Self-defence tips for commuting?

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sketchley wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

The complete tossa (i.e. me) squares up, stands and fights......

Interesting. My Karate teaching taught me to Square Up, stand firm and let the other man make the decision if they want to fight or not. Should I be unable to get the hell out a situation, or for that matter if I have to intervene (see above story) I refuse to be intimidated and will always stand my ground. Certainly helps that I can handle myself if need be although I've not struck someone in anger in over 25 years and don't want to start now. Even red mist man wouldn't phase me I'd probably just sit on them and wait for police. :D

I just don't want to see people getting hurt :-(
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ....Have no conscience at all and show no mercy (all a bit gladiator?!) - any weakness will be exploited. All the words of my boxing coach from a few years ago....

He sounds a little bit mental.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Crane kick

'No can defence'

<counters with drum technique>

I beg to differ
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ....Have no conscience at all and show no mercy (all a bit gladiator?!) - any weakness will be exploited. All the words of my boxing coach from a few years ago....

He sounds a little bit mental.

You have to be 100% convinced in your abilities before you box - hence the bravado and comments like this. It is the only way to step in the ring, anyone who thought about the impacts of hitting someone would immediately lose.....
  • I'm a lover not a fighter...

One technique that can be usefully employed is to say something completely out of context in response to aggression - it confuses the cr@p out of people.

Something along the lines of:
    Unhappy camper: :twisted: :twisted: "You *!$*! cyclist, I'm going to !£$%&**£ kill you" :twisted: :twisted:
    Me: "Do you know how much I paid for these apples? £2.50 I tell you. £2.50 for 6 apples. I don't even like apples much. Wish I'd bought oranges now...."
    Unhappy camper: :? :? "What the £*&! are you talking about?" :? "Are you mad or something? :?
    Me: "The kids like apples though. Perhaps I could make a crumble?"

Trust me it works...
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • As does feigning a nervous tick and shouting, "Pancakes!" repeatedly.

Unless it is a Tuesday 'cause they might want to Shove you....

Nah, they worry I'm going to batter them.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I pretend I'm talking into a hidden mic and whisper urgently "Code Red Code Red all units to Papa Tango Fifteen"

Nah, they worry I'm going to batter them.

That would scare the crepe out of me...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641

I think I'd flip
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited August 2011

I think I'd flip

Does that make you a T0$$er?

Beat you to it UE :wink:
  • I don't care if they think I'm a tosser.

Edit: Damnit!

All you need to learn is how to give "The Crazy Eyes", and you're set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz4KOBcqG1o
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    You could try smugly pointing out that you have a helmet cam and that the footage will be up on youtube that very night.

That'll calm the situation.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I'm a lover not a fighter...

Didn't work for this guy :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zB5Z3dXPw
  • kelsen wrote:
    I'm a lover not a fighter...

Didn't work for this guy :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zB5Z3dXPw

Maybe I'm a better kisser?
  • MichaelW wrote:
    If you are considering fighting, then dont make it up as you go along, get some training.
    If you are wearing clipless pedal shoes, esp road style, DONT FIGHT.
    :lol::lol::lol:

That made me smile. Visions of attempting elegant mawashi-geri to head followed by "clipless incident". Brilliant :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I'd just ride off. I'm not into violence. Even the sight of other people fighting leaves a bad taste.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I'm a lover not a fighter...

One technique that can be usefully employed is to say something completely out of context in response to aggression - it confuses the cr@p out of people.

Something along the lines of:
    Unhappy camper: :twisted: :twisted: "You *!$*! cyclist, I'm going to !£$%&**£ kill you" :twisted: :twisted:
    Me: "Do you know how much I paid for these apples? £2.50 I tell you. £2.50 for 6 apples. I don't even like apples much. Wish I'd bought oranges now...."
    Unhappy camper: :? :? "What the £*&! are you talking about?" :? "Are you mad or something? :?
    Me: "The kids like apples though. Perhaps I could make a crumble?"

Trust me it works...

This is along the lines of my approach (which I don't have to use a lot since I 'discovered' the art of zen) which is to go all religious on them, thus:
    Me "Jesus loves you" {or insert name of your preferred prophet} {It helps if you can glaze over your eyes a bit here}
    Me: "Eternal life can be yours if you will only accept Jesus into your heart"
    etc etc

Trust me it works.. (A previous life means that I could ramble on with this tosh for at least 30 minutes)
  • 2 x old Billiard Balls in a cloth cash type sack/bag tied off at the top and kept in a quick release pouch in my commute bag.
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    i wore a sleeveless Assos top on the way home last night... didn't get a sniff of attitude, in fact everyone was really very nice

so in summary:
    Get the guns loaded and then cover them in ink (no flowers or shit like that) show them off and you wont need a defence.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    i wore a sleeveless Assos top on the way home last night... didn't get a sniff of attitude, in fact everyone was really very nice

so in summary:
    Get the guns loaded and then cover them in ink (no flowers or shit like that) show them off and you wont need a defence.

Actually, a guy at work has Tattoo sleeve arm-warmers. He says that people are remarkably genial when he wears them. From a distance, they look quite effective.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Clever Pun wrote:
    i wore a sleeveless Assos top

I'm not sure that is acceptable, whatever the reason.

Though by all accounts, I'll be giving you a bye-ball on that one........
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Clever Pun, do you think these will suffice?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Clever Pun wrote:
    i wore a sleeveless Assos top on the way home last night...

harrap-sirdar-man-s-sleeveless-pullover-763-1930s-23-p.jpg

Nothing wrong with that
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Garnett wrote:

Would they look a bit rubbish if they slip down my puny arms?

Got into an argument with a guy in a BMW a while back, next set of lights he got out and walked round to the boot of his car. I kept a close eye. Saw a claw hammer go under his T shirt. I jumped a red light, sorry. I don't stand and fight.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Garnett wrote:
    Actually, a guy at work has Tattoo sleeve arm-warmers. He says that people are remarkably genial when he wears them. From a distance, they look quite effective.

There you go... I don't have below the elbow done as it can be career limiting

It was mental hot last night the sleeveless top was brilliant
    assos-superlight-slvlss-10-zoom.jpg In black natch

Wore it this morning on the brompton.. sent out a few different messages I'm sure
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • You could try smugly pointing out that you have a helmet cam and that the footage will be up on youtube that very night.

That'll calm the situation.

No, it won't. Smugness will annoy your opponent even more and escalate the situation, and the helmet cam will suggest to him that he may want to try his hand at endoscopy on you. Unless you have absolutely no altenative, you should back down and remove yourself from the environment immediately.

If you really have no way out but to fight, a guy who knew a lot more than me about this sort of thing many years ago advised my to walk rapidly forward and punch the opponent in the face as hard as you can manage as soon as he is in reach-do not threaten or square up, just hit him-as if you were trying to hit the rear of his skull through his head. This will prevent your instinct to 'pull' the punch. Your fist will hurt you a lot, but you should knock your opponent down and will probably have broken his nose. While he is down, make your exit. If he doesn't go down, run, as you are now in very serious trouble and the situation is out of your control.

I have only once ever done this, in a bar not on the bike, but it worked.

I have seen nothing in this thread which changes my view that people who wear helmet cameras are actively seeking confrontations that they can post on YouTube. Such folk deserve all they get from where I'm sitting.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

people who wear helmet cameras are actively seeking confrontations that they can post on YouTube. Such folk deserve all they get from where I'm sitting.

Christ, how much tar do you want on that brush? :roll:

I took the "tell them it's on camera" comment as being said sarcastically in any case. I said it in a nother thread, but if the camera is recording what's happened it makes me want to do stuff 'by the book' because I know any mistakes/faults/antagonism on my part is going to be recorded in glorious technicolour. Without the helmet cam I can come on here, spin a yarn and get a load of "the driver was a muppet" comments in support.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."