Real-time ant+ data to PC?

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
Hi,

I want to get real-time stats to my PC from my ant+ device (Powertap hub). In this way I'd be able to display power, cadence etc on my PC's monitor and show it over time in graphical form.

Does such a thing exist? I can do similar from my Tacx device but the power output is inaccurate and the software is rubbish.

The question is not: why do I want to do this? It's: can I do it?

Cheers,
Andy

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The development builds of Golden Cheetah (v3) can do this.

Download here
    More problems but still living....
  • AndyRubio
    Great!! Thanks.

I wonder if I can use a Garmin Ant+ usb device on this? Ah well, I shall read the docs.

Thanks again.

:D
  • amaferanga
    Yes it'll work with the Garmin ANT+ stick. I had this working earlier in the year and it was fairly painless (unlike previous editions of GC which needed a virtual machine to run the realtime stuff in Windows).
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    On windows it will work with both the old garmin usb1 stick and usb2 stick. On Linux and Mac it only works with the older usb1 stick.

But most folks seem to be on windows anyway :)
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • AndyRubio
    Woo hoo! I got it to work, here's what I did:

I got an ANT+ USB stick from Garmin, it says USB2 in tiny letters on the case. I stuck it into my Windows Vista (grrrr) laptop and the driver was installed:

vuMLd.jpg

Next, I downloaded v3 of Golden Cheetah, the build date was 11 August 2011.

Launched Golden Cheetah, selected Tools > Options > Devices, then created a basic ANT+ profile:

G2M9c.jpg

Don't forget to Save!

OK ready. In Golden Cheetah, I clicked on the 'Train' icon:

yQ6Kt.jpg

Then I selected the Chart Settings tab, clicked 'Start' (actually I clicked it twice) and lo! and behold! I got some real-time data from my Powertap on screen:

FZbkK.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Andy
  • amaferanga
    That really is a terrible display for the realtime stuff in the latest build!
  • AndyRubio
    It could be nicer, true, but the fact that it works and does what I need is great.
  • amaferanga
    Glad you got it sorted. I'll probably use it through the winter instead of my Garmin - it's nice to see kJ and Bikescore 'live' and the Workout Library should come in handy.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Nice one. I have been following with interest!
    Presumably you can still record on a garmin at the same time in order to download to WKO if wanted?
  • liversedge
    amaferanga wrote:
    Yes, sorry bout that. The configurable layouts are a bit at odds with realtime. It will get fixed.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • amaferanga
    liversedge wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Yes, sorry bout that. The configurable layouts are a bit at odds with realtime. It will get fixed.

Sorry for being so blunt. I'm finding v3 a bit frustrating - its so nearly brilliant, but the crashing when you add charts (still happens for me even with the latest build) and the issues I've had with rides being set to zero (which I think doesn't happen anymore now that I've started importing .fit instead of .tcx into GC) have been frustrating. I still really appreciate the work you guys have put into it!
  • liversedge
    amaferanga wrote:
    liversedge wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Sorry for being so blunt. I'm finding v3 a bit frustrating - its so nearly brilliant, but the crashing when you add charts (still happens for me even with the latest build) and the issues I've had with rides being set to zero (which I think doesn't happen anymore now that I've started importing .fit instead of .tcx into GC) have been frustrating. I still really appreciate the work you guys have put into it!

Blunt is fine (but then in this case I agree with you anyway. haha.). It *is* a development release remember!!! formal release won't happen till next year now.

"Nearly Brilliant" .. spot on. Hopefully we'll get there.
    --
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Will have to give this a try again. Can you confirm if you left the garmin ant agent installed or did you remove it and the garmin drivers?
  • AndyRubio
    I've still got the Garmin Ant Agent installed but it's not running.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    AndyRubio wrote:
    I've still got the Garmin Ant Agent installed but it's not running.

Thanks. Will have to give it a go again now. Supposed to be nice here tomorrow so will probably head out instead.