where should i get my wheels built

2»

Comments

• I'm learning stuff here - thanks guys.

So how long does it take a competent builder to assemble a wheel?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    mudcow007 wrote:
    they are for the same bike an yes they are different rims, one is disc specific an the other has a brake surface (for v's)

the bike is going to be used for chucking up an down hills in deepest darkest Waleshire

i chose them rims as they are suppose to be quite tough.

i always use to use D521 rims but they dont make them anymore

building is a fine art, which with my fists of ham would be pointless to attempt as i know i would "taco" a rim. im told front wheels are easier than rears as with a rear you have to "dish" the wheel to offset for the cassette an stuff......its dark arts to me

I can confirm that XM719s are pretty tough - I'm quite a lump and they've served me well for a few years.

They do come in disc and non-disc though - why not just get a 'nearly' matching pair?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The thing I don't get with wheel building is how do you know which spoke to put in which hole?

Is there like a certain angle they're meant to be at or something?

There's a set order you do them in. If you follow the order, it's easy. For a standard three-cross wheel, you do all the forward facing ones on one side, all the forward-facing ones on the other side, twist the hub then put in the backwards facing ones. The backwards-facing ones cross three forwards facing spokes, over, over then under. Really there's nothing to it.

The only difficult bit is buying the right spokes, but then the bloke from Spa knew the right lengths off the top of his head. Buy the book I linked to, it's very good indeed.

Yup. I have an old buff covered book from the seventies with lots of hand drawn illustrations called, wait for it, "How to build bicycle wheels". Brilliant stuff.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I'm learning stuff here - thanks guys.

So how long does it take a competent builder to assemble a wheel?

I'm far from competent, but it only takes m a couple of hours. The employees at pro-lite are given six months training, then expected to knock out 60 a day.