Carrera Vulcan rides brilliantly after upgrades!

2»

Comments

• Well I'm free friday morning/ afternoon and saturday morning if you want a ride out anywhere.

I can do next saturday morning if your free?
  • Bike rides great after fitting decent parts. Who'd have thought it :)

Sounds like the scenario where people spend thousands on a Saxo or Corsa to make it faster and better when they could have just bought a better car in the first place.

I'd never buy a complete bike now, custom build all the way (even build the wheels).
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    How local does Atherton sound :wink: There are 3 of us go up doing some digging here and there with some riding, dug two new runs out tonight that are quite fun so far but should be great once they are bedded in :D Although the big dropoff isn't as good yet but we'll have a play to try and sort it.

Your more than welcome to join us one night or weekend as even though it's pretty limited as far as space goes we've built/cut enough runs to really help with confidence and skills.

Sounds good, let me know some times your there :)
  • Owdo, im in Bolton too :D
    Is Hag Fold down Atherton way?
    Papa? Nicole
  • mintedox wrote:
    Owdo, im in Bolton too :D
    Is Hag Fold down Atherton way?

Yeah it's a council estate in Atherton, hopefully the weather will hold up this week so i can get out onto the rucks. If you fancy it i'll post it on here what days we're planning on going up.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Yeah cool i will come and have a nosey one night. could you give us some rough directions too?
    Papa? Nicole
  • jayson wrote:
    The vulcan can be upgraded nicely, before it was nicked (too much shiney stuff maybe?) i fitted XT gears and brakes with 203mm rotors, slux hubs with mavic en521 rims, panaracer fire xc tires, rockshox tora SL forks and lots of other small bits and pieces to make it my own. In the end theonly original parts were the frame and stem/bars.

It wasn't until i took things off like the forks that you realise just how heavy some of the cheap kit actually is, they must have been about a good pound and a half heavier and yet they were both coil sprung forks.

I loved my vulcan when i had it, it never once let me down and would go over (through) anything i could throw at it with ease thanks to its being heavier than my usual bikes.

Ride and enjoy yours asmuch as i did mine :D

Yeah same here it rides great now and i dont think i need to change anything else, its light and i can throw it through most things, i keep the components clean and lubed after every ride and its nice and smooth for the next ride.
  • mintedox wrote:
    Yeah cool i will come and have a nosey one night. could you give us some rough directions too?

We'll be heading up on friday night after work for an hour or so if the weather holds up (although my mate was up there last night and said was very muddy) we try to get up for about 7ish, where we ride is just off Spa Road but although easy to find i'd say your better off going with someone who knows it as one of the mates just ended up hitting the same jump over and over and got bored pretty quick where we have a 5 or so minute loop. It's nothing special but is good for learning how to position your bike for the drops and building confidence etc. Hopefully i'll be testing my new headcam aswell so should make it a little more fun. If you want we can meet you at Atherton train station and take it from there.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?