• jig
    jig Posts: 134
    ^^^^ :D:D
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Rolf F wrote:
    Tomatpots wrote:
    Hi

I have a similar problem with my Ribble Gran Fondu. After about 300 miles it started creaking . Tried everything and eventually found that the creaking went when I "borrowed" my friends front wheel!!
    Could this be the bearings?
    As the bike is only 5 months old should Ribble replace/fix the ITM Aero2.4 wheels that came with the bike.

Any advice appreciated

I'd see if the wheel creaks in your friends bike as well.

In my experience, wheel bearings rattle rather than creak. Incidentally, my Gran Fondo started rattling recently (and I did initially think it was the wheels - Campag) - it appears to just have been the headset working a bit loose. I've tightened it up and the rattle seems to have disappeared but I was surprised it happened in the first place.

I've just had my LBS look at my Gran Fondo because after 6 months of regularly tightening the headset due to creaks, clicks and groans as well as play in the headset I was totally fed up. The mech immediately took the stem and cap off and then added a new small spacer. He tightened it up and hey presto silence.

My Gran Fondo was built in Jan this year.

When did you guys get yours?
  • I got my Cayo back this evening. The LBS stripped the headset and said it had not been greased, it was bone dry. They greased and re assembled the headset. They also put some grease on the stem and the bars. I took it for a run and the bike is creak free. Hopefully it stays that way. To the OP i would get the headset checked out for grease.
  • Could be that the front QR is too tight.....took me ages to find this out when i got mine.....sounded for ages like the BB, but it was the front wheel

My frame started creaking today,
    sounded like it was coming from the BB,
    Read this excellent thread.
    Front QR was too loose on mine, tightened it half a turn,
    and hey presto, creaking all gone.
    Thanks to all ( you saved me hours).
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Had creaking noise from my Basso. Turned out to be two things. First was a ferule turning in the housing which was being amplified by the frame to sound like it was coming from the BB. Second was the spokes on the rear wheel where they crossed at one point. Check tension and dab of grease and it stopped it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Just noticed this thread has become active again. The creaking in my bike turned out to be the headset/stem... tightened this up and it went away... thanks for all the replies guys.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0