Ladybower 19 Miler - Sunday 21st August

Proutster
Proutster Posts: 785
edited August 2011 in MTB rides
Anybody up for joining me on this 19 miler (think it was an MBR "UK Trail" route):

LadybowerLoop-1.jpg

It'll include The Beast, Hagg Farm, The Descent from Lockerbrook Farm down to Upper Derwent Reservoir then up to Whinstone Lee Tor (need to get back up there before it gets too wet again) and the descent back to the Ladybower Inn.

Planning to start in the Layby just South of the Dam (as shown by the arrow) and go clockwise. Probably starting at 9ish.

The weather should be better than the last time we did the first half of it (February this year with snow on the ground) - http://www.vimeo.com/20375802

Let me know if you're interested.

Comments

• Proutster
    Unashamed bump!!

That should be 4 of us so far - 2 mates of mine + kinmofo

All welcome to join, it's a classic route from the Peaks!!
  • would be interested in joining you. will let you know for definite nearer the date#

adam
  • Proutster
    would be interested in joining you. will let you know for definite nearer the date#

adam

Adam - do it!! You won't regret it, it's a great ride.

At this early date (and we all know how sh!t weather forecasts are) the weather on Metcheck.com looks like it's going to be great - sunshine and light clouds.
  • chatters
    chatters Posts: 107
    Hi mark, long time no see, i got your txt the other day and im trying to get sunday off at the moment, ill definately be there with one of my mates if im off!
    pinkbike.com/photo/790916
  • Proutster
    Hi Dan,

Good to hear from you, it'd be great if you and your mate could join us, the more the merrier - let's hope you can get the day off!!

I'll be posting again towards the end of the week just to finally confirm meeting point & time.
  • chatters
    hey mark, i cant make the ride on sunday, i really want to ride this route though so if you do it again anytime let me know.
    cheers
  • Proutster
    chatters wrote:
    hey mark, i cant make the ride on sunday, i really want to ride this route though so if you do it again anytime let me know.
    cheers
    That's a shame Dan!! Doesn't work always get in the way!!

Will probably do this again before the winter so will let you know then.
  • Proutster
    The weather looks as if it should be good for this:
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day ... Derbyshire

We'll be starting from the layby just South of the Dam (as the arrow on the above map) at 9ish - I'll be there between 8:30 and 8:45am.

Hope to see lots of you there, it's a cracking ride.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    We're doing a version of this on Sunday afternoon but missing out all the Tarmac through Thornhill/Aston :wink:
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    Using the cheeky footpath over towards Win Hill by any chance Ibbo :wink:
  • Proutster
    ibbo68 wrote:
    We're doing a version of this on Sunday afternoon but missing out all the Tarmac through Thornhill/Aston :wink:

Why not do it on Sunday morning & show us the light???
  • sniper68
    Proutster wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

Can't make the AM I'm afraid.The missus is working so it's a late(4pm) start :roll:
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Out of interest, how much tarmac riding is involved in the route? Does the rest consist of bridleways / singletrack etc? Of the few short clips i've seen it looks like a good route.
  • sniper68
    DodgeT wrote:
    Out of interest, how much tarmac riding is involved in the route? Does the rest consist of bridleways / singletrack etc? Of the few short clips i've seen it looks like a good route.
    On the OPs map according to memory Map there's about 5 miles of Tarmac,95% of which is narrow country lanes with little or no traffic.
    It's a classic Dark Peak route which is luckily for me on my doorstep 8)
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    It's a great route, not much tarmac at all, and you'll usually only see 1 or 2 cars on most of it. Proutster's route has a short bit of the Snake Pass, which is quite fast and busy, but personally I prefer to ignore the beast and do Blackley Clough instead, and then you only have to cross the pass.
    I don't mind the tarmac around Aston, its all very quiet, its over pretty quickly, and the climb from there to Win Hill is great.
  • DodgeT
    Cheers, so with the cheeky detour, what sort of distance does it make it? I have a dodgy knee see, which usually starts to give up around the 15mile mark....
  • sniper68
    edited August 2011
    altern_8 wrote:
    Using the cheeky footpath over towards Win Hill by any chance Ibbo :wink:
    Nope using the permissive BW that the cheeky FP joins :wink: No need to use the FP.See below.
    DodgeT wrote:
    Cheers, so with the cheeky detour, what sort of distance does it make it? I have a dodgy knee see, which usually starts to give up around the 15mile mark....
    Its not a cheeky detour, it's on a permissive BW through the woods(not signed (at this end) and only shown on 1:25000 maps :wink: ) 16 miles.Unfortunately a bit of logging has churned up the 1st couple of hundred yards.
  • Proutster
    DodgeT wrote:

Probably won't be doing the "cheeky detour" as that's when I start to get lost :oops:

As per the original title of the post, I'm pretty sure the total route as on the map at the beginning is 19 miles.

It'd be great if you could join us, as above it's a classic Peak ride.
  • Proutster
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Proutster wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

Can't make the AM I'm afraid.The missus is working so it's a late(4pm) start :roll:

Ah well, work (whether it's your own or someone elses) always seems to get in the way.

Perhaps another time...
  • DodgeT
    Proutster wrote:
    Probably won't be doing the "cheeky detour" as that's when I start to get lost :oops:

As per the original title of the post, I'm pretty sure the total route as on the map at the beginning is 19 miles.

It'd be great if you could join us, as above it's a classic Peak ride.

Understand, I get lost as soon as I get out of the car :)
    Not sure if i'll have time tomorrow as its a bit of a drive for me. What sort of time is it to do, about 2.5 - 3hrs at a guess?
  • Proutster
    DodgeT wrote:
    Understand, I get lost as soon as I get out of the car :)
    Not sure if i'll have time tomorrow as its a bit of a drive for me. What sort of time is it to do, about 2.5 - 3hrs at a guess?

No, it's a tough ride (for me at least) - it'll take us 4-5 hours including a stop for sarnies. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to average more than 5mph on a proper ride!! Must be just weak legs :oops:

Hope you can make it, it really is a classic.
  • sniper68
    Proutster wrote:
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to average more than 5mph on a proper ride!! Must be just weak legs :oops:

That's about what we average on this sort of terrain.I am by no means a racing snake but can(around hilly north Sheff/Penistone etc) average 12-15mph on a roady but it drops to 5ish off road.TBH I'm not that bothered so long as I enjoy the day out 8)
    This ride usually takes us about 3.5-4hours with around 3 hours riding and the rest eating/talking :wink:
  • DodgeT
    Looks like I was being a bit optimistic, I was basing it on a route round wildboarclough area which I assume would be similar terrain, but then remembered its nowhere near as long..... I'd prob be pushing after mile 16 anyway with my bloomin knee :(

Anyhow, girlfriend has got her heart set on a day at the beach tomorrow, so i'll wish you all a good ride. Will definately be interested in this next time you do it though so i'll keep an eye out :D
  • It too is a route that I would like todo but don't like doing routes that far off road on my own, shame I'm at work today :(
  • Proutster
    What a great ride - it was in superb, dry condition with the trails running the fastest I've ever seen them.

Still hated The Beast :oops: That's one to get through, rather than to enjoy (IMHO). The rest of the ride was tops, especially across Winstone Lee Tor.

Only had 3 offs :oops: the rest of them didn't fall off once!! Still need to get more skillful to overcome the need for speed.

I'd recommend all to do this ride - we'll be doing it again before it gets too wet.
  • chatters
    Glad you had a good ride mate,REALLY wanted to make it today, but just couldnt get the day off work, you'll have to keep me up to date when you are doing the ride again.
  • yeah. i would like to do this if you do it again, i bottled it and went to the pines instead. :D
  • sniper68
    Proutster wrote:
    Still hated The Beast :oops: That's one to get through, rather than to enjoy (IMHO). The rest of the ride was tops, especially across Winstone Lee Tor.
    The Beast was my nemesis for a long time.When you clear it and you realise it's just another trail the penny drops 8) I can now blast down it on the FS without a thought and have a grin like a Cheshire cat at the bottom......I now need to clean it on my new HT :D and on a night ride :twisted:
    Then I have an appointment with Cavedale :)
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Proutster wrote:

If you hate the beast, have you tried Blackley? I prefer that way, as I'm not a big fan of the beast, and then you can cross the road and head straight up to Rowlee farm.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    andituk wrote:
    Proutster wrote:

If you hate the beast, have you tried Blackley? I prefer that way, as I'm not a big fan of the beast, and then you can cross the road and head straight up to Rowlee farm.

+1 with you andituk,ive tried the Beast once and walked it all the way,from what ive seen on YouTube tho,seems as tho there is a line going down it now,id still rather do Blackley tho,as i can get down it :lol: