The GIMP from Pulp Fiction
    David Carradine

MTB
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Lesbians

Hybrid
    Carol Vorderman
    My Mum
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    MTB
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Lesbians

Am I to assume these aren't the mythical 'Hot' lesbians?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg T wrote:
    MTB
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Lesbians

Am I to assume these aren't the mythical 'Hot' lesbians?

Lesbians have excellent PR . . . .

You think "hot" you get "hod" - carrier.

• So, wait. You're suggesting that the OP should go out this weekend and advise his girlfriend to buy a road bike, whilst he has to ride around on an "Old '90s Marin" for the next couple of months?

Firstly, there's the issue that she'll start to scalp him like a two-day old kitten whenever they go out together - not good for any chap. But also, before the two months are up, she's going to develop the urges that he can't satisfy. Seeing all the sleek, roadie men who swish past her once impressive boyfriend would be too much for the poor girl. Added to which, she has, by virtue of being on a road bike, just become hot as hell.

You could be ruining the poor chap's whole life!
  • Somehow I get the impression that I am being steered towards drop bars, but I can't quite put my finger on how... ;p My experience of that type of bike is very limited - but I do strongly feel based on my bike experience thus far that I'd be happiest with a more upright riding position and wider, straight(ish) bars.

But it is true. I bought a hybrid to start commuting to work and at the time it was the right thing to do. I hadn't cycled much in years and I'd never been on a road bike so my hybrid got me used to cycling again and comfortable in traffic. Friends tried to get me to consider a road bike then but I was pretty sure that it wasn't for me - it was too twitchy and position too aggressive.

I bought a road bike this year. Within a few days of riding the road bike, the hybrid now feels 'wrong' when I get on it; it's my wet weather bike now. It's not as comfortable, it's too upright, it's so much more effort to pedal, it's so much slower and it's so much less fun.

If you've got a MTB with slicks, keep that for your wet weather commute and seriously go and look at a road bike for good days. Some shops will let you 'hire' a road bike for a weekend and then take the hire cost off any bike that you buy from them later which would give you a few days to get used to one.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Somehow I get the impression that I am being steered towards drop bars, but I can't quite put my finger on how... ;p My experience of that type of bike is very limited - but I do strongly feel based on my bike experience thus far that I'd be happiest with a more upright riding position and wider, straight(ish) bars.

But it is true. I bought a hybrid to start commuting to work and at the time it was the right thing to do. I hadn't cycled much in years and I'd never been on a road bike so my hybrid got me used to cycling again and comfortable in traffic. Friends tried to get me to consider a road bike then but I was pretty sure that it wasn't for me - it was too twitchy and position too aggressive.

I bought a road bike this year. Within a few days of riding the road bike, the hybrid now feels 'wrong' when I get on it; it's my wet weather bike now. It's not as comfortable, it's too upright, it's so much more effort to pedal, it's so much slower and it's so much less fun.

If you've got a MTB with slicks, keep that for your wet weather commute and seriously go and look at a road bike for good days. Some shops will let you 'hire' a road bike for a weekend and then take the hire cost off any bike that you buy from them later which would give you a few days to get used to one.

And she's gone from being a munter to stunning...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Asprilla wrote:
    presume you've had a mosey at the frames in Condor already then?

Yes.

I'm considering adding to Walton's collection of bright orange Fratellos.

At the moment it's between the Genesis Equilibrium and the Fratello (with a Bob Jackson custom as an outside chance). The Equilibrium appears to be in low supply everywhere and I think the head tube will be a little short.

The Fratello appears to be a little short on the top tube.

I'm sure that by the time I get round to ordering something then 20 other options will have been and gone.

Mosquito Bikes in Islington have a 54 Equalibrium 10 demonstrator. There are plenty in stock at Ridgeback for next day delivery at least my 20 Size 56 was delivered next day.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope wrote:

Oi!

Tho definitely get chased more on the road bike :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    what about something like this? just as upright as a hybrid - will be fine on cycle paths, tow paths, muddy paths etc.

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-25-horizon.aspx

Actually you know, that looks quite nice. I'd feel very dignified on one of those.

Tell you what, I will *try* some touring bikes, and promise not to pull a face.

I bought a Dawes Horizon over 20 years ago. I've put about 7000 miles on it, commute on it during the rainy season and it still looks almost as good as new!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    dhope wrote:

Oi!

Tho definitely get chased more on the road bike :wink:

Don't mind him. That's 'flirting' talk :lol:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    So, wait. You're suggesting that the OP should go out this weekend and advise his girlfriend to buy a road bike, whilst he has to ride around on an "Old '90s Marin" for the next couple of months?

etc etc

Added to which, she has, by virtue of being on a road bike, just become hot as hell.

You could be ruining the poor chap's whole life!

hey - I'm doing him the favour - once...

If his burd gets a road bike there will be no way he'd look at himself in the mirror without one - he wins twice - his burd is hotter - much hotter -and she won't bin him out of hand for a man running dura-ace with a smooth action and cadence like a humming bird's wing.

If she gets one and he he bails then I have made the world a hotter place and someone will benefit.

If they both ride hybrids then I Iose interest... fine . . meh . .

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I tell you what I have noticed riding the MTB compared to the road bike.

Despite the MTB still having big squishy 2.1 tyres running at about 40psi it hurts my arse loads more than my roadie. The position might look comfy, but all the weight is bourne by my (rather perky) ass. It hit me this morning when I got on. I might have to get a pompetamine on CTW later in the year.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    prawny wrote:

Despite the MTB still having big squishy 2.1 tyres running at about 40psi it hurts my ars* loads more than my roadie. The position might look comfy, but all the weight is bourne by my (rather perky) ass. It hit me this morning when I got on. I might have to get a pompetamine on CTW later in the year.

hmmm ive been noticing my saddle isnt very comfortable anymore.... new bike? :P

anyway...hybrids: paging joelsim to the thread!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    richVSrich wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Despite the MTB still having big squishy 2.1 tyres running at about 40psi it hurts my ars* loads more than my roadie. The position might look comfy, but all the weight is bourne by my (rather perky) ass. It hit me this morning when I got on. I might have to get a pompetamine on CTW later in the year.

hmmm ive been noticing my saddle isnt very comfortable anymore.... new bike? :P

anyway...hybrids: paging joelsim to the thread!

I'll have you know the saddle is lovely 8)

It's all the bike fault I tells ya, Might stick some drops on it.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Greg T wrote:
    Here's a litmus test for you . . .

George Best - what would he ride?

A racing tricycle. They don't fall over when you are "tired and emotional"
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    George Best - what would he ride?

No, I see him more getting a backie from a pretty girl on Pashley - her looking slightly flushed and him with a cheek grin...