Wiggins should forget Olympics

13»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,161
    Really? The Tour is 3 weeks of TV advertising space to sell, whereas the Olympics cycling is how many days (and diluted by BBC's rival coverage).

Plus, there's no advertising at the Olympics.

(Note: by this I mean no personal or team sponsorship beyond the kit manufacturers regualr logo (so no 'Sky' on the kit). There's also no billboards at the venues).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Doesn't look like 'G' will be helping Brad out next year :-

Geraint Thomas says he will probably have to sacrifice next year's Tour de France in his bid to defend the Olympic track cycling team pursuit title. "I could still ride it but I could miss it as well, I don't want to jeopardise my preparation for the track as it means so much," Thomas told BBC Wales
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    pat1cp wrote:

Geraint Thomas says he will probably have to sacrifice next year's Tour de France in his bid to defend the Olympic track cycling team pursuit title. "I could still ride it but I could miss it as well, I don't want to jeopardise my preparation for the track as it means so much," Thomas told BBC Wales

Idiot.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    pat1cp wrote:

Idiot.

If you actually read the quote, he hasn't decided yet. I know they were going to do some tests on him to see how his body recovers post Tour in the timeframe required to ride the team pursuit, when they get those results they'll have a good idea whether it is realistic for Wiggins and him. I think Wiggins will ride it if he has form like this year. Thomas might focus on the Giro, or he could pull out of the Tour after two weeks, or he could decide he'll have time to recover, we're going to have to wait and see.
  • LeicesterLad
    BigMat wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

Idiot.

If you actually read the quote, he hasn't decided yet. I know they were going to do some tests on him to see how his body recovers post Tour in the timeframe required to ride the team pursuit, when they get those results they'll have a good idea whether it is realistic for Wiggins and him. I think Wiggins will ride it if he has form like this year. Thomas might focus on the Giro, or he could pull out of the Tour after two weeks, or he could decide he'll have time to recover, we're going to have to wait and see.

I know its probably sensible, its just pulling out of the Tour to ride around in circles? meh, each to their own.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,161
    I know its probably sensible, its just pulling out of the Tour to ride around in circles? meh, each to their own.

It's not just riding around in circles though, is it? It's the Olympics on home soil. That's comes around once in a lifetime if you're lucky. There's a Tour every year. He'll probably do at least ten of them in his career.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    .....the tour route is a factor too i suspect.
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:

It's not just riding around in circles though, is it? It's the Olympics on home soil. That's comes around once in a lifetime if you're lucky. There's a Tour every year. He'll probably do at least ten of them in his career.

Seeing as its you Rich i'll concede defeat on those points. But my opinion on the olympics is very low in general anyway, so im rather one track minded (no pun intended)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wiggins gains some respect for targetting Tour over Olympics.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9218/ ... ances.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest