Dogma CDE Replica

Chaoswill
Chaoswill Posts: 12
edited April 2013 in Your road bikes
Needed a new bike for Triathlons after 2 years on a '78 vintage Raleigh.

Studied form guides for ages and (with a target of £1K) finally decided to build my own Ebay special.
Sum total - A fraction over the target price, 7.75Kg (a little over target weight) and the only 2nd hand parts are the shifters and rear mech.

I appreciate the cheap replica frame may not be to everyones liking (and it WAS a risk), but the quality is fantastic and my local Pinarello dealer didn't spot it when I dropped in last week.

Spec:

Pinarello Dogma CDE Replica F&F
50mm Carbon Clincher wheelset
Raceface Chain Set
Campag Volace 10 Sp
Bontager brakes

6008344781_d9b95b6032_z.jpg

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Picture?

I hear the givaway is the seat post.
  • Yep. Seatpost is round with clamp Front Mech. Should be oval with braze-on Front Mech.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    It looks great. It's time for a blogger to do a back-to-back Chinarello to Pinarello test drive and report in detail. I must say I'm tempted.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • If someone's willing to lend me their original Dogma I'm more than happy to report back :)
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Certainly looks the part. :shock:
  • FransJacques
    edited August 2011
    Did you do a decal to decal comparison? There are surely enough pix on cyclingnews of pro bikes. What is the vertical word on the fork crown? My old eyes can't see it well.

Also, what is the front wheel? The front hub flanges look a bit un-Campy...

It's a real beaut overall.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Picture?

I hear the givaway is the seat post.

And the shape of the rest of the frame and the paintwork and decals. Very obvious when you look at them side by side. Pretty convincing when you don't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    edited August 2011
    I appreciate the cheap replica frame may not be to everyones liking (and it WAS a risk), but the quality is fantastic and my local Pinarello dealer didn't spot it when I dropped in last week.
    How come your local dealer did not spot it?it stands out a mile.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    ew, a bogey coloured bike with a 3 inch seat post
  • ashley7
    ashley7 Posts: 27
    JRooke wrote:
    I would rather ride that than that cheap fake s**t, also that seat post looks about 5 inch plus,where do you get 3 inches from? oh i bet its when you have your c**k in your hand :lol:
    I own a dogma to,a real one.
    By all means buy cheap s**t but dont label it as pinarello and campagnolo bora as its an insult.
    I bet you are one of these guys that buy cheap s**t to.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    ashley7 wrote:
    JRooke wrote:
    I would rather ride that than that cheap fake s**t, also that seat post looks about 5 inch plus,where do you get 3 inches from? oh i bet its when you have your c**k in your hand :lol:
    By all means buy cheap s**t but dont label it as pinarello and campagnolo bora as its an insult.
    Hmm, I think someone missed the humour in that last post... :roll:
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    @ashley7

Lets see it then! Your Dogma that is
  • Mr752
    Mr752 Posts: 33
    Once again another Chinarello! It isnt a Pinarello and it isnt a Dogma or a Prince. By all means buy it but have the decency to leave the decals off it. Ask for them to decal it as a CarbonZone or a Dengfu or what ever else they call themselves.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    This is what happens when you sell a brand instead of a product.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Good job on the shopping and the decals.

This stigma with frames from the far east i don't get it.

Pinarello frames are made in China aren't they ? Using the same Toray carbon as the supposed "cheap sh*t" frames.

The op can label it how he likes if your insulted by that then life isn't too bad for you is it :wink:
  • Kona21
    Kona21 Posts: 107
    ashley7 wrote:
    JRooke wrote:

Jesus, its only a push bike with some stickers on :roll: .... And to be fair its really quite nice.
    Opera Super Leonardo
    Campag Super Record 11
    Corima Aero + wheels
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12777242
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    wow......

I think many people buy 'cheap s**t' or second hand, as most people dont have the money to invest in overpriced equipment

as Kona21 says 'its only a push bike with some stickers on' :roll:
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    Buying cheap is fine. But why pretend it's something it's not?
  • rolf_f
    Trouble with the fakes though is no matter what people might think of them, they will end up being sold as the real thing. Of course, buyer beware and all that but it is a pity that these things are being allowed to get into the market in the first place. It should be cracked down on.
  • FransJacques
    Rolf F wrote:
    Trouble with the fakes though is no matter what people might think of them, they will end up being sold as the real thing. Of course, buyer beware and all that but it is a pity that these things are being allowed to get into the market in the first place. It should be cracked down on.
    What's the downside? Some fat b will get off his butt and ride? Some guy who's not learned the meaning of "too good to be true" will learn a lesson but will still be left with a nice carbon bike to ride? Sorry, don't see much downside.

Now if I was buying a parachute or an exocet missile, it'd be different.
  • rolf_f
    What's the downside? Some fat b will get off his butt and ride? Some guy who's not learned the meaning of "too good to be true" will learn a lesson but will still be left with a nice carbon bike to ride? Sorry, don't see much downside.

Now if I was buying a parachute or an exocet missile, it'd be different.

Who says the deal would be 'too good to be true'? And any of your advantages apply equally to non fakes. Still, if you don't mind if what you buy is fake or the real thing then it doesn't matter. At least for now the Chinarellos are only superficial copies but they will get better.
  • the problem with chinerellos is it makes us suckers who own real dogmas feel stupid for spending £7k+ on a push bike with fancy stickers on....

nice bike.
  • FransJacques
    A Google employee who wasn't a fan of marketing said it best:

"Brand is what you fall back on when your products stop moving forward"

How long till we see a Dogma 2 clone?

In the 80s there were tons of Apple II+ and IBM PC clones. They computed fine and people bought them in droves. They weren't swayed by brand. They were convinced by a product, a tool.
  • markyone
    JRooke wrote:
    The seat post is right for me and its about 6 inch,whatever you think of the colour is your opinion, but it sure rides amazing and its real. :D
    Just out of interest what do you ride?
  • markyone
    the problem with chinerellos is it makes us suckers who own real dogmas feel stupid for spending £7k+ on a push bike with fancy stickers on....

nice bike.

+1
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I like it 8)

It's much better than my bike, a genuine Trek 1.1 :lol:

Seriously though, it looks really good,
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Well, I like the bike. I personally wouldn't label something up as something it isn't but that's your choice. If the OP tries to sell it as a genuine for much more than it's worth then that's another matter. Other than that, enjoy the bike if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Look,s great i,m sure you are very happy with it. I also have one and i,m very happy with mine too.If anyone asks me about the frame i just tell them what it is and where they can buy it. Believe me, i,ve had several people asking about it since i got it built two weeks ago. I think we are going to see a lot more of these type of frames in the future which, of course will have an effect on the genuine retailer. The Dutch cycling forum has banned the topic of replica chinese frames now as they don,t want to encourage them. Wonder if at some point down the line that happens with BR also.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    edited August 2011
    I prefer fake*

*breasts.
  • Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    I would never be able to feel satisfied. It may look nearly as nice as a real Pinarello, but the experience of buying and enjoying the bike is lost, you could never show it off with genuine pride. Also it would never last aslong as a real friend with no one to turn to if things went wrong, its sale price being nothing (unless sold to an unsuspecting buyer.)
    For these reasons as nice as it looks I just dont feel the same level of enjoyment and security could be felt on a copy such as that?
    Still looks lovely for the money though!