Any 2010 Boardman Fans still about?

chrisjnr19
chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
edited August 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Right, It's about time I posted my ride on here after commenting etc for a while now. It's chief use at the moment is commuting for about 3 days a week but have done a few races over the last couple of months and its not done too badly.

A few upgrades added over the process of the few months I've had it, but a lickle bit of history first, since getting back into Mtb'ing about 3 years ago after an absence of many years being busy roadie-ing, I got myself a rather pretty Cube Attention which I loved so much that I ran it into the ground with as much as no upgrades. On more than one occasion I felt strangley inadequate on the trails mainly on the fork front so I treated myself to a Boardman HT Team last Feb which was all the bike that I ever needed at the time, and for once I could really 'motor' uphills. In the midst of all the Boardman sales earlier this year a fellow rider offered me quite a nice sum of money for it. I thought: "Why not" and parted with it in May this year. I was plannning to get myself a nice Carbon Whippet frame and build this up, but after riding a mates for about a week I was kind of put off it as I found the carbon a bit 'flexy' (if that makes sense). That made me realise that there was nothing really wrong with the Boardman frame so I decided to get myself a 2010 HT through rather complicated means that I am too tired to divulge. :wink:

I think I must me one of the few people that have re-fitted their reflectors, I apologise to all you reflector-haters but I do find them useful especially when I come home late :P

1st Arrival: Charge Spoon and a Set of X0 shifters (LH pictured)

5967228531_bd7bfa9a49_z.jpg

2nd Arrival: Superstar Nano Tech Flats (Red)

5967788114_ba7798cc9f_z.jpg

3rd Arrival: Superstar Supagripa Lock-Ons (After many irritating months of waiting for them to come back in stock)

4th Arrival: Red Chainring bolts (Which Don't fit :( )

5967234975_714d575a92_z.jpg

5th Arrival: Red Superstar Carbon-Ti Skewers (Curtesy of Stephen :D)

All together:

5986953973_6bba802966_b.jpg

The Spec (for the moment):

Frame: Boardman "Ultralight super butted race spec aluminium" frame in 20"
Forks:2010 RockShox Reba Race with external Floodgate, 100mm
Bars: Ritchey Pro Rizer OS 31.8mm
Stem: Ritchey Pro OS 31.8mm
Headset: FSA Orbit with cartridge bearings
Grips: Superstar Supagripa (Black and Red)
Bar Ends: Superstar Bar ends (Red)

Front Brake Lever: Avid Elixir R (carbon lever)
Front Caliper:Avid Elixir R
Front disc: Avid G3 Cleansweep 6 bolts Rotor
Rear Brake Lever: Avid Elixir R (carbon lever)
Rear Caliper: Avid Elixir R
Rear Disc: Avid G3 Cleansweep 6 bolt Rotor
Hoses: Standard Avid Hoses
Shifters: SRAM X0 LH, and SRAM X9 RH
Cables: It says 'Jagwire' on them :P
Front Mech: SRAM X9
Rear Mech: SRAM X0
Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: Ritchey Pro 27.2mm
Seat Post Clamp: Having to settle for the standard one due to a major mess-up on my part :oops:
Cranks: Truvativ Stylo GXP 3.3
Chainring(s): Truvativ (?)
Chain: SRAM PC951 Chain
Cassette: SRAM PG950
Pedals: Supestar Nano Tech Flats (Red)
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ GXP

Rim: Ritchey WCS Disc 32 Hole
Spokes: ?
Hub: Crappy Ritchey cartridge bearing thing
Tube: Continental Supersonic
Tire: Continental Speed King 2.1 (Have at Nobby Nic standing by when I get the time to get on the trails again)
Rim: Ritchey WCS Disc 32 Hole
Spokes: ?
Hub: Ritchey thing
Tube: Continental Supersonic
Tire: Conti Speed King 2.1 (Have a Racing Ralph that I am 'saving for later')

Weight: On my relatively accurate scale; 10.45 kg (equates to about 23.03 lbs)
The aim is to have it below 10kg when I've finished, should be easily achieved with new wheels and some carbon bits here and there (I'm thinking all carbon finishing kit?)

Pics:
On the hill by the river :)
5991832190_ac07e1fcdc_z.jpg

A local Church door after a wedding :P
5991287309_7debdcfea7_z.jpg

Superstar Grips...
5991851332_d4f82680f4_z.jpg

X0-ey :)
5991297713_266ab98fc1_z.jpg

X9-ey :(
5991299981_7f03124ce5_z.jpg

Hmmm, arty bars ;)
5991301647_5c8847bd2a_z.jpg

Charge Spoon...
5991860784_3584e26a3c_z.jpg

From the back..
5991864500_a65e7baef2_z.jpg

What do you think? :D

Comments

• specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Pics courtesy of JJ Abrams lol.

