People think i'm stupid? 50 mile commute.

dan.1986
dan.1986 Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone,

Great forum! just started to read up and begin to build my knowledge :D

I currently drive 25-26 miles each way to work but recently had the bright idea of trying to cycle 1-2 days a week if I can. Reducing my costs and getting fitter at the same time.

Obviously I realise I need to build up to doing that sort of distance as I've not been on a bike in years. I'm thinking of driving halfway and going from there and see how I go.

Everyone I've mentioned it to thinks I'm being stupid?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sounds like a fine goal to work towards. You'll certainly see rapid improvements in fitness.

Just make sure you have plenty of food around your place of work as you'll probably be ravenous by the time you arrive!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Not at all, a colleague of mine drives 10miles, cycles 15 to the station and gets the train to town, then reverses that in the evening. He started by driving 20 and cycling 5, and eventually plans to cut out the driving bit completely.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited August 2011
    Welcome to the forum.

If you follow the advice you'll be given on here, riding 50 miles in a day a couple of times a week is not a crazy thing to do.

The general advice will be along the lines of:
    Eat properly (bananas and porridge are good)
    Keep hydrated (food is fuel so think of water as the oil you put in your car)
    Get the right bike for the job (a road bike, definitely not a £75 double suspension mountain bike)
    Wear the right clothing (lycra is worn for a reason)
    Warm up to the distance (going straight into a 50 mile ride from not having ridden a bike in years will definitely put you off riding as you will ache more than a virgin doing a double shift in the Amsterdam red light district)
    Enjoy it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Go for it, I did and love it.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Welcome aboard!

What's the route like?
  • I do 22.5 each way 5 days a week. Get the best gear/bike you can afford. Idealy get 2 bikes, good weather and bad weather. Learn to do your own maintenance because you're going to be doing quite a lot of it!

Build up gradually, I used to do a ride/train combo and gradualy cut the train bit out.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Thanks for such positive responses and advice.

I'm very stubborn and so people doubting me just makes me want to prove them all wrong.

The route is all tarmac but quite a mixture of hills with some nice flat straights too. The way in has some steep inclines but at least the ride home will be easier.

Just need to get a bike sorted now.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Work up to it and you'll do fine.
    Can you fit a bike in the car? Maybe start by driving 20 miles and cycling the last 5, then drive 15 and cycle 10 etc. (ah, seen that someone else already suggested that)

And get a road bike - if you're planning to work to 25 miles each way then you'll want something made for the distance.

Have a read of
    http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/foru ... t=12760586

Bloke who I assume is 20yrs older than you (seeing the 1986 in your username) with a similar question, plus some of the advice that was given.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Warm up to the distance (going straight into a 50 mile ride from not having ridden a bike in years will definitely put you off riding as you will ache more than a virgin doing a double shift in the Amsterdam red light district)
    Enjoy it.

Haha thanks ... I'll be sure not to.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I MTB with a guy who commutes the 24 miles from Coventry to Leicester and then back everyday.

Certainly you need to build upto this, but 1-2 days a week sounds realistic and sensible, the extra time you take will still be less than a trip to the Gym!

My current commute is 6.7miles, but I'd be happy doing 10 miles daily.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    dan.1986 wrote:
    ... currently drive 25-26 miles each way to work but recently had the bright idea of trying to cycle 1-2 days a week if I can. Reducing my costs and getting fitter at the same time.

Obviously I realise I need to build up to doing that sort of distance as I've not been on a bike in years. I'm thinking of driving halfway and going from there and see how I go.
    Good Plan. Go for it.
    We get that a lot... Don't worry, you're among friends, here :-)

You don't happen to have convenient trains along your route, do you? Bike + Train is often a great way to tackle longer distances and can avoid the hassle of getting your bike on & off the car and the temptation to skip a day and carry on driving instead.

Cheers,
    W.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    dan.1986 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Great forum! just started to read up and begin to build my knowledge :D

I currently drive 25-26 miles each way to work but recently had the bright idea of trying to cycle 1-2 days a week if I can. Reducing my costs and getting fitter at the same time.

