cream down there or i get discomfort, it has helped by having different shorts with different pads which then move the pressure points around and getting a saddle that suits me in the right width.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I've got a couple of padded bibs or some padded Endura and Altura boxers.
    Then I wear unpadded baggies over the top.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    keep it clean/ keep it dry - change your shorts regularly - sudo up before riding/ after a shower.

you could always use Padded UW as suggested and change them everyday.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • At least 2 pairs of decent cycling shorts to give 36 hours to wash and dry.

Make sure they (and you) are dry before you put them on and always go commando.

Shower or have a jolly good wash 'down there 'after every ride (not too jolly if you are using public facilities).
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    As other have said, change shorts daily. You can bring another pair with you for the ride home but I get on fine with turning the shorts inside out and hanging them up somewhere dry (and out of the way) at work. Perhaps more importantly though is to clean yourself. Shower/wash and dry thoroughly as soon as you get to work/home, don't sit about festering in your own sweat.

edit: It appears I have just echoed what everyone else has said. Stupid internet posting delays.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Thanks! I was just about to add the question, is a few pairs of quality shorts the best solution?

For me it is, yes. With regards to the quality of the shorts, you probably don't need to go overboard actually. I have three pairs of Castelli bibs that I'm wearing at the moment, but in reality I think theres little in the gooch comfort department that sets them apart from my cheaper DHB or Gore shorts (they have other benefits though). Actually I think my 3/4 length Gore bibs are my most comfortable, much better testicular support...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

For me it is, yes. With regards to the quality of the shorts, you probably don't need to go overboard actually. I have three pairs of Castelli bibs that I'm wearing at the moment, but in reality I think theres little in the gooch comfort department that sets them apart from my cheaper DHB or Gore shorts (they have other benefits though). Actually I think my 3/4 length Gore bibs are my most comfortable, much better testicular support...

Just to add to that, I'd recommend going for as snug a fit as is comfortable. You don't want it to be like one of those executive toys down there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've been very impressed with my DHB Aeron Race (or Pro, hmmm?) bib shorts. Not 'cheap' but cheaper than a lot of stuff, and very nicely made too.

I had a sore sport in the same place, right at the top/back of my leg, in the 'crease', that was when I did 150 miles in a week, after doing 100 the week before, normally I'd do about 60-80 per week. I had a few days off the bike, made sure I was always clean and dry, used a bit of baby powder and it seems to be fine now.

So, like evryone else has said, keep yourself and your clothes as clean and dry as possible, and wear proper seamless, padded shorts, Basic DHB ones are really cheap and do the job well enough.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Dry your shorts in direct sunshine, that kills off practically all the bugs. Normal washing and drying isnt good enough.
    Tea tree oil is good for lots of skin infections.
    You need a clean pair of shorts every day.
  • Paul E
    MichaelW wrote:
    Dry your shorts in direct sunshine, that kills off practically all the bugs. Normal washing and drying isnt good enough.
    Tea tree oil is good for lots of skin infections.
    You need a clean pair of shorts every day.

I second the tea tree oil, the sore I was truggling with which was right ont he sit bone crease bit, I only started to use the oil just before it popped and cleared and then a lot after to make sure it didnt get infected and it seemed to clear it up a treat.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    - A good chamois cream makes a a big difference for me.
    - Padded undershorts (then cargo shorts over then or whatever) works well
    - Wearing pants/boxers under your 'undershorts' will turn out bad.
    - Buy padded shorts with rubber grippers to avoid them 'riding up' into the crotch area.

8)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I couldn't get on with Sudocreme (apart from the fact I hate the smell) and switched to Assos Chamois Creme after which all has been great
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well, we are all different, I have been commuting for the last 15 years in London, at first I used to change and wash shorts daily. Now I am afraid to say the same shorts may be used for up to 3 days in a row prior to a wash. As the commute is only 8 miles each way this is about 1h 10min ride per day. Also stopped using any cream - after getting a reaction to one of them. But then I don't sweat a lot on my commute as too much stop and start gives you plenty of rests.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    As above about the right saddle. Makes a big difference. I use Sudacrem if its a long ride but don't bother if its less than an hour.
    I also found that shaving the undercarriage area helps also as some of the irritation was hairs being constantly tweaked and pulled out.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Twostage wrote:
    I also found that shaving the undercarriage area helps also as some of the irritation was hairs being constantly tweaked and pulled out.

That's your excuse....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:

That's your excuse....
    and I'm sticking to it :D
  • Thanks lads!

That confirms what I suspected. I'll look into getting a couple of pairs of DHB shorts/tights and will treat myself to a pair of Assos for longer rides. Tea tree oil is a good idea as I believe it is a natural anti-fungal too - I bet it smarts though.
  • notsoblue
    Thanks lads!

That confirms what I suspected. I'll look into getting a couple of pairs of DHB shorts/tights and will treat myself to a pair of Assos for longer rides. Tea tree oil is a good idea as I believe it is a natural anti-fungal too - I bet it smarts though.

Its a cleansing pain though :shock:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I do appreciate that it will probably have begun with me wearing regular boxer briefs beneath my shorts and that the lining will no doubt have broken the flesh
    Boxers are bad for your groinal area when cycling. Get yourself over to Wiggle and buy some DHB padded shorts (either bibs or just the shorts). As has been said, change to a fresh pair every day. Use barrier cream (Sudocreme or a chamois cream) before your ride. If you can give your self a rest you'll recover more quickly.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Thanks lads!

I haven't used it underneath, but I can say that the neat stuff can burn. It might well feel like deep heat in such a soft spot so I recommend trying a small area first. Bear in mind that smearing it on an already tender area, infection or broken skin could result in poor morale.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    3 pairs of rotation, fresh pair each day.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Paul E
    I felt a heating sensation but no burning, it left a fresh feeling too
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    If you can give your self a rest you'll recover more quickly.

That's the funny thing, and I had assumed the same, but I've just come back from a 10 day, cycle-free holiday and the damaged area actually felt worse towards the end of my time away. I did actually shave the area, so that I could apply cream better, and it does feel like it is healing now. I have considered that it might be an infection if it's hanging around, but I have suffered the joys of jock-rot before, when living in Hong Kong, and it neither looks nor feels like that.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Wipe your pad with a baby wipe when you change at work as well to help stop any festering there. It is all very well washing yourself down but putting back on shorts that could be cleaner then defeats all the effort.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    i had the same problem as the OP however i noticed it was only ever on my road bike not my mtb. my bibshorts tended to rise up into this crease area making it sore.
    I came to the conclusion the reason it only happened on my roadie was cos I had the saddle too high, hence the shorts riding up, adjusted the saddle height and hey presto done the job.

i wash my shorts every day so rotate between a couple of pairs including some dhb's. dhb's have an antibacterial pad & so do many other makes, keep an eye out for these.

Also i find if i use a shower gel with tea tree in, it works wonders on sores/ heat spots etc, clears em up.

one final thing, if these sores are quite serious it might be worth allowing them to clear up before trying any of the suggestions
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I did actually shave the area, so that I could apply cream better, and it does feel like it is healing now.
    :shock:

Have you been reading the epilator thread?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    I did actually shave the area, so that I could apply cream better, and it does feel like it is healing now.
    :shock:

Have you been reading the epilator thread?

No, but I am thinking Veet for Men may not be such a bad idea. Mmm, silky smooth...