Seriously though it looks the biz! Bet you can freewheel uphill on that!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Looks lovely, and X0, hmmm. :D
  • chrisjnr19
    Specialeyes Hehe, tis very much so; btw I am liking the looks of your Hardrock I see some very smart upgrades there too :D...

getonyourbike Yeah, I just need the X9 to break now so I can avoid the faff of taking it off to replace it with the X0 which will inevitably also break after which I will have to replace it back with the X9 :P (lazy I know)

And thanks a lot chaps :) , It really is riding like a dream at the moment I can't wait to get off the local paths etc and get onto the trails again (next Sat hopefully). I appreciate the kind comments :D...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Good bike
    Well specced
    Looks 8)
    - I like it.

I have a Boardman as a commuter so I'm just a bit biased :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Very tidy indeed.
  • neon_neon
    neon_neon Posts: 83
    Very nice indeed - used to have a 2010 comp myself - great bikes

(Take the reflectors off the wheels though :twisted: !!)
  • chrisjnr19
    edited August 2011
    Thank you very much everyone, means a lot :D

neon_neon, They will be taken off in the coming week in preparation for a weekend of trails :)
  • TQ
    TQ Posts: 15
    Weren't the white ones the "womens" edition in 2010? :P

I have my 2010 Comp still, only changed it a little bit out the box.

Schwalbe rubber all round, Hope QR for the seatpost and recently some Shimano M540 SPDs.

Will be getting some better brakes next I think, but it rides well out the box so I've not wanted to change it much.
  • chrisjnr19
    Boardman did make some white womens bikes in 2010 but they had hints of pink and Recons... none of which are present on mine :D
    Main.jpg
    This was the womens... ^^

Main.jpg

And this is mine^^

Unless this was some kind of ploy to cause trouble :P

I sent my Hope QR back upon reciept in favour of a Salsa Flip-lock. I too have a bit of Schwalbe rubber (NN's and RR's) lying about but am using the Speed Kings as my road tyres atm...
    Comps had Juicy's right? why not get yourself some Elixir 5's off the classifieds, I hear they are just as good as the R and CR models...
  • TQ
    TQ Posts: 15
    Yeah it has the Juicy 3's all round, Recon SL, X7 rear mech and X5 front. Am looking for some better brakes, but the Elixirs always get mixed reviews.

Been using Nobby Nic Evo 2.25" in the rear and Fat Albert up front! Wasn't getting enough traction with the Ralph, but might be easier now I am using SPDs.

The Speed Kings were mega fast, but lacking in grip and didn't fill me with confidence.
  • chrisjnr19
    I got you on the lack of grip mate, but they're decent on the roads I guess :) NN's and RR's may be going on this week, but may 'preserve' them until Sept.

I got myself some XT SPD's from CRC last week, they seem great quality but I've gotten used to the Nano's so won't be getting back on the SPD's until it gets slippy.

I find the Elixirs decent, but not great... I've tried better in the shape of R1's on a mate's Whippet but I neither do have any complaints, not sure if the bike 'needs' (I use that term tentatively) the likes of R1's.

You could try looking at lower down in the Formula range for some K18 or K24 Oros, they've been getting consitently good reviews from testers aswell as other forum members. Alternatively the Shimano M595 also score very highly in reviews and are supposedly very reliable :P
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Looks great mate, love white bikes!
  • chrisjnr19
    Thanks old chap, and me too! ;)
    Your Cube is looking pretty nice now aswell especially with the Reba Teams, the same year's model as my old Attention I believe :D.

Lovely bikes they are, Cubes :D
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    looking good chris!

bet mine is lighter mind... :wink:
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    That's a nice bike bro' - I have a 2010 Boardman Pro CX in white, with after market white SKS mudguards, and I f******g love it! It really does go anywhere.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Lovely bikes they are, Cubes :D[/quote]

Couldn't agree more; haven't had an off-roader but on my third Cube road bike and they are all superb....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • chrisjnr19
    johnsav wrote:
    looking good chris!

bet mine is lighter mind... :wink:

Hehe thanks, just you wait til' I have my SID's mate ;)

Raymondo Thanks mate! , I'd have loved to get a Cube this time but the Boardman's value was just too good to miss out on again...

I'm currently planning a commuter/sort-of CX bike build, based on a circa 4lb Mtb frame, in an attempt to use up some parts from my slowly overflowing spares box. I'll try to get it around the 24-25lb mark which should be easily achievable even with the slightly chunky bits and bobs along with one of those carbon forks by eXotic :)

Just need to decide on a frame...
  • chrisjnr19
    In an attempt to try and experiment with some seatclamps I got myself a couple:

A Salsa Flip-Lock...
    6007880923_561837cd7a_z.jpg

And a Red Chromag Clamp (allegedly the best on the market)...
    6008430308_c6b8f8bc25_z.jpg

Either way, I won't know as I made a massive measuring c*ck-up and ordered the wrong sizes (30.0mm instead of 31.8 ) :oops: ...

Both will be in the classifieds soon, should anyone be interested :)
  • johnsav
    whoopsy
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Surely you can just exchange them for the right size? :?
  • chrisjnr19
    edited August 2011
    johnsav wrote:
    whoopsy

Indeedy :P

EDIT: and getonyourbike, I can't send them back and exchange as the 7 day return period is kinda up :(
  • chrisjnr19
    This mornings ride, Juust before the camera battery ran out :(

6011476640_0d7acfb76a_z.jpg
  • johnsav
    think your scales are wrong chris!

just weighed mine and its 22.5...
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218
    my 2010 team is 10.3kg and with a hope wheel soon
  • johnsav
    its not standard then
  • chrisjnr19
    John, Come on mate; with the Crests, better/lighter brakes AND SID's, not to mention the generally lighter assortment of components and you ONLY save 200 grams... Poor effort mate ;)

Oh and post some pics of the of the Sylo World Cup front end mate, I'm very tempted by a white stem and black bar combo ;)

Jacob that is quite impressive for a Team, the Ritchey OCR wheels which if I am bot mistaken weigh a couple of kilos. If I remember correctly mine ended up being about 10.8-ish kg (did'nt feel like I could do any more about that). Also ditching those hideous red grips is guaranteed to improve speed by about 25% ;) Let me know how you get on with the Hope Hoops aswell, which rims were you planning on getting?

Looking at the spec list of your Team though, nothing (apart from the 1x9) strikes me as having shed 'that' amount of weight; What's your secret? :D and how are you getting on with the 1x9?...

Btw, new wheels to come either in October/November or around Feb depending on whether I can hold out for my iPad 2 :D (It's looking like I can!)

I'm thinking American Classics as they seem like a reasonable price and offer a 450-500 gram saving on the current set of Ritcheys, which IMO is very impressive for a set of £350 wheels... (also in an attempt to buck the Stans ZTR Crest/Flow trend ;) )
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jacob2910 wrote:
    my 2010 team is 10.3kg and with a hope wheel soon

Your boardman weighs 22lbs? Got any pics of it on the scales to show that as that seems ruddy light.

Oh and Chris, the American Classics are awesome, but in terms of performance they're as good as crests on hopes. I personally prefer my ACs ever so slightly to the Crests but thats purely a looks thing and the fact you dont see many of them around ;)
  • johnsav
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    John, Come on mate; with the Crests, better/lighter brakes AND SID's, not to mention the generally lighter assortment of components and you ONLY save 200 grams... Poor effort mate ;)

Oh and post some pics of the of the Sylo World Cup front end mate, I'm very tempted by a white stem and black bar combo ;)

200 grams over what?

one thing worth a mention, my scales are accurate. yours probably arent! There's alot of bull regarding weight etc.. Not calling you a big fat fibber or anything, but i doubt yours weighs 23lb in its current guise, it was a 24lb bike as standard.

Il take some pics tomorrow..
  • chrisjnr19
    Hehe, I meant 200 grams over my own! :D Was intended as a joke not a dig old chap ;)

I'll try and get some pics of it on the scales though, I'm pretty sure that they're quite accurate... Not the most advanced by any means but certainly accurate enough to distinguish 10.9 from 10.5kg :?

and thanks Briggo, I think it is the looks of the American Classics that really draws me to them, the weight is a massive bonus. And might I add, they look sweet on your Whyte :)

Any downsides to them as of yet?
  • johnsav
    wasnt saying you cant read your scales ya plum... :wink:

in any case, when you get down to these sort of weights its difficult to make massive savings - every little counts and all that. Just weighed mine again without the rear light on and its now 22.4 lb. light enough for me!

here she is, just put a new fizik saddle on. Plus a titanium conversion kit for my seat post and a set of ti bolts for the rotors. all helps! :lol: also gained some inspiration from you chris and kinda got some similar grips :lol:

DSCF2237.jpg

DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2239.jpg

DSCF2241.jpg