Stupid no. But you have to be some kind of nutter to want to do it but that doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. However, you've come to the right place and will fit right in here. Welcome.

Start slowly and build up and before long you'll be doing the whole 50 miles every day
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Until I started working for myself my commute was 24 miles each way, and if I didn't need the car in the daytime I'd occasionally go by bike. Did it twice a week and it meant I could get some training in for Sportives etc and still see my kids in the evening. It's really not that far.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    When I started commuting I was doing 24 miles each way.

I was reasonably fit; could run a half marathon and usually ran the 7km each way from the train station to my office. I did a few weekend rides to make sure I could ride 25 miles and then one Monday morning I set off to work on my bike.

I gave myself two hours and I think it took me about 1hr 45 due to getting a bit lost and a bit of a fear of the traffic. I got the train home that night and train in the next morning before riding home. Wednesday was train in and home and then I repeated the cycle - train - train - cycle pattern on Thursday and Friday.

I kept this up for a few tiring weeks until I felt strong enough to cycle in and out in one day, so I move to doing the return trip Mon, Wed and Fri and getting the train on Tues and Thurs. Again, a few weeks of this and then I moved to cycling Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

I never did get round to doing it 5 days a week at that distance; I moved jobs shortly after and my commute came down to 17 miles each way. After doing 24 miles each way, this was a piece of the proverbial. I've now gone back to doing 21 miles each way and the first week was very hard indeed even though I only did three days. I'm doing four days this week (boozing tonight) and then I'll be back on five days a week next week.

Best part of my day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my recommendations are:
    make sure there is a shower at work
    see if there is somewhere secure to keep your bike at work
    take 5 shirts, 5 boxers, 5 pairs of work socks in on a monday
    take 2 or 3 pairs of riding socks so if you get caught in the rain you have spare for the way home
    keep 2 suits/pairs of trousers at the office (get them dry cleaned locally)
    keep shoes at the office
    take shirts, socks and underwear home on a friday afternoon thus minimizing the backpack use.

Enjoy!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I do 21 miles each way - most days.

Make sure you have a half decent bike - with drop bar handlebars.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Asprilla wrote:
    When I started commuting I was doing 24 miles each way.

I was reasonably fit; could run a half marathon and usually ran the 7km each way from the train station to my office. I did a few weekend rides to make sure I could ride 25 miles and then one Monday morning I set off to work on my bike.

I gave myself two hours and I think it took me about 1hr 45 due to getting a bit lost and a bit of a fear of the traffic. I got the train home that night and train in the next morning before riding home. Wednesday was train in and home and then I repeated the cycle - train - train - cycle pattern on Thursday and Friday.

I kept this up for a few tiring weeks until I felt strong enough to cycle in and out in one day, so I move to doing the return trip Mon, Wed and Fri and getting the train on Tues and Thurs. Again, a few weeks of this and then I moved to cycling Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

I never did get round to doing it 5 days a week at that distance; I moved jobs shortly after and my commute came down to 17 miles each way. After doing 24 miles each way, this was a piece of the proverbial. I've now gone back to doing 21 miles each way and the first week was very hard indeed even though I only did three days. I'm doing four days this week (boozing tonight) and then I'll be back on five days a week next week.

Best part of my day.

I've recently extended my route from just under 15 miles to 17 miles as a result of the the TfL Cycle Challenge* and have definitely noticed the difference, but it's starting to feel more comfortable.

*I'm blaming you for this Asprilla. I added an extension to the route to keep the mileage up for the challenge, and now it feels like I'm cutting corners if I don't do the full 17 miles. It's also a nicer route.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I currently do 15 miles each way, everyday

In 2007/2008 I was doing 35 miles each way, over Exmoor, in the winter, on a singlespeed two or three days a week

You don't need a fancy bike but you do need a reliable bike
    You will eat a lot
    There will be someone who goes further/faster/more extreme
    Marathon Plus are good tyres
  • Some people will think you are stupid no matter what distance you cycle commute. Just get started and stick at it.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Some people will think you are stupid no matter what distance you cycle commute. Just get started and stick at it.

