Any 2010 Boardman Fans still about?

2»

Comments

• chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Hehe, thanks for the pics John... I would consider the black World Cup bars with the same stem in white, reason being the WC colours on the seat-tube :) Where did you get yours?, I notice CRC are doing the Bars for £30 and Wiggle are doing the white stems for £40? :P

I'd love to go all Ti on the bike but so far I haven't found any Red Ti rotor bolts nor the equivalent Red stem bolts... any ideas?

Those grips look IMMENSE! The person that gave you the inspiration for those must be some kind of genius ;) Hehe...

I've just got myself a Black Gobi XM with red wing-flexy bits which I think will look the nuts... Trouble is that It is coming from Austria so will have to send it to a mate in Germany who'll then send it to me :D

More minor weight saving is on the way though, will be getting some Ashima AirRotors in red, will save a measly 30grams each but hey... (and they're red ;) )...
    Weight savings will continue until its has broken the 10kg mark though 8)
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    Ceramic bb and a hope headset would probably get me there. All money though! Mind you, only a week and a half til paydaykv:twisted:

I've tried lightweight rotors too mate, not a fan. I'd rather have brakes that work.

Chris, what would you do to mine next? Seeing as your such a weight weenie! :lol:
  • chrisjnr19
    If you ARE being serious then... There isn't really many things that I can think of doing to it, It's pretty much as nice as it could be in my opinion without spending a massive amount of money, although potentially some lighter tyres e.g. Rocket Ron up front and Furious Fred at the rear, but that will most certainly come at the expense of grip and traction [could save you about half a pound though] (not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination) :P

If I were you I'd spend some of the money from your upcoming paycheck on some bling bits, e.g. Seatpost clamp, SS Brake Hoses and gear cable outers whatever else you can get your hands on that is red and looks bling! ... and do make sure the headset and BB are in red! :D

Such is MY plan after the functional upgrades are done :)

What was it particularly that you disliked about 'lightweight rotors' though, as If I can get some feedback before I buy, it could save me a bit of money ;) Also which did you use?
  • johnsav
    well, ive tried ( and still have in my shed ) some aligator lightweight rotors. Used them for a while with my old carrera carbon and was shocked at how crap they were when i took them off to be replaced with standard avid cleansweep discs.

Just my opinion, but by their very design they dont have as much metal and the braking surface is a much more "open" pattern. As said, just my opinion, but i dont think they brake as efficiently as other more heavy discs.

Also lightweight discs will over heat quicker and have less heat dissipating qualities than heavier discs.
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218
    I put on a fsa k force bar that weighs 110g from the 250g or so standard bar and a super light saddle .i also changed to folding tyres from beaded that saved alot of weight and i put on maxxis flyweight tubes.But i am going to get a chain guide soon that should up the weight :(
    I have just seen some bargain superstar wheels
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=227
    i have dmr v12 peddles that just caused me 9 stitches in my shin :( so i cant ride for a long time
  • jacob2910
    i have ditched the red grips btw
  • j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    This is a beast :) I love boardman, they are kick ass for the money! The red colourscheme looks rude :D
  • chrisjnr19
    John, the Alligator Rotors were they the ones off Superstar or the ones you see on eBay? I may well start a thread on the Ashima AirRotors :P

Ooh, those wheels look very blingy Jacob, get them in Red with Black hubs :D and 350g gram saving over the 2 tonne OCR's so that's nearly another pound shaved, very nice ;)
    Sorry to hear about your V12 accident, sounds like those pedals are gonna get ditched on your recovery ;)

Thanks j96_2 :P , the saddle should be with me by the end of next week and the Chromag will be sent back and should also have been replaced by then :D

What do we think about getting a bit of gold KMC X9 bligyness?...
  • johnsav
    i went for silver, gold is a bit too bling for a chain

yeah they were proper alligator ones. I might try them again to see the difference with my new brakes.

Oddly I've just been eyeing up those ashima AiRotors as well.. very tempted to give them a try considering how light they are.
  • jacob2910
    I went for silver too though when i ordered the x0 cassette they only had red in stock so thats what i got (as this was just before i left on holiday so couldn't wait for black to come back in stock )
  • chrisjnr19
    John, for you ;) >> http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... tried-them ... Some pretty thorough research I think you'll agree :D

I'm not completely giving up on the idea of a gold chain though :(... MAYBE, with some gold Braided SS Brake hoses? That may well just do it...

Ooh and BIG NEWS!, I'll be having my forks replaced under warranty as the rebound adjust has ceased to function correctly and now the forks are what appears to be permanently stuck on 'Tortoise'... very irritating :(
    (The verdict my LBS reached was... "It's pretty much f***ed") Time for a trip to the Local Halfords after an (deliberate) absense of maaany months...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Halfords will offer me the SID RLT's off this year's Pro Carbon (futile I know :D)
  • johnsav
    Haha wishful thinking! No harm in trying though.
    I know seam don't have any 2010 rebas left, but they'll probably just repair them mate.
  • chrisjnr19
    I'm not having Halfords repairing anything of mine mate... Last time they tried to 'repair' my front brake they put the caliper on all wonky so the disk would actually cut against the inside of it when/if the pads were taken out; the pads wore down at a slant and front braking became nigh-on impossible .

In the end they just replaced the caliper as after about a week of 'hardcore braking' (such was what they were trying to insinuate) the disk had virtually pushed the caliper apart. I had the work checked by my LBS afterwards and they STILL had to tinker with it :evil: ...

From that day, I vowed never to let Halfords 'repair' ANY part of my bike again! ;)

Bloody useless they are...
  • johnsav
    sorry i meant SRAM, ( predictive text on my phone! )
    they will probably get sent back to sram tech for repair is what i was getting at chris. I've had it a few times with RS forks .

true enough, some halfords are pretty bad. Not all though
  • chrisjnr19
    Hehe, I hope they don't though; and I haven't given up hope as of yet ;)
    Pretty pointless wishing though... :(

You know, I don't think I'll be getting those Ashima Rotors though, I may get some Hope floating ones (in red obv). I hear they just work better... and I've not heard any complaints from people that have used them.

I know not ALL Halfords are bad, and if you come on the right day, at the right time you MIGHT actually get someone that has a clue as to what he's on about, but by some miracle I haven't had such luck :(

I made a vow after the little brake incident with my Team, that I would never return to Halfords to have any repairs done, Juuust to be on the safe side :D
  • johnsav
    yeah... although
    i do all my work myself - i know its done right that way!
    :lol: ish

im not sure about the brakes either. will probably leave my avid discs on for now and not worry about the 20g of weight saving :roll:
  • Nice. But I am biased though!

IMG_0299_640.jpg
  • chrisjnr19
    johnsav wrote:
    yeah... although
    i do all my work myself - i know its done right that way!
    :lol: ish

im not sure about the brakes either. will probably leave my avid discs on for now and not worry about the 20g of weight saving :roll:

Hehe, to put it simply; I do what I can... If I know the task ahead is out of my depth I'll try to avoid it, and If that means taking it to the LBS (albeit after a few weeks of saying 'I don't need them') then It'll have to be that way :P I say that after the result of some serious bodging on an X7 mech on the ol' Team which ended raaather badly...

Hmm, I think I will get something bling for new rotors... along the lines of SS Floaters or Hope Sawtooth Floating rotors (in red ;) ) I think I will put them close to the bottom of my list though :?

Ohh, that does look pretty sweet Jake; is that a double setup I see there?

How are you finding it... and what made you choose to ditch the 3rd ring...??

Seeing the 'white-stripe' Schwalbe rubber on there reminds me just how good it looks :P... I think that I'll be putting my old Nic and Ralph combo on there next week...
  • Yep 2x9. Not missing the big ring one bit, I hardly ever used it. 36/22 with 11/34 cassette.

Works great.

IMG_0301_640.jpg
  • chrisjnr19
    Ahh, I was thinking of ditching the granny ring as I barely spend any time on it, all the gears that I use in ring 1 overlap to ring 2, so it's of no use :P

Any idea of the weight saving? ;)
  • I haven't weighed the rings or bolts. Will do and report back.
  • chrisjnr19
    Hehe... cheers mate :D
  • chrisjnr19
    edited September 2011
    Right, a few changes over the last month...

Starting with a lovely cabon railed Fizik Gobi XM with RED wing-flexy bits :D:D Curtesy of a mate in Germany...

6073902152_957c99168c_z.jpg
    ooh, arty... 8)

Put my old white striped Nobby Nic, and got a 2011 Tubeless Ready Racing Ralph...

6073820992_fd635d3cb2_z.jpg

6073291185_1faf441277_z.jpg

Some new KCNC chairing bolts (which rather graciously fit :? )
    6073273357_8ddeaacdba_z.jpg

Today wood once more reminded me how dangerous it can be... all that is required are the smallest amounts of water and it immediately becomes a complete deathtrap... absolutely not grip whatsoever, it couldn't be less grippy if you covered it with a mixture of grease and Lurpak :(

6073311431_03a03ea61f_z.jpg

Some more arty shots... :)

6073841310_733e23b835_z.jpg
    Jolly nice tree...

6073846014_08ff59a576_z.jpg
    This turned out sh!t ^ :(

6073822860_2301a8975e_z.jpg

A normal shot of the saddle

6073839094_2982dfdf88_z.jpg

Et mon préféré...

6073834438_8012b4cd56_z.jpg

Oh, and a rather lurvely weight saving of 196 grams from putting the tyres and the new saddle on :)

And John you were right, :shock: I did get my weighing wrong to start with, but this time (on accusation that my scales were shite ;) ) I asked my LBS to weigh it for me...
    It comes to 10.51 kg which equates to 23.17 lbs, and would go closer to the 23 lb mark with my XT SPD's :D

Methinks the golden 10kg mark should be easily broken with new wheels and finishing kit... so the future is bright, and very 'light' ;)
  • johnsav
    good good!
    I'll have an update on mine soon too as I've just gone sub 10 :D . you have PM