People think i'm stupid? 50 mile commute.

2»

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

Question to all those who commute over 20miles each way asprilla/ipete/sanchez etc...

i am going from a 10 mile each way to 25- hilly from the chilterns to London, thinking a bag on the back wont be a good idea...

what set-up do you use, full on rack and panniers, rack bag? saddle bag recommendations? will need to carry shirt/undies/trousers. towel and shoes in office....

thanks!

Transport your gear once a week. 5 Shirts + underwear, leave trousers, towel and shoes in office. Nice riding with no luggage 4 days a week.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    spasypaddy wrote:
    flamite see my post on the previous page about some tactics for the longer commute.

thx but not keen to travel in on mon/fri on train...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

Question to all those who commute over 20miles each way asprilla/ipete/sanchez etc...

i am going from a 10 mile each way to 25- hilly from the chilterns to London, thinking a bag on the back wont be a good idea...

what set-up do you use, full on rack and panniers, rack bag? saddle bag recommendations? will need to carry shirt/undies/trousers. towel and shoes in office....

thanks!

I use a bike specific rucksack and have never had a problem. It's important to get one that fits if you're going down this route, too long and you'll get a stiff neck and i find chest and waist straps are a must to keep it stable. I carry a few tools, some tubes, a pump, trousers, shirt and lunch this way and whilst it's a bit heavy I never really notice it. I tend to leave a pair of shoes or trainers in the office as they're quite bulky and a pain in the arse to carry arround. A worthwhile investment is a travel towel that easy to transport home once a week for a good wash
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    flamite wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    flamite see my post on the previous page about some tactics for the longer commute.

So do your washing midweek!
    .. or Ride Monday/Tuesday, do the train bit on Wednesday with clothes for Th/F and M/T...

You might need a couple of extra shirts but that'll soon be offset by the fuel/fare savings.

Cheers,
    W.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Rich158 wrote:
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

thanks!

I use a bike specific rucksack and have never had a problem. It's important to get one that fits if you're going down this route, too long and you'll get a stiff neck and i find chest and waist straps are a must to keep it stable. I carry a few tools, some tubes, a pump, trousers, shirt and lunch this way and whilst it's a bit heavy I never really notice it. I tend to leave a pair of shoes or trainers in the office as they're quite bulky and a pain in the ars* to carry arround. A worthwhile investment is a travel towel that easy to transport home once a week for a good wash

...or (and per previous) find somewhere by your office that'll service wash & iron your work clothes... then you don't need to take them home at all!

Cheers,
    W.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

thanks!

I'm lucky in that I dress down for work. As a result I take in a pair of jeans, three t-shirts and a towel on a Monday and then I'm just taking underwear in every day. I just use a backpack in the summer, but in the winter when I start carrying more gear then I use panniers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

thanks!

Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder
    Carradice SQR Slim
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    flamite wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

no no, you misunderstand. ride in on monday with backpack, ride home on friday with backpack. rest of the week wallet/phone/keys go in back pocket of jersey.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    The only thing that comes to mind, is that it will also depend on your job: is it a physical one, long hours?

I don't do a physically tiring job, but working in the financial sector, I do use my brains quite a bit. I also work damn long hours: I am lucky if I can start after 8 and still finish before 7 in the evenings...
    So for me one hour or so each way is still acceptable, but anything more is asking for trouble.
    When my kids come to visit during the week, I cycle in the morning (just over 16 miles) and take the train back in the evening: still saves me money but it will still enable me to be home before 8PM.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

thanks!

I used to do 17 each way with a pannier. This went up to 21 & I've ditched the pannier & rack which is bliss, especially on windy days!

Can get everything I need into an Ortlieb large saddle bag, amazing and its not intrusive on the bike with only a small hidden mount used on the saddle.

IMG_1166copy.jpg

Carry a spare tube, lever and patches along with a shirt, socks, boxers & wallet. More can be squeezed in if needed.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    flamite wrote:
    Can I hijack...?

thanks!

I used to do 17 each way with a pannier. This went up to 21 & I've ditched the pannier & rack which is bliss, especially on windy days!

Can get everything I need into an Ortlieb large saddle bag, amazing and its not intrusive on the bike with only a small hidden mount used on the saddle.

IMG_1166copy.jpg

Carry a spare tube, lever and patches along with a shirt, socks, boxers & wallet. More can be squeezed in if needed.

Where does the kitchen sink mount?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    iPete wrote:
    IMG_1166copy.jpg

There's something kinda perverse about the tri bars combined with the saddle bag :) Is this your only bike? I'm lucky enough to have a choice of nice bike (Focus Cayo) or work horse (Specialized Sirrus) with rack, mudguards and other accoutrements for wet days and load carrying. Guess which one I prefer riding ;)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Haha there is, sadly since completing my Tri the bars have gone. Its 1 of 4 but the only bike suitable for the full commute! Its capable of racing, touring, commuting, shopping etc. just change the setup around. :twisted:
  • Thanks everyone for the replies, all interesting to read.

We've been extremely busy at work recently and so I've not managed to get out on a bike until today.

I've not yet purchased a bike and so borrowed a mates to see how it goes.

28259.jpg

I ended up doing 15 miles in 1hr 26mins and it was the first time I had been on a bike in 7 years.

The route I took was a gravel cycle path with a few hills.

I gather the big tyres on this bike will have slowed me down? Is there a big difference between these and road tyres? I found this bike takes quite a lot of effort even on flat sections.

All in all I really enjoyed it!
  • Yup, the big, knobbly tyres will slow you down, particularly if they aren't pumped up well. Also, the front suspension will be taking away energy from every pedal stroke. It's not the bikes fault, of course, it's designed for a mountain. Bikes designed for the road are much better suited for the road.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dan.1986 wrote:

I gather the big tyres on this bike will have slowed me down? Is there a big difference between these and road tyres? I found this bike takes quite a lot of effort even on flat sections.

All in all I really enjoyed it!

Yes - I average about 3mph slower on my commute on an MTB with nobblies over my road bike. Even the tyres on my road bike make a measureable difference with performance tyres being measureably quicker than puncture-resistant tyres.

The great thing about riding an MTB (it's how I started my commute) is that it gets you fitter more quickly. You'll fly on switching to a road bike.

The downside is that you'll be more tired and it might sap your resolve.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH