Helmet Camera

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I've asked this before but where can I get a decent quality helmet camera for a reasonable price?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    The only two i have heard of is the GoPro Hd Heros and the Contours.

The GoPro's look to be between 200-300 depending upon the model.

Contours are slightly cheaper, but that depends on how much you want to spend because a few hundred quid is still a fair bit of money.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Depends what you mean by good quality. Are you after something small enough to be unnoticed? Or full HD dude see how much air I got youtube quality?

As far as I can tell, if you want tiny, go for that little Muvici matchbox shaped one or one of the Camsports bullet cameras. But small tends to mean a bi inconvenient to operate, as far as I can tell and shorter battery life.

I confess I bought a Camsports one in a fit of pique after being run off the road and then verbally abused by a cabbie (who had a fare with him at the time....) but in reality they are a bit of fun for videoing daredevil descents on the weekend ride and so on. If you are going to work, how many fiddly little gadgets do you really want to bother with?

No I didn't the camera with me when I was hit by that car in May.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    I've just bought one of these, I'm just awaiting a memory card to be delivered so I can start using it...

Some footage of the camera being tested can be seen here :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... _id=110355

I've got one of those. The quality is enough to see what's going on and get car reg's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9QOAJISEJo

The viewing angle isn't as wide as a Go Pro or Contour, and the quality is obviously worse, but it's a twentieth of the price :wink:

It's actually pretty easy to use, just the one button, I leave it on 'standby' so the time and date is stored constantly, no need to reset it. I press the button once to bring it out of standby, once more to start recording and then once more at the end of the trip to stop recording. It auto-deletes videos when the SD card is full, so I just recharge it through the mains and don't bother clearing the card.

The battery is pretty good, I got 2 hours out of it, it still hadn't run out but I was using it the next day so recharged it. I had an MD80/Muvi clone and the battery on that (two of them actually) was useless, 30 mins at best, typically 15 mins.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Paging Jeremy Rundle to the thread!

Don't bother getting an MD80 clone. Cheap, but the video quality isn't great and (as Bails said) unless your commute is less than 15 minutes you probably won't get it all recorded.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I can't complain about my Contour 1080p - not much change out of £200 of course but using it has shown me:
      my shortcomings on the bike (which are not as rare as I would like) stuff I've missed; you would be amazed at how many things are going on around you that you simply don't see VERY clear footage of the events I have captured a chance to analyse events to see what I could've done differently

worth the money in my opinion
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I was thinking that. Will he have to get an Airzound or two as well?
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    I use the Muvi Veho, £35 ish. Quality not too bad, obviously not HD but it fits nicely in one of the front holes on the Spesh helmet. Battery life over 3 hours but recording size is limited unless you upgrade to an 8Gb card. I can get 3 hours footage with that.
  • bails87
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Don't bother getting an MD80 clone. Cheap, but the video quality isn't great and (as Bails said) unless your commute is less than 15 minutes you probably won't get it all recorded.

That's why you need 8 of them, set them off in sequence and you get 2 hours worth of filiming. :D
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I was thinking that. Will he have to get an Airzound or two as well?

I've got an Airzound on my winter commuter. Its so slow (or rather, I am so slow on it) that I fell a little safer having it there. No need for it if I can keep up with the flow of traffic.

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    stuj15 wrote:
    I use the Muvi Veho, £35 ish. Quality not too bad, obviously not HD but it fits nicely in one of the front holes on the Spesh helmet. Battery life over 3 hours but recording size is limited unless you upgrade to an 8Gb card. I can get 3 hours footage with that.

Muvi Veho is identical to the £7 eBay MD80s knocking about, so if you're looking at those then you can save a bundle.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    dhope wrote:
    stuj15 wrote:

Muvi Veho is identical to the £7 eBay MD80s knocking about, so if you're looking at those then you can save a bundle.

It's really, really not.
    MTB/CX

• stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    bails87 wrote:
    dhope wrote:

It's really, really not.

Yeh, only in size maybe. Plus if anything goes wrong I can't see Mr Chan taking any returns. :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    bails87 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    stuj15 wrote:

It's really, really not.

Pretty sure the output on both is near identical, same res, no discernible difference in quality.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    The output may be the same, but maybe the battery (and especially the protection against overcharging) is better?

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think Gaz545 or Origamist have some good kit for this kind of thing.
  • EKE_38BPM
    The father-to-be DDD said 'reasonable price' in his OP.
    I think Gaz's set up (at least two HD cameras) would be a bit pricey for the newly frugal DDD.

Broadcast quality cameras give great resolution, but you pay for it and is a bit of overkill for a ride to work IMHO.

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    cloggsy wrote:
    I've just bought one of these, I'm just awaiting a memory card to be delivered so I can start using it...

Interesting, how do you mount it? I'm trying to find one I can attach discretely to my handlebars which the attachments for the contourhd definitely aren't..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm looking at spending under £100.

I'm liking the look of this:

http://www.chinavasion.com/sports-actio ... /cvngdc33/

Thanks to the person who suggested it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cloggsy
    DonDaddyD wrote:

C'est moi :D

Mine got here in 4 days from China too 8)

My memory card arrived today too, so I'll be going out for a play later...
  • cloggsy
    jds_1981 wrote:
    cloggsy wrote:

Interesting, how do you mount it? I'm trying to find one I can attach discretely to my handlebars which the attachments for the contourhd definitely aren't..

I've mounted mine to the top on my helmet; there is an attachment included to mount the camera to your bars, but I always think vibration through the forks is a problem & causes the vid' to be bad distorted at times...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cloggsy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats pretty impressive looking for the price! Can you post a sample video when you've got some footage?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I can't open the link to that specific camera (firewall) but can get in through Chinavision. Which camera is being discussd, I can see 4 listed from £19.82 to £60.78.
  • cloggsy
    notsoblue wrote:
    cloggsy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Thats pretty impressive looking for the price! Can you post a sample video when you've got some footage?

Will do :wink:
  • cloggsy
    I can't open the link to that specific camera (firewall) but can get in through Chinavision. Which camera is being discussd, I can see 4 listed from £19.82 to £60.78.

It's the £60 one.

The Poseidon 720P HD Waterproof :wink:
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    cloggsy wrote:

It's the £60 one.

Ah thanks. It looks massive :shock:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    How well does it perform at night?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy wrote:

It's the £60 one.

It isn't too bad I think...

camera.JPG

It's fairly light anyway...

I don't know how well it performs in low light conditions, but I guess I'll find out in due course :lol:
  • d.mart
    d.mart Posts: 88
    Thought about getting something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spy-Sunglasse ... 1c1c405d00

anyone got experience with em? Only thing against I can tell is the monster arms to fit the electronics in...
  • DonDaddyD
    cloggsy wrote:
    cloggsy wrote:

It's the £60 one.

It isn't too bad I think...

camera.JPG

It's fairly light anyway...

I don't know how well it performs in low light conditions, but I guess I'll find out in due course :lol:

Jesus Christ! I ride around with that on my head SO19 will come after me... Do they have smaller ones?
    Food Chain number = 4