Finally, got the Beast back!

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Well i got the Wolfridge back finaly, it only took them a month!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: i sent it away to have the forks fixed as they were leaking oil everywhere, it was on the stanchions and it poured out of the + airvalve on the top of the stanchion.

The front mech was badly out of tune and the bike wasnt shifting very well on the rear either, the original brakes had blistering on the cylinders so i found out :roll: , i was asked to send pictures of the damage then never heard a single reply about it, they took 4 weeks to get the bike back to me and they still never managed to set the front mech up propperly :roll: :roll: i took it a blast tonight after i bled the brakes i upgraded the bike with, i had asked the company where i sent the bike back to if they would do it, out of courtisy for me not having the bike on my time off.....yup, they never done that either :?

so 4 weeks, crap customer service in the fact that they hardly replied to polite emails, not even an applology for the inconvenience. the forks got sent to SRAM, looks like they fixed the leak, i had read that pikes had a common fault, something to do with the O-ring. So the foks were returned within 2 weeks and another 2 weeks i got the bike back, the forks were knocking a bit, SRAM said they would settle and knocking would go away, im glad to say it has!........ but, i keep wiping the stanchions and this keeps appearing, its only been a short ride so this too might stop but i dont know, do any of you guys know if this is likely to stop? take a look at this
DSC00859.jpg

But even thought the front mech still isnt 100% and the fact im not too keen on the Formula Oro's yet, did i have fun on the short DH singletrack?............Bloody right i did!!!!, i had a grin from ear to ear and chuckled all the way back into town, i was going faster than i normally do on my HT, mainly because my eyes werent going blurry, hell yeah it was fun, i hope all the niggles sort their selfs out, i cant wait to hit the trails on it :D:D
My new Shimano AM flats shoes ticked all the right boxes, stick like the proverbial to a blanket, great for climbs because of this, they are comfy, have a lace cover and ankle protection, i hope they fair as well in the wet! On the DH they felt great :)

I dropped the saddle for the small DH track and went hell for leather, its good to have it back........yes this was actually the first time getting to use it and ive had it for 6 weeks :roll: here it is, my new(ish) toy, i love it so far!
DSC00861.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The foam wipers come filled with oil - it wipes onto the stanchions. The rings you see are that and dirt lifted from the seals. That amount is normal.

Did they say they would set the mechs up if you sent it away for a fork service?
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Never owned a FS and tbh in the immediate future don't plan to but MY GOD I fancy a go on that!!! Hope all your probs are fixed now, that is one nice bike.... :D
  • supafly1982
    supersonic wrote:
    The foam wipers come filled with oil - it wipes onto the stanchions. The rings you see are that and dirt lifted from the seals. That amount is normal.

Did they say they would set the mechs up if you sent it away for a fork service?

yes matey, its all under warrenty, the mechanic "fixed" the mech by altering the limit screws, now i can build a bike no probs if its componants im familure with but this is a bottom swing mech and i dont want to tamper with it incase it voids them sorting it, not that i want to send it away again, but i will send them an email regarding the issue.

Yeah i know they are filled with foam, thats why i was just hoping that the excess stuff from the leak is ridding its self on the stanchions till the foam wipers have the correct amount, this pic was taken after the ride, before the ride it was a ring of clean oil, as you can see its more on the side that the air valves are on (looking at it, on your left) and this is the one that was leaking badly.

Cheers Fenred :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are not going to void the warranty adjusting the mech. It may need the cable tension tweaking. What is the problem with it?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    To be honest, the front mech is something that you REALLY need to learn to do yourself. Unless you're physically disassembling it then you're not going to void a warranty. Do you really want to be sending the bike somewhere every time the front/rear mech needs setting up? It's just a case of setting the limit screws and the cable tension. Especially considering you've had it for six weeks, it's probably literally just that the mech was set up properly brand new and the cable has stretched because you've actually been using it. Turn the barrel adjuster clockwise (wind it out) a bit, should sort it out.

Fork looks fine, that's what happens when the seals are well lubricated and then you get dirt on them... I think you're being a wee bit fussy.

And to be honest, you've done well to get avid juicies replaced by formulas!!

nice bike anyway, i really wanted one of those frames
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    ilovedirt wrote:
    He stuck them on himself :wink: Like I've said before, Scott. It's a lovely looking bike and must be a ball full of fun on the downhills.
  • supafly1982
    edited July 2011
    ilovedirt wrote:
    To be honest, the front mech is something that you REALLY need to learn to do yourself. Unless you're physically disassembling it then you're not going to void a warranty. Do you really want to be sending the bike somewhere every time the front/rear mech needs setting up? It's just a case of setting the limit screws and the cable tension. Especially considering you've had it for six weeks, it's probably literally just that the mech was set up properly brand new and the cable has stretched because you've actually been using it. Turn the barrel adjuster clockwise (wind it out) a bit, should sort it out.

Fork looks fine, that's what happens when the seals are well lubricated and then you get dirt on them... I think you're being a wee bit fussy.

nice bike anyway, i really wanted one of those frames

stuck brakes on my self. as said i can build a HT no problem, never used a bottom swing before, learning to sort new mechanisms does not bother me, im a mechanic, i just didnt want to arse about with the bike since its nsupposed to of been fixed, why should i have to do it?? i paid enough for te bike and the service that comes with it, as for the forks, you never seen the amount of oil that was pissing out of it before :roll: :roll: :roll: hence my queery......fussy i think not fella, im bloody well entitled to be having spent that sort of cash and not being able to ride it for 6 weeks
  • supafly1982
    forgot to add,

supersonic, its just the norm for a badly set up front mech, rubbing in certain gears, ones it shouldnt be rubbing in.
  • ilovedirt
    why should i have to do it??
    Because as you have discovered, you can't rely on other people to do it the majority of the time unless you're actually paying them to do it specifically (especially if it's halfords). Learning to do it yourself will take very little time and effort, much less than sending it elsewhere to have it done.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Ive got the same forks on my Wolf Ridge and mine did the same, the oil leaked out through the top after i left the bike on its side in the car.

I didnt send them to Sram/Fishers for the reasons you describe above, instead I coughed up and sent them to TF Tuned, got them back in 5 days, sorted, serviced and silky smooth. I wouldnt trust anyone else with my suspension nowadays.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • supafly1982
    Tim.s wrote:
    Ive got the same forks on my Wolf Ridge and mine did the same, the oil leaked out through the top after i left the bike on its side in the car.

I didnt send them to Sram/Fishers for the reasons you describe above, instead I coughed up and sent them to TF Tuned, got them back in 5 days, sorted, serviced and silky smooth. I wouldnt trust anyone else with my suspension nowadays.

wish i had known that at the time, how much did that skin you if you dont mind me asking? and what do you think of the bike?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the bike is shite :wink::lol:
  • Tim.s
    About a ton I think, something like that.

Im fond of mine too, mines a 2008 model one of the first ones. Ive had it from new and its been very reliable. Ive upgraded the wheels and brakes as well as a couple of other small things. Its the one bike that I will probably never part with as it suits my riding very well and does pretty much everything resonably well.

Ive used it for a few Enduros and its never let me down even when caked in mud, its a pretty nifty mini downhiller too when the need arises. All in all Ive been very pleased with it.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Tim.s

Better welding than an Orange 5. :D
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    Tim.s wrote:

Better welding than an Orange 5. :D
    I have a wolfridge - it's awesomes! But mine is black, so it's better!
  • Tim.s
    Its scientifififififfifififically proven (i think) that Blue and Orange ones are faster than Black ones because black paint is heavier.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    well, black is definitely heavier. The blacker the something is, the more mass it has, obviously. That's how black holes work. you don't get Orange or Blue holes do you?

So, since mine is heavier, it goes down hills better :D
  • Tim.s
    Probably not
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • supafly1982
    :lol::lol::lol: mental
  • ilovedirt
    Lies. Everyone knows red is fastest. Why else are Ferraris nearly always red?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supafly1982
    what about red go faster stripes, on a black bike?
  • Tim.s
    Nobody would be able to handle such a machine.

Not even the Athertons.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    Tim.s wrote:

Not even the Athertons.
    The truth about Dan's crash is.
    Hmm, I really shouldn't say this, I was sworn to secrecy. Oh sod it, he's better now.

The real reason Dan crashed is because he tried to ride such a bike.

There, I said it.
  • Tim.s wrote:

Not even the Athertons.
    The truth about Dan's crash is.
    Hmm, I really shouldn't say this, I was sworn to secrecy. Oh sod it, he's better now.

The real reason Dan crashed is because he tried to ride such a bike.

There, I said it.

woah! im glad i never bought one!
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    Scott had his Marin out on the Kirroughtree trails last night for the very first time...rain was pi55ing down the whole way round the red route... he even had one nasty off (man and machine were not in perfect harmony at that point in time... :lol::lol::lol: )

All in all we had a blast and Scott was fairly ripping up the trails at a rate of knots.. he even stated that he has never done the trails as fast as he had done with the Marin.... he is now a full suss convert....

cheers bud... was a cracking rideout and the banter was first class.. I have never laughed nor enjoyed a run out so much.... can't wait until we hit the off piste rooty sections :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

002_861.jpg

001_115.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Davy-g wrote:
    he even stated that he has never done the trails as fast as he had done with the Marin.... he is now a full suss convert....
    hehe, I know the feeling. When I first started riding mine, I was going so much faster over everything that y usual braking points were WAAAAY to late, sending me flying off into the bushes repeatedly, much to the amusement of all around - and me, I was in fits of laughter :lol:
  • yeah man, it was a wicked ride, looking forward to the black tomorrow :D will have to be a bit more careful i think a i was just charging through everything instead of picking my lines :lol: i love how it grips throwing it into the corners what a feeling!
  • Tim.s
    Damn, theres us gushing over how fantooting our bikes are and look whats just happened to mine!!!

IMG_8661.jpg

Im off to order an Orange 5.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Anonymous
    How the farking fark? :shock:
    I'd wait a bit before ordering the Orange 5. I hear next year's model is going to be bringing in some big changes!

:lol: