Wiggins should forget Olympics

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Don't forget that future lottery funding is based on Olympic perforamnces for cycling so we have to put best riders in, and our future riders come from track background initially.

And that's why we will never have a large group of good climbers

Possibly not having high mountains to train on from early in your career might be a bigger reason.

Blasting up Rosedale Chimney Bank or the Hardknott Pass is completely different to climbing Alp d'Huez or the Galibier.

I think Wiggo & G will do the Tour and the Team pursuit won't they? There is a fortnight between them.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128

They're unusual, and they were different times.

Who was the last climber you saw do well on the track?

Depends on what you mean by a climber, i.e. a superlight pure climber like Pantani, or a diesel like Wiggins.

The point remains that the ability to ride fast on a track does not mean that the same rider can't go uphill fast. Most endurance track riders are talented road riders too.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    t4tomo wrote:
    Possibly not having high mountains to train on from early in your career might be a bigger reason.
    Not really - Holland has plenty of good climbers and makes Norfolk look mountainous; Flanders similar; plenty French climbers from Brittany etc, also not very hilly. The track focus is I think the main reason for the UK; just like in Australia, producing comparatively many sprinters and TTers (with notable exceptions ;) ).
  • Sky (the company) wants the team to do the Olympics over the Tour for the very simple reason that the exposure is far greater.
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Sounds like he's going to do both.

His priority sounds like being the Tour, which is good news I think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... mpics.html
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    andyp wrote:

They're unusual, and they were different times.

Who was the last climber you saw do well on the track?

Depends on what you mean by a climber, i.e. a superlight pure climber like Pantani, or a diesel like Wiggins.

The point remains that the ability to ride fast on a track does not mean that the same rider can't go uphill fast. Most endurance track riders are talented road riders too.

I would't refer to wiggins as any form of out and out climber. He can get up a mountain, in very 'ill just go at my own pace' type of style, but he could not attack on a proper climb and ride away from a bunch.
  • Mac9
    I would't refer to wiggins as any form of out and out climber. He can get up a mountain, in very 'ill just go at my own pace' type of style, but he could not attack on a proper climb and ride away from a bunch.[/quote]

Will Britain ever have an out and out climber? I can't see it myself, the way the sport is set up in this country unless an anomoly pops out of the blue.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    Err, Robert Millar?
  • Mac9
    Ha sorry I meant coming through the ranks in the next few years!

Unless an epic comeback is on the cards?!
  • LeicesterLad
    Mac9 wrote:

How old is G? I'd like to think he could be a great GC contender and climber, but he would need a lot of help, a lot of the right training, and a lot of the right support, so it probably won't happen, as for up and commers, meh, you're right, sod all.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Mac9 wrote:

How old is G? I'd like to think he could be a great GC contender and climber, but he would need a lot of help, a lot of the right training, and a lot of the right support, so it probably won't happen, as for up and commers, meh, you're right, sod all.

I think Geraint's future lies in the classics and the shorter stage races. He'd need to completely change his training to become a GC contender and even then it may not work.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Surely he'll ride the tour, if he stays in contention then he'll put the effort in but if he falls behind he'll just stay out of trouble and save his puff for the track?
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Good man.

It is a similar case with Spain and going for the GC of one of the 3 Grand Tours. For the spanish viewer winning the World Cup, Flanders or Paris Roubaix is worth less than GC of any of those races therefore having riders such as Samuel Sanchez focusing on the wrong thing.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    andyp wrote:
    Err, Robert Millar?

+1

The Frandy's are out and out climbers and have suffered in a similar way to Robert Millar.

I shall probably be abroad next summer watching the TDF and trying to avoid the Seb 'Nike' Coe Olympics.

Have you heard the latest garbage, apparently it's going to be OK to be tested for recreational drugs at the Olympics if you are a competitor as long as they are not performance enhancing, what do the police and the shooting competitors think about that?

£7.2 billion and rising. :shock:
  • LeicesterLad
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Err, Robert Millar?

+1

The Frandy's are out and out climbers and have suffered in a similar way to Robert Millar.

I shall probably be abroad next summer watching the TDF and trying to avoid the Seb 'Nike' Coe Olympics.

Have you heard the latest garbage, apparently it's going to be OK to be tested for recreational drugs at the Olympics if you are a competitor as long as they are not performance enhancing, what do the police and the shooting competitors think about that?

Don't get me started, the Olympics makes me sick. physically.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Mac9 wrote:

I think Geraint's future lies in the classics and the shorter stage races. He'd need to completely change his training to become a GC contender and even then it may not work.

I thought Peter Kennaugh was Sky's longterm GC prospect ?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Err, Robert Millar?

+1

I don't have a problem with the Olympics personally. It's the ridiculous hype and the sheer costs that bothers me. You kust know that if the Olympic venues were built by say Tesco or someone else with that kind of experience of procurement and large building projects then it would have probably cost half as much.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Err, Robert Millar?

+1

I don't have a problem with the Olympics personally. It's the ridiculous hype and the sheer costs that bothers me. You kust know that if the Olympic venues were built by say Tesco or someone else with that kind of experience of procurement and large building projects then it would have probably cost half as much.

1+ on the cost's front, and the talk of 'offsetting the costs' through the new revenue that the site will create...heard that before.

My main issue with the olympics is this:-

Who gets up on a saturday morning and thinks, ooo, im going to go and buy a ticket to watch a hundred metre sprint at the local track and field event, or hmm, fancy going to watch some clay pigeon shooting, or some rowing at the weekend love? then the olympics comes round, everyone decides they give a sh*t for a month, and then all the showcased sports fade into abscurity for another 4 years, and then the new interest in sport and increase in revnue suddenly vanishes with it.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Sounds like Wiggins is more keen for the TDF then the Pics in London
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Brad just tweeted:

1 year to go to London 2012, but more importantly 11 months to go the 2012 TDF!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    http://twitter.com/#%21/bradwiggins/sta ... 1282296832
    1 year to go to London 2012, but more importantly 11months to go the 2012 TDF!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    http://twitter.com/#!/bradwiggins/status/96193851282296832

Well, since he's so keen, maybe he could concentrate on the 2011 Vuelta. I hear it's quite an important bike race...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

Well, since he's so keen, maybe he could concentrate on the 2011 Vuelta. I hear it's quite an important bike race...
    I thought he was but you know best...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Echo et les Boniments
    edited July 2011
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

OK then I'll take it back. We'll see how seriously he takes the Vuelta this year.
  • LeicesterLad
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

OK then I'll take it back. We'll see how seriously he'll take the Vuelta this year.

After his dissapointment in the tour? Pretty damn seriously i'll bet.

Think that tweet was aimed at all the speculation surrounding the Tour/Olympics decision.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

OK then I'll take it back. We'll see how seriously he takes the Vuelta this year.

As seriously as you can when he's first time back on the bike since he's crash is the start of the Vuelta I think.
  • I'm going to venture that when Mr Sky says 'I think you'll be concentrating your efforts on the Olympics, Mr Wiggins' his mind will be swiftly changed
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Really? The Tour is 3 weeks of TV advertising space to sell, whereas the Olympics cycling is how many days (and diluted by BBC's rival coverage).