+1 to that. Just get out and do it, I do 26 miles each way 4-5 days a week depending upon my race schedule. You'll be amazed how quickly you adapt to it and it's prefectly do-able. In the winter I also supplement my commute with a club run/chain gang 2 nights a week for a nice extended 80-90k commute in the evening so by my estimation you're definately sane
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I do around 20 each way 5 days a week. You soon get used to it. The reactions from people I encounter are a mixture of envy and confusion. Some people just don't understand how cycling around an hour each way a day is far preferable to the gamble of Britain;s roads or public transport network.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    Concur with everyone else :
    Starting with a part cycle option.
    Preparation helps - get bike + gear ready the night before so you aren't searching for that 2nd glove or spare tube as you are trying to leave for work.
    I'd suggest aiming in the mid-term for 2 or 3 days a week so that you have a break between days.
    A decent and well maintained bike is vital, with say 90minutes riding each way ahead of you knowing that it's running fine is at least 1 thing that helps. Also you will need decent lights - probably need to start looking soon, before the shorter days are upon us.
  • Yep you are stupid! - for not starting earlier!

The first go don’t ride fast; allow plenty of time so you don’t have to rush.

Take it easy, plan your route and have all your gear ready the previous night its amazing how much time you can loose looking for gloves or something.

Try doing one day per wk until you feel comfortable and then ride more frequently.
    I do circa 23 each way 3 times per wk. I came the hilly way today an could remember when I first started I was struggling to keep the pedals turning now I cruise up the same hill 3 sprockets from bottom gear. It will get better and then you will not regret it.

Good luck
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Not mad, I am doing the same thing, 21 miles home and when I start it 26 miles to work (can't avoid the one way system).

What i've been doing is taking bike in to work the day before (leaving it at own risk overnight, locked), and riding home the next evening.

This has meant a 2 hour and 3 trains in the morning journey (against 50 mins in car), to get in to work, so now I feel able, am planning some point in next few weeks to try the ride home too.

My husband thinks i'm bonkers, but it means he gets the car for a day (he works from home), and also sees the difference in me when I do the ride - broad grin across face.

Main thing I would say, when doing the full ride, don't mistake hunger pangs too much for dehydration, I did that on the first few runs home and landed up with cramp overnight - this despite having done other sport to a relatively high level previously, doh!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    As others have said, go for it, and build up the amount you do. Good points above about making sure you eat and drink enough too.

I love the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Add me as another nutter, 20 miles each way, 5 days a week.

What's interesting is just how often I contemplate finding a longer way home!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    As noted 25 miles each isn't that odd, amongst "enthusiasts" anyway!

I do around 19 miles each way in all seasons, my advice is have 2 bikes as you'll always have one ready for the road and unexpected failures of parts/flat tyre in the morning won't leave you without your steed until you have it fixed, and invest in good quality gear for winter, both for clothing and lights, when cold and rain can be a life threatening element if you get it wrong and have to stop for a flat, and the morning and evening run will be in the dark.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Reading this thread put me in mind of a rider(can't remember his name) that used to ride from Feltham in Middlesex to the tax office in Worthing West Sussex as a commute, 50+ miles ish........

This was in the late seventies and if I remember correctly, to put it into context the guy was Best British All Rounder, that is taking into account his best times for a 25, 50, 100 and 12hour time trials.

He probably went out traing when he got home :shock:
    Aim High
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    Can I hijack...?

Question to all those who commute over 20miles each way asprilla/ipete/sanchez etc...

i am going from a 10 mile each way to 25- hilly from the chilterns to London, thinking a bag on the back wont be a good idea...

what set-up do you use, full on rack and panniers, rack bag? saddle bag recommendations? will need to carry shirt/undies/trousers. towel and shoes in office....

thanks!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    flamite see my post on the previous page about some tactics for the longer commute.