New to racing - need avg speed ideas

2»

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Do you ever get on the front? What if you were in a break of say 6 riders - would you work or would you just try to sit on the back and save yourself for the final 100m gallop?

Bike racing is a funny sport because unless you are exceptionally strong you need to co-operate with those you want to beat in order to win. I'd be much more likely to co-operate with someone who is obviously a grafter than someone who sits mid-bunch for the whole race.

I can only speak for myself obviously, but I've had a much bigger sense of achievement from races where I've done well after getting in a break and giving everything I could to stay away than races where I've been in the bunch all race and come through for a decent finish in the sprint.
    More problems but still living....
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    personally, not that i am racing at the moment, I get on the front when I need to, when attacks need covering, etc...). I am not strong enough to go in the break for most of the races I do (I have tried a few times). If I did get in a break that I realistically thought I could stay with of course I would work, but that is a different matter.

would you rather ride in the wind for the majority of the race then come no where or would you rather win in the sprint?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Not sure youcan compare pro tour sprints to a 3/4 crit !!
    Anyway if someone sprints and wins a 3/4 race a couple of times they will soon move up to 2nd cat and if not fit enough will get theire ars* ripped out :D
    Hammerite, if there is no point in sniffing the wind in a race for no reason and everyone thought the same, it would end up 15mph with a sprint at the end, in which case why have a 1hour plus 5 laps race, just make it 5 laps right ?

It wouldn't end up 15mph with a sprint at the end though. It's a race, use whatever tactics you see fit and play to your strengths. If there are no breaks or anyone in front of the pack why would I want to tow everyone at 25+mph working my backside off? Why not slow the race down? Force an attack? Or prepare to attack myself?

Sitting on the front keeping the pace high just means everyone else will follow.

I'd much rather be fresh and take the wind when in an attack, or need to help chase an attack.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    maybe i did not make my point clear enough. I am not advocating you go on the front in a head wind and do 25mph for 10 miles, i am just saying riders should contribute to setting pace even if for a short period. This can help your fitness also as you have to recover back in the bunch after your turn, you will not simulate this in training. All we are saying is there are many many riders who race negative, they sit in bunch, never go to frint, never attack and some wont even work to pull a break back.
    I have been in one or two races this year where it was ridicolously slow as no one would go to the front, speed was below 22mph.
    Put these guys in a points race on the track and see how good they can sprint :-)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    carbon337 wrote:
    but what kind of average speeds are you talking for say top half finishes?.

21 - 25 mph typically for a 4 or 3/4 - you will find that races often have the same pattern every lap though (unless you are capable of doing breaks..) - ie - everyone will be doing say ~ 18/20 mph into the headwind part of the lap, similarly everyone will be doing ~ 28/30 mph in the tailwind part - and this situation will go on lap after lap after lap.