Where did you meet your riding buddies?

BigLee1
BigLee1 Posts: 449
edited August 2011 in MTB general
It seems that there is lots of folk out there who want to ride with other people but because of family /work commitments struggle for getting out for the weekend rides, myself included, can`t seem to find riding buddies.
Is it because a perceived lack of fitness/skills are stopping riders meeting up with people? Or is it because no one you know rides mtbs?

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Funnily enough, Here
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Most of my current riding buddies are bikeradar bred. There's others, but the benefit of br friends is there's a sufficient volume of them that someone's always riding. Negates the organisational headaches.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ones my best mate, the others I met online
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Alcoholics Anonymous
  • i havent yet :cry:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    toastedone wrote:
    Funnily enough, Here

yeah, there's a few guys who i ride with that i've known for ages but mostly on here in the routes or rides section :D
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    i met some guys on here once, defo meet them again and then i have a few guys from work

need to get out and meet more people though, always good to have new route buddies
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Some through my local cycler club and LBS. The rest I've met as they were friends of a guy I met at work 5 years ago. It's surprising how quickly the groups grow. And you meet some fascinating characters which makes going riding with them all the more fun.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mostly on here. Met loads of people, very varied ages, skills etc, all have one thing in common. Good fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Generally ride by myself, occasionally go with a friend i went to school with, and occasionally go with some other friends who I used to be on a sports team with.

Love riding by myself, but nothing beats jumping in with guys who are constantly pushing, and chasing each other, even on the most boring routes it can make it so much more fun.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dodgy folk I met in the woods.
  • Anonymous
    I generally ride by myself. Occasionally I pick up a group of stray weirdos to ride with, but then it dawns on me after a few months that people are just unreliable, so I just ignore them and head out on my own again.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    One is engaged to my cousin,
    One is a mate who I used to go fishing with but we both packed it in when we had kids as it used to take up too much of our time,
    The third is a mate who I work with, he was telling me last October that he'd bought an MTB, I said that we're going to the Marin trail in 2 weeks, he came along and enjoyed it so much that we ride somewhere most weekends.
  • Anonymous
    davewalsh wrote:
    One is engaged to my cousin.
    One is quite surprised to hear of someone discussing their taboo relationship status so openly.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    davewalsh wrote:
    One is engaged to my cousin.
    One is quite surprised to hear of someone discussing their taboo relationship status so openly.
    I also ride a pair of Inbreds, What does that say about me ;-)
  • doggegg
    doggegg Posts: 61
    Lifelong mate who I introduced to biking....there's nobody else where I live! And I am kinda LMAO at the last comment btw ;-)
  • My 2 mates I ride with haave been friends since school(long time ago!), out of that one of them lived next door to me since we were born. Ive always cycled in one form or another, and they kind of grew into it in thier mid twenties. We also get out or our motorbikes together and usually try to get a holiday each winter snowboarding in the alps etc. Kind of handy we like the same things!
    Another couple of friends that join us are met through work/moto x and other friends.
    And as a bonus the other half enjoys using her cube ams when shes not pregnant!!lol
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I created all of mine :)

They werre all buddies before hand.. i started MTBing when i moved to the countryside... the rest as tehy say is history.. we all now ride.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Where did you meet your riding buddies?
    What riding buddies?
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I met loads at my cyclnig club and others I've just met at my local DH track and have been meeting up since.
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    I have met people to ride with on here.

Got a couple of friends in the real world who are into it.

I joined a local MTB club.

Result, people to ride with whenever I please :D
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    MTB clubs are a good idea but considering I live in Cumbria on the west coast there isn`t any I know of round here, mabe its the lack of good areas to ride :wink::lol:
  • Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    I set up something by posting on the intranet at work
    Got limited response initially but have a few people together. Every now and again someone else will reply to it and we try to organise a ride somewhere.
    But yes, sometimes hard to get out due to other commitments

It's good to establish at the start what kind of fitness and ability level you all are as well as the sort of riding you want to do. otherwise you may end upwith people not fully understanding that "off road" means over and down a great big bloody mountain, not around a local park.
  • Anonymous
    deadkenny wrote:
    Dodgy folk I met in the woods.
    Seriously though ;)...

MTB Rides on this forum in the main. Works great. Post up who's going where and when, meet up and ride. Simple.
  • Anonymous
    that's cause you smell hilarious though.
    In case you're wondering, that's 3 and a half steps beyond "smelling funny".
  • I generally ride by myself. Occasionally I pick up a group of stray weirdos to ride with, but then it dawns on me after a few months that people are just unreliable, so I just ignore them and head out on my own again.
    agree, only think I am one of the weirdos that eventually gets dropped...
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • Anonymous
    Have you ever lived in or near North Wales? If not, then you're no weirdo of mine.
  • that's cause you smell hilarious though.
    In case you're wondering, that's 3 and a half steps beyond "smelling funny".
    Would that be nearer..or farther?
    No never even been to Wales...one is tempted to ask "why would I with the 7 Stanes and Kielder so near"?
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • I ride alone mainly too. Know a lass who infrequently wants to but then brings her Ipod and listens to tunes the whole time, and is frankly too slow for the pace I want be it MTB or road(she's a cheeky git!). The local CC's (formal and informal)don't suit because they'd be out by the time I got home with their midweek rides cos of the spaz commute and hours I do.
    Yep, so all in all it's just a lot less hassle to just go alone when it suits me. Even winter night rides in the forests up here...just don't crash! (and wear a dogtag!) :wink: