riding fixed

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have gone the other way:

from 48 x 15 to 44 x 15 to 44 x 16 - just to make it easier on my knees on the hills - getting to be an old man now!

My route is pretty flat - see how I get on.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Butterd2 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    I had moved briefly to Charlton but I'm back in Maze Hill at the moment, about 3 doors down from where I was before. You must live around the corner from Obie then - he was on the same road as me (black geared Cotic).

Haven't noticed him but then if he's riding at your sort of times then I will still be tucked up in bed!

My times have changed slightly as I either start at 7 or 10 now. 10am start usually leave at 8 and go via the gym, 7am start expect I'll leave at 6 and sleep in the office instead.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

from 48 x 15 to 44 x 15 to 44 x 16 - just to make it easier on my knees on the hills - getting to be an old man now!

headwinds can kill too - no break from them with the freewheel and trying to shove a big gear is tough as crisp packets fly by your head!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Pfft, don't underestimate the Col de Hampton Court Bridge and Col de Hurst Park (which weirdly is always quicker on the way up than the way down, in either direction).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    Or you could just not change gear?

Yes.... that can be step one. :)

The less weight and complexity does seem to be the compelling bit of a single speed for some people though.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • clarkey cat
    I don't go down the A3050 - I live by the station so cut up through Rydens Road and then across some backroads.

Have you commuted in yet to your new offices?

I recorded 1hr 12m last week so thats the time to beat.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Irvinet wrote:

The less weight and complexity does seem to be the compelling bit of a single speed for some people though.

+1 very little maint and very light!
  • Irvinet
    dhope wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Yes, I did this on the way in this morning despite commuting almost exclusively fixed for the last year. Certainly wakes you up.

Have you moved, your commute shows you living just down the road from me?

(I'm at the top of Charlton Church Lane)
    I had moved briefly to Charlton but I'm back in Maze Hill at the moment, about 3 doors down from where I was before. You must live around the corner from Obie then - he was on the same road as me (black geared Cotic).

Maze Hill? Very nice.

I am in Charlton as well. Just off Woolwich Rd, near the firestation. Set of 8:30 most mornings.... home time is variable.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Irvinet wrote:

I am in Charlton as well. Just off Woolwich Rd, near the firestation. Set of 8:30 most mornings.... home time is variable.

Never noticed a Fire Station :oops:

I'm at top of CCL so ride through the Standard to Greenwich park and down the hill. Do you do the Jamaica Rd route?

I kick off about 8ish normally
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Irvinet
    Butterd2 wrote:

I'm at top of CCL so ride through the Standard to Greenwich park and down the hill. Do you do the Jamaica Rd route?

The firestation is quite noticable when you live next door. :) West end of Woolwich road. Couple of hundred meters before you hit the A102 underpass-of-traffic-carnage.

Yeah, I do Jamaica, Tooley and cross over London Bridge. See you round if I have a 9am meeting. :)
  • dhope
    Irvinet wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

The firestation is quite noticable when you live next door. :) West end of Woolwich road. Couple of hundred meters before you hit the A102 underpass-of-traffic-carnage.

Yeah, I do Jamaica, Tooley and cross over London Bridge. See you round if I have a 9am meeting. :)

Similar time and same route to me then. Green Langster or black Boardman Team Carbon. Red Deuter Race backpack.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    I don't go down the A3050 - I live by the station so cut up through Rydens Road and then across some backroads.

Have you commuted in yet to your new offices?

I recorded 1hr 12m last week so thats the time to beat.

Oh Jeesh, you don't go down Island Farm Road do you? That's guaranteed to show up an rattles you''ve got, including your teeth.

Rode in this morning in 1hr 15, although you're going about a mile further than me at the Walton end; I'm not far off Terrace Road.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Irvinet
    dhope wrote:
    Similar time and same route to me then. Green Langster or black Boardman Team Carbon. Red Deuter Race backpack.

Will keep my eyes peeled. I am on Silver and Blue Roberts. Bright Red Alpkit(roll top) backback.

Red Fixie in the winter. Tandem on the weekend. :)

Must have seen you round I'm sure.
  • Butterd2
    Irvinet wrote:

Snap, normally on the Pace FG.

OP - sorry for nicking the thread.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:

+1 very little maint and very light!

