Can you fart when cycling.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
On the subject of farting:

I can't fart when cycling.

I think it's due to the crunched position of my stomach but it's something that I find nigh impossible to do. If I do manage to squeeze it's a struggle and not a real fart. When I get home it's quite normal to let one go as though it's been building from work to home just waiting to piss Mrs DDD off.

Is this (not being able to fart why cycling) unusual? Has anyone else encountered this?

What other bodily things have you noticed that you can't whilst cycling?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Haha best thread ever (yet to read the Inappropriate erection thread)

This is true. :P
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nothing applicable here.

It must be a Friday afternoon! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I wouldn't risk it.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I can and do fart on the bike. Running makes me fart too.

Can't remember getting a stiffy on a bike...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I can only fart when out of the saddle. I like to use it as an extra boost, it also discourages drafting.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Not with any confidence
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Not just me then... I've needed to hear that (and wanted to ask) since 2009 but was too afraid...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I find I cant stop trumping after a ride
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I can, but have to stop pedaling (coast), and tilt my arse sideways slightly.

The finer points of farting on a bicycle - the wonders of the internet!
  • Raise out of saddle, fart, lower. Always happens after 30 seconds in the saddle every morning. Don't think the neighbours notice.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stand on pedals
    Push
    Flatulate
    Sit down
    Simples

Mind you, my veggie diet does tend to produce a greater fart to weight ratio so there's no holding back most of the time
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Stand on pedals
    Push
    Flatulate
    Sit down
    Simples

Mind you, my veggie diet does tend to produce a greater fart to weight ratio so there's no holding back most of the time

Your riding partner really does have an incentive to get back to his previous level of fitness then...
  • Not saying I have a flatuance problem, but I have been confused with a 2-stroke moped and use odour eaters as chamois pads.

Strangely I'm rarely drafted for long. :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Every year on my training camp in Mallorca there is one mate who thinks it's hilarious to let rip when we are in tight formation doing through and off, bit and bit, chain gaing, call it what you will. There is nothing worse than being behind him when it happens, 2 foott away from his ar*e, down wind and usually gasping for breath trying to keep up.

Through and off, more like follow through really.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    What other bodily functions can one not do on a bicycle??? What???

All I wish to do is pant a bit and achieve that seemingly without effort.

Oh, and now and then take a sip from my patented in-frame water holder...
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Even worse when running, 4 or 5 small trumps in tune with my stride. Happens to most in my club actually, exept the ladies...I think they drop back to let rip then catch up.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you look very closely, you can see the effects of a cycle fart on a GPS data download......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Even worse when running, 4 or 5 small trumps in tune with my stride. Happens to most in my club actually, exept the ladies...I think they drop back to let rip then catch up.

I never risk it when running.

When cycling it's easy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can't fart when cycling.

Is this a physical (my buns are too tight), or a mental (embarassment) thing?

If the latter, perhaps you could get an airzound to provide cover (like whistling in a public loo?)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I tend to when standing up on the pedals on my cruise down my home street. Lots too, I figure the pedalling action must suck air up the wrong end.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    It's noticeably more difficult when riding fixed.
  • I

Trust me, you'd remember.
  • _Brun_ wrote:

I wonder if you can do it on a hybrid? Perhaps there is a correlation between ease of release and whether you ride dropped, hybrid, mountain or fixed. Must be easy on a bent, just like sitting on the sofa watching telly.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    _Brun_ wrote:

and even more socially unacceptable on a tandem
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    You can't fart on a hybrid without following through. That's one more reason they're wrong.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I don't seem to fart while cycling, instead my body tends to save it up ready for when I get off my back when I get home...the garage has now become a 'sterile area' in which I can let one go before I go into the house. :shock: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NGale wrote:
    I don't seem to fart while cycling, instead my body tends to save it up ready for when I get off my back when I get home...the garage has now become a 'sterile area' in which I can let one go before I go into the house. :shock: :lol:

Look, just stop it. Stop it now. It is fine for blokes to talk about farting. It is not OK for burds to join in*. OK? :lol:

* unless to express horror that such things as farts exist!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NGale
    Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Look, just stop it. Stop it now. It is fine for blokes to talk about farting. It is not OK for burds to join in*. OK? :lol:

:lol:

Unfortunately with my digestive problem the after effects are an inevitable part of the problem :lol:

Anyway us burds fart as well, we just don't leave a toxic smell unlike you blokes who seem to think it's the done thing to turn your guts inside out. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    NGale wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Unfortunately with my digestive problem the after effects are an inevitable part of the problem :lol:

Anyway us burds fart as well, we just don't leave a toxic smell unlike you blokes who seem to think it's the done thing to turn your guts inside out. :lol:

Yeah right.

My ex-wife could strip wallpaper at 50 paces with the gases that came out of her arse.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Yeah right.

My ex-wife could strip wallpaper at 50 paces with the gases that came out of her ars*.

Hence why she is an ex and most likely possibly post op :roll: :lol: