Shooting

2»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not versed on the rules of Time trialling and whether they factor head or tailwinds in times world records

I'm fairly sure that there isn't a 'road' time trial world records, too many variables such as the course and wind to make meaningful comparison.......I think the marathon is the same.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,014
    Sewinman wrote:
    You are studiously ignoring that one of the two key parts of my definition was 'competitive'. If any of the random activities you have listed were done at a competitive level then they would become sport in my opinion (apart from music - I don't think that takes physical skill, more musical ability, unless it was endurance piano playing or something).

Golf is much easier than darts.
    They aren't randomly selected activities - they all have features in common with "sports".

I bet you that somewhere in the world this weekend, there will be a juggling competition.

There is a tiddlywinks world championships.

Okay, music isn't a sport, but the BBC has lost the rights to all sports and will soon be televising extreme mountain horn blowing. And the piano does require vast amounts of physical skill, precisely coordinating left and right sides of the body, and independently controling your feet and hands. For darts, you need to have one arm and it doesn't need to move much.

I do get your point about darts - the skill levels at the very top are no doubt extraordinary. But I included music initially because I was going to ask you which was the "hardest" musical instrument to play. By analogy, I don't think you can compare the difficulty of different sports (or other physical activities which may or may not be classed as sports).

Here's a thought - is the "difficulty" of a sport a function of how much competition there is? I think track cycling is "easier" than road cycling because fewer people do it so you have a better chance of getting to the top. If you have gigantism, you can become a top rower in a small number of years, having never picked up an oar before university. I think rowing is an easy sport because its comparatively easy to get to the top level. This is why we in the UK excel at rowing and track cycling but suck donkey balls at football.
  • First.Aspect
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm not versed on the rules of Time trialling and whether they factor head or tailwinds in times world records
    I'm fairly sure that there isn't a 'road' time trial world records, too many variables such as the course and wind to make meaningful comparison.......I think the marathon is the same.
    They do keep records, e.g. fastest average TT speeds on the tour, etc. but its much more like rowing records or race course (horses) records. Too many environmental factors to truly compare. But good for marketing purposes if you happened to build the boat/bike wot did it.

They also have records for the ascents of the cols in the Tour. For some reason most of these were set in the late 90's.
  • tailwindhome
    edited August 2011
    I am a purist when it comes to the Olympics - I belive it should not include any activity which can be ranked on "artisitic" grounds - figure skating, synchronised swimming, BMX, some of the gymnastics (tbh most of the gymnastics) - this is because the Olympics shoud be about Faster, Higher, Further[/i].

Shooting would be included in a 'pure' olympics as it is a test of a marital skill. I believe the root of the olympics is in testing the skills of a soldier.

Running
    Jumping
    Swimming
    Shooting
    Unarmed Combat
    Horse Riding
    ETA Sailing and Rowing
    etc

Personally the test for what should be included in the Olympic would be straight forward. Is the achievement of an Olympic Gold the highest level of achievement in that sport. By this standard Tennis, Road Cycling, Golf, Football, Rugby etc would all be out,
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sewinman wrote:
    You are studiously ignoring that one of the two key parts of my definition was 'competitive'. If any of the random activities you have listed were done at a competitive level then they would become sport in my opinion (apart from music - I don't think that takes physical skill, more musical ability, unless it was endurance piano playing or something).

Golf is much easier than darts.
    They aren't randomly selected activities - they all have features in common with "sports".

I bet you that somewhere in the world this weekend, there will be a juggling competition.

There is a tiddlywinks world championships.

Okay, music isn't a sport, but the BBC has lost the rights to all sports and will soon be televising extreme mountain horn blowing. And the piano does require vast amounts of physical skill, precisely coordinating left and right sides of the body, and independently controling your feet and hands. For darts, you need to have one arm and it doesn't need to move much.

I do get your point about darts - the skill levels at the very top are no doubt extraordinary. But I included music initially because I was going to ask you which was the "hardest" musical instrument to play. By analogy, I don't think you can compare the difficulty of different sports (or other physical activities which may or may not be classed as sports).

I would be happy for juggling to be called a sport if it was done in competition. I agree that its a physical challenge to play the piano - but the main differentiator between the good and the bad is their musical ability, not physical skill.

The harp is the hardest musical instrument.
  • First.Aspect
    Sewinman wrote:
    :lol::lol:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    They also have records for the ascents of the cols in the Tour. For some reason most of these were set in the late 90's.

I wonder how they compared on the Alp d'Huez this year to Pantani - wiki says:

Pantani - 37 35
    Contador 2011 - 41.30

Pantani 10% quicker.
  • First.Aspect
    Personally the test for what should be included in the Olympic would be straight forward. Is the achievement of an Olympic Gold the highest level of achievement in that sport. By this standard Tennis, Road Cycling, Golf, Football, Rugby etc would all be out,
    What about you and your buddies covering yourselves in olive oil and having a jolly good tussle? I know you want THAT in the olympics.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377

I would suggest the bagpipes as you need to be hard of hearing to play the feckers!

Also re the post on outside influcences - fishing v cycling - a fish has a choice to take bait or not, to be in one part of the lake or not - a puncture is totally random event and bad luck in the same vein as a runner stumbling..(unless you happen to taking part in the Etape Caledonia in which case some sad gobshite god botherer thinks people shouldn't be enjoying themselves on the Sabbath(not the bike))
  • tailwindhome
    edited August 2011
    Hey First Aspect

I'm starting to suspect you used to be someone else!

Have you always been this tyred?
  • First.Aspect
    Redhog14 wrote:

I would suggest the bagpipes as you need to be hard of hearing to play the feckers!
    The bagpipes is an endurance sport.
  • First.Aspect
    Hey First Aspect

I'm starting to suspect you used to be someone else!

Have you always been this tyred?
    Still bored at home, unable to walk. Trying not to offend anyone too badly. Sometimes failing.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 wrote:

Not just for the competitors - try working in Central Edinburgh, I want a knitting needle so as I can walke past the buggers and burst their bags - FYI the most modern pipers bags are now made of GORETEX!
  • First.Aspect
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

Not just for the competitors - try working in Central Edinburgh, I want a knitting needle so as I can walke past the buggers and burst their bags - FYI the most modern pipers bags are now made of GORETEX!
    Did you hear that the city council is trying to put in a recorded bagpipe music bylaw, so that its less dangerous to walk down Princes Street?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    [

Shooting would be included in a 'pure' olympics as it is a test of a marital skill. I believe the root of the olympics is in testing the skills of a soldier.

Running
    Jumping
    Swimming
    Shooting
    Unarmed Combat
    Horse Riding
    ETA Sailing and Rowing
    etc

this sounds about right to me. Track and field type events are probably the oldest and based around tests of strength, coordination and physical ability. I imagine shooting slotted into this, although sadly events like the tug of war got the boot.

Other sports got tacked on as time went on. This probably occurred as more sports became popular, but also I suspect as a commercial venture for the IOC to make a grab to be the big event over and above existing set-ups or at times a push by a sporting body (e.g Taekwondo ) to advance their commercial interests.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Shooting would be included in a 'pure' olympics as it is a test of a marital skill.
    Like pretending you're interested in shoe-shopping? ;)

Any sport where the winner isn't decided objectively shouldn't be in the Olympics, IMHO.
  • tailwindhome
    jamesco wrote:
    Shooting would be included in a 'pure' olympics as it is a test of a marital skill.
    Like pretending you're interested in shoe-shopping? ;)

Any sport where the winner isn't decided objectively shouldn't be in the Olympics, IMHO.

Hehe

Marital Martial

It's no coincidence.
  • Redhog14

Wow - your wedding day vows must have been different - Marriage really is an endurance sport, something in the Iron Man category...
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

Did you hear that the city council is trying to put in a recorded bagpipe music bylaw, so that its less dangerous to walk down Princes Street?

There is a piper who plays on Castlehill sometime (he shall remain nameless) who has an iPod and speaker inside his pipe bag, absolutley coins it in!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Didn't shooting get in because of the pentathlon ?
  • sport |spôrt|
    noun
    1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment : team sports such as baseball and soccer | [as adj. ]

That is cut and pasted from my Mac's dictionary app.

The modern Olympics had activities based on art and craft skills in it's early days. The ancient Olympic Games featured events that were mostly based on military activities. Worth saying I think that the Olympics are games, and games could be said to include darts, chess and so on.