Carrera Vulcan rides brilliantly after upgrades!

anditsinthere
anditsinthere Posts: 210
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Got to say i have been on a few rides in the last couple of weeks now and my bike after the upgrades i have made is as sweet as a nut! Smooth, comfortable and very lightweight compared to the it's original state and performance is excellent........

Upgrades are as follows

Tyres-Maxxis High Rollers 2.35
Pedals-Wellgo MG1 Magnesium
Fork-Rock Shox Tora 302 Solo Air 130mm
Grips-Superstar Supergripa with bolt ends
Seat-Charge Spoon (Limited Edition)
Brakes-Formula Oro K18's 160mm rotors
Shifters-Sram X9
Front Mech-Sram X7
Chain-Sram PC991
Cassette-Sram PG980 11-32
QR Skewers-Shimano Deore M510

Comments

• How does it handle the 130 mm fork. I have the 100 mm Tora SL and i find it fantastic :) Get some pics up.
  • The Tora is outstanding the travel is great and the rebound adjuster makes it worthwhile on rocky decents, no pogo stick unlike the awful suntour!

I will get some pics up soon, what do you ride pal??
  • Carrera Vulcan like yourself!

Mountainbike003.jpg

Have come out for a ride round Rivi
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    not a bad way to spend your money XD
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    so how much did all the upgrades end up costing for u
    and i agree pics needed

btw bwfc4eva868 if thats your riding position on that bike if u wanna improve your bike or are going to u can get away with a miles smaller frame (lighter and more agile) :) idk situation or anything just trying to help
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68

How easy is Rivi for a beginner? I've walked up there a few times, always thought it looked a bit rough for riding. I'm in Hindley, so not far off.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • i have spent around £450 on the upgrades, seems very responsive and i get so much enjoyment out of riding it, it seems money well spent.....just got some Shimano Deore QR skewers to add to the collection.
  • jon1993 wrote:
    so how much did all the upgrades end up costing for u
    and i agree pics needed

btw bwfc4eva868 if thats your riding position on that bike if u wanna improve your bike or are going to u can get away with a miles smaller frame (lighter and more agile) :) idk situation or anything just trying to help

Thats my next step, a slacker frame like a On One 456 :)
  • jon1993
    sounds good to me :D
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    funkyg wrote:

How easy is Rivi for a beginner? I've walked up there a few times, always thought it looked a bit rough for riding. I'm in Hindley, so not far off.

Its good if you don't mind a climb. There are technical bits but mostly there's an easier line and it quickly builds your skills. Drop me a line if you want to be shown roun, I'm in Westhoughton :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've still got my Kraken in the garage built up with some nicer stuff, people say "Why don't you get a better frame for that" but it rides lovely, can't see any reason why I would.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jon1993
    ive got a kraken and i loved it 2 - completely standard other than spds and gone through numerous tyres, bottom brackets, head sets, drivetrains and now the wheels have packed in since they dont have sealed bearings haha new boardman pro for me this week, then again i cant complain i rode it on black routes weekly and offroad every other day clocking up 11,000miles mostly offroad, lasted better that the specialized FSR pro i have lol
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I love my Vulcan to bits, its really responsive and lightweight....people have said you are mad spending that much on it but i don't really care, i have now got it to the standard i wanted it and it's perfect :lol:
  • jon1993
    If your happy with it that's all that matters people have a thing about these bikes being not great but its the best bike ive ever had and i ride it over some of the other bikes I have worth 4/5x what my carrera is worth but let's face it there amazing bikes :)
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Jon1993 you are right it rides like a dream, i have spent well over what i paid for it but who cares, i love riding it , just after a second set of tyres now for the winter months, i have High Rollers at the minute i don't know wether these are good enough for winter/muddy conditions
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends on your mud really... Like, around here there's plenty of places where highrollers and similiar don't cope, but, those are mostly places that I just wouldn't ride in winter anyway as they get so trashed, I mostly choose routes for the conditions. And small parts of bad mud I just deal with. But not everyone has that luxury obviously.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I don't like High Rollers in the mud as they just get clogged and the bike feels really skittish. However on trail centre surfaces wet or dry or the gravelly stuff up rivi they are brilliant.
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Bloody hell this place just started to feel very local, you've got BWFC in Bolton (will sort a ride soon mate) one in Howfen and another in Ingly, i'm in Leigh but my local riding spot is Hag Fold Rucks if you fancy it one day? We normally head up on a friday night ending in a couple of beers, me and a couple of mates have been building different lines for a few months now that are suitable for everyone with berms, drop off's, jumps etc that even though are only short are good to get you skill levels up. Should be heading up next week doing some digging as i've no bike atm as the rear wheel is buggered and is in france :( got a few ideas for a section with a berm built into a drop off so a good rider could jump another rider who's hitting a berm which would look great on camera, we've also been toying with the idea of building a bit of north shore but i don't think it'd last long with the kids knocking around there :(
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Muttly1981 wrote:
    Bloody hell this place just started to feel very local, you've got BWFC in Bolton (will sort a ride soon mate) one in Howfen and another in Ingly, i'm in Leigh but my local riding spot is Hag Fold Rucks if you fancy it one day? We normally head up on a friday night ending in a couple of beers, me and a couple of mates have been building different lines for a few months now that are suitable for everyone with berms, drop off's, jumps etc that even though are only short are good to get you skill levels up. Should be heading up next week doing some digging as i've no bike atm as the rear wheel is buggered and is in france :( got a few ideas for a section with a berm built into a drop off so a good rider could jump another rider who's hitting a berm which would look great on camera, we've also been toying with the idea of building a bit of north shore but i don't think it'd last long with the kids knocking around there :(

AHEMMMM!!!!!!! Don't forget me in Tyldesley :D

Why don't we try organise a meet up?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Should organise a proper Northern ride out.
  • trebor127
    trebor127 Posts: 246
    I'd be up for that :lol::lol: Just aslong as you rode slowly haha
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    AHEMMMM!!!!!!! Don't forget me in Tyldesley :D

Why don't we try organise a meet up?

And me in Astley :)
  • Someone pick a venue and a date. Ill have book the day off work 6 years in advance. Cant do september tho im on me jolly.
  • Can it be mid week or will everyone need a weekend ride?
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Muttly1981
    Can it be mid week or will everyone need a weekend ride?

Only got 2 days holiday left so going to need to save them for one last big weekend away, Can do local in the week but with the nights drawing in it'll get harder to arrange.

Got my wheel back from Mavic the other day so that's all good to go but managed a grade 2 (just) torn calf muscle playing football two weeks ago but should be ok in the next 7 days or so as the brusing is now going.

Been doing some digging in the last week on two drop offs that should be ready to ride after this weekend. the first is a 2ft drop off onto a downslope which is a fantastic learning drop (my mates 10 year old is hitting it regular now) but the drop we've almost finished building looks to be a monster with lots of roots on a steep drop in then a 5ft drop onto a downslope around 6ft out with a plan to build a tabletop jump at the bottom :D
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Well I'm free friday morning/ afternoon and saturday morning if you want a ride out anywhere.
  • I saw the Kraken in Halfords for the first time in the flesh about 2 months ago and I was very impressed, for the price I think it will be impossible to beat, something like £350 in the sale!!! ...Great value

Those upgrades sound perfect for the bike... How are you finding the K18s? I've got them for my Carbon456 (waiting for frame to be delivered)....
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    The vulcan can be upgraded nicely, before it was nicked (too much shiney stuff maybe?) i fitted XT gears and brakes with 203mm rotors, slux hubs with mavic en521 rims, panaracer fire xc tires, rockshox tora SL forks and lots of other small bits and pieces to make it my own. In the end theonly original parts were the frame and stem/bars.

It wasn't until i took things off like the forks that you realise just how heavy some of the cheap kit actually is, they must have been about a good pound and a half heavier and yet they were both coil sprung forks.

I loved my vulcan when i had it, it never once let me down and would go over (through) anything i could throw at it with ease thanks to its being heavier than my usual bikes.

Ride and enjoy yours asmuch as i did mine :D
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    Been doing some digging in the last week on two drop offs that should be ready to ride after this weekend. the first is a 2ft drop off onto a downslope which is a fantastic learning drop (my mates 10 year old is hitting it regular now) but the drop we've almost finished building looks to be a monster with lots of roots on a steep drop in then a 5ft drop onto a downslope around 6ft out with a plan to build a tabletop jump at the bottom :D

Liking the sound of that, I need to practise my jumping :shock: How local is it, could help out with the digging too :)
  • Muttly1981
    DodgeT wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:

Liking the sound of that, I need to practise my jumping :shock: How local is it, could help out with the digging too :)

How local does Atherton sound :wink: There are 3 of us go up doing some digging here and there with some riding, dug two new runs out tonight that are quite fun so far but should be great once they are bedded in :D Although the big dropoff isn't as good yet but we'll have a play to try and sort it.

Your more than welcome to join us one night or weekend as even though it's pretty limited as far as space goes we've built/cut enough runs to really help with confidence and skills.