F1 is dead to me

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Has anyone watched foreign TV? When you put it that way even ITV looks good.

yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    bails87 wrote:
    I like the BBC the way it is TBH, I'd rather it stayed relatively trustworthy and unbiased, as well as making better stuff than (sh)ITV.

Has anyone watched foreign television?! :wink:

BBC unbiased? Yea, right.... their news broadcasts are most certainly not
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    I like the BBC the way it is TBH, I'd rather it stayed relatively trustworthy and unbiased, as well as making better stuff than (sh)ITV.

Has anyone watched foreign television?! :wink:

BBC unbiased? Yea, right.... their news broadcasts are most certainly not

You're best buddies with people who think apartheid is a spiffing idea, so our definitions of unbiased may be a little different. :wink:

What do the BBC do that's so biased then?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    FFS it was bad enough when F1 was on ITV and they kept interupting the race with adverts. I really enjoy the BBC coverage, this news really has pissed me off for the day.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I love the way they try to be unbiased, tokens, fleeting comment(s) from the 'other side'.

Makes me laugh.
  • nicklouse
    “It isn’t possible that F1 could go on to pay-TV, we wouldn’t want to do that,” - Bernie Ecclestone in earlier this month

http://www.formula1fancast.com/2011/07/ ... ble-claims
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    bails87

me old mukka, the truth is the BBC is a body that has come under growing scrutiny in recent times and yes I want an unbiased media, I don't see how it can be prevented, especially in sport. With the right legislation which prevented companies seeking golden handcuff type deals to block rivals and a ban on advertising monopolies, you could generate income with a degree of fairness. I mean say you had Nike MOTD, Nike would be unable to broker a deal to block Adidas/puma whatever advertising on other sportsand would also be barred from partnering a huge block of sports too.

Also it could be checked for conflict of interest eg Ford Top Gear a no no as a car review show being sponsored by a car firm could be seen as biased, although a more loosely associated brand such as Halfords would be acceptable. It could also be checked for ethical suitability eg no Durex Zingzillas or Escape to the country with the Taliban.

I'd love the BBC to remain as it is but the way media broadcast has evolved, it needs to do something to help it remain competitive, otherwise it's influence and quality is going to be impinged upon by independant broadcasters. Schools and councils have commercial partnerships despite being funded by my tax, why can't the BBC be given a leg up by the same, regulated means?
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    so to watch F1 next year it will cost at least £381 and upto £504 if you want HD.

No way Mr. M.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Gazlar wrote:
    I don't understand why advertising on the beeb in some way is such a no no if it's done in such a way that it doesn't mean ad breaks.
    Impartiality is lost (or at least diminished) once you start taking money from corporates and lobbing their name all over your products.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Gazlar
    nicklouse wrote:
    so to watch F1 next year it will cost at least £381 and upto £504 if you want HD.

No way Mr. M.

like I say, support your local pub with sky sports facilities (although in your case Nicklouse that may or may not be an option)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    Gazlar wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

No way Mr. M.

like I say, support your local pub with sky sports facilities (although in your case Nicklouse that may or may not be an option)

it has been payable over for a while now but the commentators are so poor it would be a joke if it was not for real.

But yes a pub in town some times shows it if there is nothing else on.
  • Gazlar
    edited July 2011
    Daz555 wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I don't understand why advertising on the beeb in some way is such a no no if it's done in such a way that it doesn't mean ad breaks.
    Impartiality is lost (or at least diminished) once you start taking money from corporates and lobbing their name all over your products.

So they do it the back door way and sponsor an event which means the BBC are obliged to broadcast coverage if "The Toyota World Matchplay Golf" or results from the "Barclays Premier League" and get nothing in return. Now the BBC aren't going to stop televising anything branded like this so why not get on board?

Quick addition. As long as the broadcast isn't used to positively highlight or review that brands product or defame a competitor, in my opinion it's not bias. I don't watch Gillette Soccer Saturday and think, oh Sky sports are biased towards the Gillette and all they stand for I think Gillette make razors, I might try a gillette one next time I buy one. If Wilkinson Sword advertise on another programme then I think the same.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    The BBC don't advertise in the UK, but they do elsewhere
    Watch the BBC World channel in another country and there are ads! Even the BBC News site has banner ads when viewed from abroad.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Gazlar wrote:
    Durex Zingzillas or Escape to the country with the Taliban.

Now thats a whole new thread :lol:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Gazlar wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

No way Mr. M.

This was how I got into it in the first place, My dad used to drag my brother and I down to the sports pavillion and made to sit quietly watching the F1, oh how i hated eating all those sweets/crisps/chocolate while drinking shandy :wink:

Well i may have to follow suit and drag my kids down to the..........er well somewhere where they'll be showing it? No i cant because every dick and his wife wants to watch 22 gay men running around a field after a little white ball and fall over as soon as anyone else comes close! Pah.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I watched the F1 in another country last year and while the video feeds are the same for all broadcasters the peripheral stuff just makes you appreciate the beeb all the more. Think Brudle is out of contract at the end of the year as well and losing him from the beebs team would be a big blow.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    clamps81 wrote:
    I watched the F1 in another country last year and while the video feeds are the same for all broadcasters the peripheral stuff just makes you appreciate the beeb all the more.
    Hell yes.
    The same could be said of the World Rally championship (which is now sattelite-only too :roll: )
    Dave's coverage of it was peculiar, but they captured a great essence of excitement. Motors TV makes is as dull as XC racing. You can actually pay, to get ESPN, which has much better quality coverage, and footage, but it seems Motors only gets shoddy seconds.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Well i may have to follow suit and drag my kids down to the..........er well somewhere where they'll be showing it? No i cant because every dick and his wife wants to watch 22 gay men running around a field after a little white ball and fall over as soon as anyone else comes close! Pah.

Instead of watching 24 gay men driving round in a circle?
  • VWsurfbum
    Andy wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

Nothing gay about racing on deaths door!
    But hugging and kissing gay men in shorts, thats a different story.
    a bit like your dancing on ice :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Andy
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

MotoGP is way more dangerous. F1 is like a gay version of it basically.
  • VWsurfbum
    Andy wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

MotoGP is way more dangerous. F1 is like a gay version of it basically.
    :wink::lol: you just like seeing blokes in tight leather outfits! :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    I'd rather see his avatar (Taylor swift if I'm not mistaken) in a tight leather outfit.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i think its a fooking disgrace!! its all very well and good suggesting going to the pub and watching it, but have sky forgotten what other major sporting event happens on a saturday and sunday .... oh yes the bleeding premier league :evil: the likely hood of a pub showing the F1 over Manchester rovers vs chelski is about as likely as susan boyle appearing on the front over of playboy ... it just aint gonna happen. why the fark cant people just leave things that work and provide a great service alone!! :shock:
  • Anonymous
    lawman, Sky does not, under any circumstance, care that you can't go to a pub to watch the F1.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman, Sky does not, under any circumstance, care that you can't go to a pub to watch the F1.

im sure i speak for the majority of people who refuse to own/cant afford sky, surely the better option would be for the BBC to have the main rights, no one is gonna go out and buy a sky box just to watch F1, sure its great for those with sky, but what about those that dont? i imagine the viewing figures will drop dramatically on current levels and sky wont see out they're contract, theyve gone too far with buying everything under the sporting sun and no matter how many bloody channels they have, they are essentially creating competiton in house between whether you watch football or F1 ... :roll:
  • Andy
    I'd rather see his avatar (Taylor swift if I'm not mistaken) in a tight leather outfit.

taylor_swifts_sexy_london_look.jpg

Best I can do
  • VWsurfbum
    lawman
    thats a good point, GP wont be on SS1 it will be pushed down to 4or5 or whatever because acrington stanley are playing borough :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    Andy wrote:

taylor_swifts_sexy_london_look.jpg

Best I can do
    is she in Jay's year at school?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    lawman wrote:

im sure i speak for the majority of people who refuse to own/cant afford sky, surely the better option would be for the BBC to have the main rights
    Hell, I HAVE sky (although I don't have sky sports), and have zero interest in F1, but I still agree with you on that.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Zero interest in the actual cars going round but you must at least appreciate the technology?!