Do you fear death.....?

2»

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I don't, that's why I don't wear a helmet. And there's documentary evidence on DVDs from both the late 60s and the more recent past that death is but a slight interruption to the normal routine. Randall & Hopkirk put any doubts of mine to rest on that score.

I think being scared of death is entirely normal & natural; it's what keeps us alive ultimately. Whoever said earlier about being more worried of the effect on your immediate family got it right - I'd hate to leave a young family behind, but if death beckons at a decent old age and it's possible to look back at it all and think 'that went well', I suspect it'd be easier to face up to it.
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    To be honest, I seem to come from a different perspective to most here- the thought of my own death scares me silly. Not so much the act- pain passes- but the idea of nothingness, of knowing nothing, of being nothing, of feeling nothing for eternity. Though, annoyingly, I started wondering about an eternity of knowing, of life, the other day- and it also scared me silly.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Firstly I am sorry to hear about your situation GTV.
    As for the death subject ,I never reslly thought about it until 3 years ago when my wife,who was 33 at the time, became ill ! Something began to attack her Nervous system and she lost the use of her right leg,then she developed weakness in her right arm and several other symptoms. 3 years,4 MRI scans and 2 Lumbar punctures on and we stll dont have a full diagnosis but the Neurologist suspects MS !!

She has an uncertain future,she is in and out of a wheelchair or on crutches with a leg brace ,we dont know what will happen next week,or next year ,but she is the most positive and life loving person I have ever known.
    She always tells me to live every day to its maximum potential.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,014
    My closest friend is in a similar position to you, GTV. His mum had been in remission but now her cancer has returned and is terminal.

While she is healthy, they have made all necessary legal and finincial arrangements together for when she does pass away, so that they don't have to worry about it all when she gets very sick. That off their minds, they are getting on with living in the moment. I can't imagine a better attitude to take.

So, it seems to me that she is not afraid, no, and her philosophical and matter of fact outlook seems to be easing the experience for those around her as well.

This family, who I admire, are making best efforts to accept the inevitable but not to lament it for the entire remaining time and so spoil it for themselves. They aren't ignoring it by any means - holidays are being extended and brought forward and so on and they are living in a temporary and extended summer which will have to end soon, but which they will treasure. I know it sounds trite, but their "streuth mate, that's crap, have a beer" approach is actually working (they are antipodean, incidentally, hence the pythonesque stereotype language).
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    dunnnooo wrote:
    To be honest, I seem to come from a different perspective to most here- the thought of my own death scares me silly. Not so much the act- pain passes- but the idea of nothingness, of knowing nothing, of being nothing, of feeling nothing for eternity. Though, annoyingly, I started wondering about an eternity of knowing, of life, the other day- and it also scared me silly.

Yep, thought of that too, what would eternal life be like? Would you get bored after a while and seek to end it all anyway? The least I hope for is to live a healthy life untill at least my children are grown up and living their own lives, ideally I would like to see their chilren gorw up as well.

With regards to death and talking about it, my Mum died when I was about 14 but her illness (cancer) was never discussed (nor after either) - I really wish it had been and that we (the children) been given the chance to spend more time with her rather than being away from the house like typical teenagers (I suppose that is why it wasn't discussed, so we could spend the time like that). At least she died at home, when I go I have told my wife I would like to die somewhere of natural beauty rather then a hospital room or even home.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I'm a follower of the Greek philosopher, Epicurus. One of his teachings was that the two greatest barriers to a man's happiness are fear of death and fear of God.

I'm a very happy person.

One shouldn't fear God and Death together. Belief in one implies that the other can't exist. (or maybe i need to take philosophy theory!)

As to me, if I die before my children and after my enemies that would be some compensation for having to go.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I don't fear it so long as it happens in the right order, a parent should never outlive their child.

I'm 40 and until 2 months ago still had 3 grandparents, now down to 1 after both Grandads going within a few weeks of each other. They were both in their 90's survived the 2nd world war and were survived by all of their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren so whilst I'll miss them it was hard to feel too sad.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Sorry to hear that GTV, having seen a very close friend of my ex's, and my sister in law I can sympathise wholeheartedly. A close MTB buddy dropped down dead over christmas, he was only 36, and I think I can honestly say it's spurred me into not wasting any opportunity and certainly not fearing death.

Having succesfully raised two children and seen one grandchild I think I can honestly say my legacy to the world is complete and I have well and truly left my mark on the world. If i go I will be well and truly remembered so I certainly don't fear death, and once dead and buried I really won't be in a position to worry about anything or have regrets so death has no fear at all for me.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • pedylan wrote:
    I'm a follower of the Greek philosopher, Epicurus. One of his teachings was that the two greatest barriers to a man's happiness are fear of death and fear of God.

I'm a very happy person.

One shouldn't fear God and Death together. Belief in one implies that the other can't exist. (or maybe i need to take philosophy theory!)

As to me, if I die before my children and after my enemies that would be some compensation for having to go.

Depends on your god of choice, really. The Greek ones were vengeful buggers who didn't much care for mortals at all, alive or dead. Unless they had a nice rack and Hera was looking the other way.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I wouldn't want to leave the youngster without a father but the missus has a good head on her shoulders so know she'd remarry well.
  • I wouldn't want to leave the youngster without a father but the missus has a good head on her shoulders so know she'd remarry well.

Discussed what the wife would do if anything was to happen to me. Initially she said she could never re-marry, but after I explained that if she fell in love again, and if he were a good man able to make her and the kids happy I wouldn’t mind, she agreed she might. So I asked, if he might live in our house, drive my car and wear my clothes. Mrs Wbw said probably not, but I argued that it might make sense. Then I asked if she would let him ride my bike? No she said – he’s already got a Madone :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    hahahahaha!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,382
    hahahahaha!

Who'd have thought you can tell nervous laughter over the internet?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    not scared of death just scared of not achieving the goals I have set for my life although they do change as time goes past.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9