Experiencing the early pangs of bike-choosing angst

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Warning: This post contains time wasting inconsequential bloggery.

Bearing in mind any possible purchase is more than 2 months away... In the meantime I'm working with what I have - dropped it into the excellent local shop today for some slick tires, a rack and a computer.

Whilst in there I had a good gawp at the hybrid I had earmarked for C2W - my thoughts now however are that it's (a) too damn lairy and attention-grabbing both in the bike shelter and on the road, and (b) I probably won't need the front suspension for the vast majority of the time.

I saw another one however which is more geared a bit more towards road use and very much has "stealth" styling (black lettering on satin charcoal finish, no coloured anodising etc) - in fact I didn't notice it at all initially. I think I'd feel more comfortable with the lower-profile styling, and it's still not too much of a departure from the ATB type I'm used to. The other question would be whether I went for the entry level or the one with upgraded brakes and gears.

If I did decide to spring for it, I could then have my current bike with the knobbly tires back on for fun/rougher stuff, and a dedicated separate road/commuter bike.

These are all just initial musings based on not even having ridden any of them! My partner is (probably) buying herself a hybrid this Friday and I will of course be going along for the vicarious gear buying thrill - again, this model is another possible option for me too, but we would then have the "Howard and Hilda" factor to contend with.

I guess ultimately it's going to come down to what the gut instinct says after trying everything and being in full possession of the facts. I do have at least a month before I'd need to send in a C2W application, so by then I might even be commuting already.

I will most likely change my mind several more times.
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Drop bars..... I'm getting the subliminal messages in early.....

Buying a new bike is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman....

I'm looking for a new winter frame at the moment, something cheap for crappy commutes and possibly winter club runs. I've narrowed it down to everything from a second hand alu frame to a custom built Ti frame.

In a couple of years I might even have a budget I can stick to.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    whats wrong with that belt drive thing?
  • asprilla
    whats wrong with that belt drive thing?

It's far too heavy to take out in the Surrey Hills. The alfine hub weighs a ton. It was great last winter in the snow and ice, but I'm after a frame I can transfer the parts from my Cervelo onto and use as a year round commuter to save the Scott a little.

Also, I take pleasure in buying things, particularly bikes, and I already have permission.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    presume you've had a mosey at the frames in Condor already then?
  • asprilla
    presume you've had a mosey at the frames in Condor already then?

Yes.

I'm considering adding to Walton's collection of bright orange Fratellos.

At the moment it's between the Genesis Equilibrium and the Fratello (with a Bob Jackson custom as an outside chance). The Equilibrium appears to be in low supply everywhere and I think the head tube will be a little short.

The Fratello appears to be a little short on the top tube.

I'm sure that by the time I get round to ordering something then 20 other options will have been and gone.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I saw another one however which is more geared a bit more towards road use and very much has "stealth" styling (black lettering on satin charcoal finish, no coloured anodising etc) - in fact I didn't notice it at all initially. I think I'd feel more comfortable with the lower-profile styling, and it's still not too much of a departure from the ATB type I'm used to. The other question would be whether I went for the entry level or the one with upgraded brakes and gears.

Are you sure it's not a respray of someone else's frame?

I blame Wiggle.

Yay! I got an in joke in!

My first.

I'm so proud. :D

Being serious - for gawds sake don't get a bloody bike with front suspension if you're going to be commuting on the road. Just. No.

dropbardropbardrop... repeat this.... it will work....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Hybrid's suck balls! And not in the way that can be enjoyed by all sexualities.

They have this unique knack of managing to compromise on the bits that inject cool and fun into the bike.

If you are going off trail regularly then get a mountain bike and invest in some slicks and be prepared to suffer on the road. But I know some mountain bike commuters out there that will hold 20 - 21mph with out pause.

If you want to go fast in a graceful way always on tarmac. Road bike.

If you want to go off road on a road bike get a cyclocross bike.

But getting a Hybrid often leads to you finding your niche and then ending up buying another bike to meet the needs the hybrid falls short of because it had to compromise. And there will be those that will chime saying I'm wrong. But I've owned a hybrid a Giant Escape M2. It was a road bike I wanted so a year later I got one and haven't looked back.

As for brake and gear upgrade. Not knowing what it's hard to comment. But as a rule, go for what you can reasonably afford.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Drop bars

Carbon fork

700c wheels

23mm tyres

Alu frame with brakes integrated into the shifters
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hybrid's suck balls! And not in the way that can be enjoyed by all sexualities.

They have this unique knack of managing to compromise on the bits that inject cool and fun into the bike.

If you are going off trail regularly then get a mountain bike and invest in some slicks and be prepared to suffer on the road. But I know some mountain bike commuters out there that will hold 20 - 21mph with out pause.

If you want to go fast in a graceful way always on tarmac. Road bike.

If you want to go off road on a road bike get a cyclocross bike.

But getting a Hybrid often leads to you finding your niche and then ending up buying another bike to meet the needs the hybrid falls short of because it had to compromise. And there will be those that will chime saying I'm wrong. But I've owned a hybrid a Giant Escape M2. It was a road bike I wanted so a year later I got one and haven't looked back.

As for brake and gear upgrade. Not knowing what it's hard to comment. But as a rule, go for what you can reasonably afford.

Just gaffawed at this.....now cleaning banana off my beautiful 22" Dell monitor - thanks DDD.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    No suspension if you're commuting on it, waste of effort and added weight for no benefit. Offroad sure, on road, nah.

What's the budget roughly?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    to the hybrids rescue!

i have a (road) hybrid, and its been fun. the reason why i got was: i hadnt ridden properly in a long time...i've never commuted by bike before ...and had never used drops..

my hybrid has been a blast, but yes, i now realise i do want a roadie...unfortunately im going to have to wait until next season...sigh

my disc brakes have been great, and i have developed some sort of dropped aero position :) plus being able to take on roadies with an fcn of about 4 or 5 less than you totally kicks asssss ;)

hybrids have their use! but make sure its a road hybrid for the road!
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD wrote:
    But getting a Hybrid often leads to you finding your niche and then ending up buying another bike to meet the needs the hybrid falls short of because it had to compromise.
    Point in case:
    richVSrich wrote:
    to the hybrids rescue!

my hybrid has been a blast, but yes, i now realise i do want a roadie...unfortunately im going to have to wait until next season...sigh

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you.

To add. Drop bars, most riders ride on the hoods, it is I would argue more comfortable that a flat bar. In fact riding on the hoods is like bar ends on a flat bar. Also another benefit with drop bars is the added multiple positions you can place your hands, this allows you to rotate your shoulders and adjust your back. Avoiding cramp and pain.

A flat straight handlebar like you get on a hybrid is a fixed position and that can get sore after a while.
    Food Chain number = 4

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Can I butt in (hijack) and ask for CX suggestions along exactly this line. Want drops. Want good brakes. Want ice tyres. All for winter. Focus Mares 2.0 is current favourite
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    what i meant was hybrids are fine :) and if you are concerned about riding on drops, then flats can be the way forward :)

its more of a case of n + 1 : my hybrid will become my wet weather bike (28 tyres + disc brakes) and the new bike as and when i do get it will be my bike for all other occassions (and i have actually pretty much sorted out what bike i will be getting next year unless there are major changes :P)
  • dhope wrote:
    No suspension if you're commuting on it, waste of effort and added weight for no benefit. Offroad sure, on road, nah.

I suppose anywhere between £450 and £800 RRP before C2W saving. My current train fare is pushing £80 per month, and I don't want to repay more than £50 per month on C2W. The candidates at either end of the price scale are the Cannondale Quick CX-4 and the Bad Boy Fatty Deore. I seem to be increasingly ruling out the CX-3. I'm currently riding an early 90's Marin Bear Valley SE which is a nice light ATB (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) with good solid gears and brakes and in very good nick. Most of its value now is sentimental, however I'd really like to get something equally good with a fairly similar vibe.

Somehow I get the impression that I am being steered towards drop bars, but I can't quite put my finger on how... ;p My experience of that type of bike is very limited - but I do strongly feel based on my bike experience thus far that I'd be happiest with a more upright riding position and wider, straight(ish) bars.

It's going to be about 7 miles each way at a comfortable pace - 45 minutes on quiet roads and cycle paths is fine for me because I'm a big wuss.
  • clarkey cat
    what about something like this? just as upright as a hybrid - will be fine on cycle paths, tow paths, muddy paths etc.

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-25-horizon.aspx
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Can I butt in (hijack) and ask for CX suggestions along exactly this line. Want drops. Want good brakes. Want ice tyres. All for winter. Focus Mares 2.0 is current favourite

Genesis Vapur disc, Pompetamine, Boardman team cx, croix de fer/day 01 alfine...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • It's going to be about 7 miles each way at a comfortable pace - 45 minutes on quiet roads and cycle paths is fine for me because I'm a big wuss.

Yeah, that'd be about my average time for a 14 mile round trip. If you can do that on a mountain bike, you're doing quite well.

Drop bars ;)
  • prawny wrote:

Genesis Vapur disc, Pompetamine, Boardman team cx, croix de fer/day 01 alfine...

Make sure they're 2012 versions if you're going for a Genesis with discs, they're getting a much-needed upgrade to Avid BBs. The people I know who have the current generation tell me that the brakes are awful.
  • what about something like this? just as upright as a hybrid - will be fine on cycle paths, tow paths, muddy paths etc.

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-25-horizon.aspx

Actually you know, that looks quite nice. I'd feel very dignified on one of those.

Tell you what, I will *try* some touring bikes, and promise not to pull a face.
  • It's going to be about 7 miles each way at a comfortable pace - 45 minutes on quiet roads and cycle paths is fine for me because I'm a big wuss.

Yeah, that'd be about my average time for a 14 mile round trip. If you can do that on a mountain bike, you're doing quite well.

Drop bars ;)

Oh, how delicious - you thought I meant 45 minutes there and back!
  • clarkey cat
    well, look, if you're going to consider drop bars then why not just go all out and get tri-bars... something like this perhaps?

3705270964_b98ff0abf2.jpg
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:

I suppose anywhere between £450 and £800 RRP before C2W saving. My current train fare is pushing £80 per month, and I don't want to repay more than £50 per month on C2W. The candidates at either end of the price scale are the Cannondale Quick CX-4 and the Bad Boy Fatty Deore. I seem to be increasingly ruling out the CX-3. I'm currently riding an early 90's Marin Bear Valley SE which is a nice light ATB (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) with good solid gears and brakes and in very good nick. Most of its value now is sentimental, however I'd really like to get something equally good with a fairly similar vibe.

Somehow I get the impression that I am being steered towards drop bars, but I can't quite put my finger on how... ;p My experience of that type of bike is very limited - but I do strongly feel based on my bike experience thus far that I'd be happiest with a more upright riding position and wider, straight(ish) bars.

It's going to be about 7 miles each way at a comfortable pace - 45 minutes on quiet roads and cycle paths is fine for me because I'm a big wuss.

I commute on either a flat barred single speed or a drop barred road bike. Both are fine and you'll get used to drops in no time. You don't have to have your head down either, you've got the hoods which you'll use most of the time and that'll keep you pretty upright.

45mins for 7 miles? You'll be down to 35 within the week then eyeing 30 and below soon after :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    There's an awful lot of guff talked about drop bars v. flat bars.

I ride both. I DO think that drops are better for long distances on road but I'm sceptical it makes much difference over half hour urban commutes. Some people do very long rides on mountain bikes with flat bars and cope with the hand positions. Some people have their drop bars so low that they hardly ever ride on the drops. Personally I don't have a big drop from saddle to bar and use the drops a lot when descending or faced with a headwind.

If you've ever seen what people ride on ultra long tours, they are quite often on flatbars with bar ends or butterfly bars rather than drops.

Don't get me wrong, If I was going to have one bike for commuting it would have drops but it doesn't matter that much and a big factor is image. Apart from the drops/shifters, a lot of hybrids are almost identical to road bikes (well perhaps tourers).
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    My partner is (probably) buying herself a hybrid this Friday and I will of course be going along for the vicarious gear buying thrill

NOOOOOOOO

Oh the horror!

It's like going with the Burd to Anne Summers and coming back with a bag of cat litter....

Your "partner" needs a road bike. SHUT UP yes she does.

Burds on road bikes are fitter by a long chalk than burds on other bikes - now this is a FACT - proper full on globally acknowledged truth.

If you get some hybrid monstrosity two things will happen - you'll have to start posting on "commuting dull as feck general" and also your burd will leave you for a Roadie.

Hybrids are crap. Some people ride Hybrids and are very happy. These people know no better and have no mates to tell them that they bought the wrong bike. Mates only let mates ride hybrids for their own amusement.

Here's a litmus test for you . . .

George Best - what would he ride?

Exfeckingzactly
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I only do a 2 mile round trip at the moment and I'm doing it on my MTB and I don't half miss the drops. If I felt safe leaving my road bike at the station all day I would. But I don't - so I wont.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Greg T wrote:

Miss World, wasn't it?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg T wrote:

Miss World, wasn't it?

Yep - she knew a man who would ride a Road Bike when she saw it . . . .

Have him turn up at the Pub on a Hybrid with a Flouro Sam Brown and she'd be gates.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • dhope
    Greg T wrote:
    Here's a litmus test for you . . .

He'd likely have ridden both girls, though I take your point, he'd have gone for the one on the roadie first.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    it's true - even a muntah somehow looks quite fit on a nice roadie - whereas a bird on some big manky hybrid with her builder's hi-viz drapsed down, dipping into her Cath Kidston pannier bag - always look grim.