Maintenance is the attraction for me here, with a disc brake I should be well set.
  • Irvinet
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:

Ah, we have chatted once. Interesting square section frame right? I told you it reminded me of the new Marin "hydro formed" tubes.

Pleasure to meet you.

Yes, sorry OP. :) Here is a link to a good explanation of how to rotafix your cog. I don't recommend going without a lockring but the reverese of this is about the only way to get a stuck cog off your hub and it saves you having to buy a special tool for the job.

http://204.73.203.34/fisso/eng/schpignone.htm
  • dhope
    Irvinet wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:

Ah, we have chatted once. Interesting square section frame right? I told you it reminded me of the new Marin "hydro formed" tubes.

Pleasure to meet you.

Yes, sorry OP. :) Here is a link to a good explanation of how to rotafix your cog. I don't recommend going without a lockring but the reverese of this is about the only way to get a stuck cog off your hub and it saves you having to buy a special tool for the job.

http://204.73.203.34/fisso/eng/schpignone.htm

+1 on rotafix, why I didn't try it before spending half an hour skidding up and down the street trying in vain to loosen the cog after removing the lockring I don't know.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    Oh Jeesh, you don't go down Island Farm Road do you? That's guaranteed to show up an rattles you''ve got, including your teeth.

Rode in this morning in 1hr 15, although you're going about a mile further than me at the Walton end; I'm not far off Terrace Road.

Yes, but recently started just going the long way round on Walton Rd and its only about 30 seconds slower so reckon I'll stick to that...
    Also my route at the end is slightly shorter as I don't go all the way down to Blackfriars Bridge - I turn off at Temple and go up Kingsway and then illegally right on to Theobalds Rd.
  • Butterd2
    Irvinet wrote:

Pleasure to meet you.

Ah I do remember - also said something about not liking the sus forks I think :lol:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Irvinet
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Ah I do remember - also said something about not liking the sus forks I think :lol:

Well.... there aren't huge sections of single track on your average London commute.

The potholes are getting to the point where I might change my mind though. :wink:
  • asprilla

Yes, but recently started just going the long way round on Walton Rd and its only about 30 seconds slower so reckon I'll stick to that...
    Also my route at the end is slightly shorter as I don't go all the way down to Blackfriars Bridge - I turn off at Temple and go up Kingsway and then illegally right on to Theobalds Rd.

I hr 11 on the way home tonight. Lighter load makes a difference.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat

*injects EPO*

the challenge has been set.

I really enjoyed riding fixed but found the 15t sprocket quite hard work with the head wind. I didnt have any real 'fixed' moments - in fact weirdly had more this morning on the geared bike; every time I went to freewheel my leg would automatically pop up anticipating the pedal to keep going around - which obviously it didnt do. Felt quite strange but also amazingly easy on the geared bike. I can see why people used fixed to train.
  • Irvinet
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:

Quite the coincidence seeing you last night! Sorry I did not hang around, had to get the dog to a vet appointment.

See you round.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

*injects EPO*

the challenge has been set.

I really enjoyed riding fixed but found the 15t sprocket quite hard work with the head wind. I didnt have any real 'fixed' moments - in fact weirdly had more this morning on the geared bike; every time I went to freewheel my leg would automatically pop up anticipating the pedal to keep going around - which obviously it didnt do. Felt quite strange but also amazingly easy on the geared bike. I can see why people used fixed to train.

did say :wink: build yourself up.. wait till it's friday, you've ridden fixed all week and your legs are done, the slightest breeze on the way home is a killer, it's chewing the bars time and a significant slab on MTFU or going to the pub having a skinful and getting the train home :lol:

glad you have a geared bike to 'rest' as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    The PF paid a visit last night on the fixie so I'll be on the Tangerine Dream for the rest of the week.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It takes you three days to fix a puncture? MTFU Clarkey :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • clarkey cat
    Ha - I need those spanner things for removing the back wheel!
  • dhope
    This
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pedros-trixie-f ... multi-tool
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858

Can't you fix it with the wheel on?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Butterd2
    Irvinet wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Irvinet wrote:

Quite the coincidence seeing you last night! Sorry I did not hang around, had to get the dog to a vet appointment.

See you round.

Yes it was!

Sorry I didn't hang around either :oops:

Don't have the gearing to hang on for too long at the speeds you were doing (excuse, excuse, excuse.....)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols